E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
Bob Marly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 25
My Ride: 2003 330CI Vert
Key fob

Is it possible to reprogram my key fob to open my rag top remotely? And if so how?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404181409481.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	563771  
Bob Marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
djantlive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 201
My Ride: E46 M3
Smart top has a solution for Porsches. Not sure about bmw
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
E46DrEaMeR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 277
My Ride: 2002 320Cic
Your key fob can be coded to do this but in reality its a pta as you have to stand by the car after pressing the lock/unlock button 3 times till its open, but as said above smart top have a box you can wire in to do this with one touch which is much nicer to use, there is another box you can buy which does the same thing that's sold on ebay (link below) hth

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X46CB-Auto...item233c44e0d4
__________________
It's a ragtop thing....you wouldn't understand
E46DrEaMeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
ModBargains III
Sponsor
 
ModBargains III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: La Habra, CA
Posts: 1,063
My Ride: E46
You can program this with BMW Scanner 1.4. Like they said, you will still need to hold the button down until it finishes. But with this tool you can plug the car into your laptop and reprogram settings, such as unlock all with one button, remote top and windows down, and remote top and windows up.
__________________

Sales | Sales@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330
We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
allikanbe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 13
My Ride: 2006 330Ci Convertib
I found this online. It looks like the E46 does not have that option. The convertible top on my wife's Z4 could be opened with the remote, but it looks like the E46 cannot be programmed that way. I lost the formatting when I copied this.

Window Regulators/Sunroof
Convenience opening
Remote Control
=active
not active
When active, windows and sunroof (or soft top) can be
opened by pressing and holding the “unlock” button on
remote key.
This function is not available (with remote control) on
E46 convertible and E52 (Z8) vehicles. Convenient
opening feature in these vehicles works only when
locks are operated manually (key inserted in door
lock).
NOTE:
On E46 convertibles only windows are activated in manual
“convenience opening” mode, if the soft top storage box is
retracted (“space saving” feature).
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
dknightd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,017
My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains III View Post
You can program this with BMW Scanner 1.4. Like they said, you will still need to hold the button down until it finishes. But with this tool you can plug the car into your laptop and reprogram settings, such as unlock all with one button, remote top and windows down, and remote top and windows up.
That is what I did. I find it handy.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...scanner&page=3

Last edited by dknightd; 07-03-2014 at 07:19 AM.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
E46DrEaMeR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 277
My Ride: 2002 320Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe View Post
I found this online. It looks like the E46 does not have that option. The convertible top on my wife's Z4 could be opened with the remote, but it looks like the E46 cannot be programmed that way. I lost the formatting when I copied this.

Window Regulators/Sunroof
Convenience opening
Remote Control
=active
not active
When active, windows and sunroof (or soft top) can be
opened by pressing and holding the “unlock” button on
remote key.
This function is not available (with remote control) on
E46 convertible and E52 (Z8) vehicles. Convenient
opening feature in these vehicles works only when
locks are operated manually (key inserted in door
lock).
NOTE:
On E46 convertibles only windows are activated in manual
“convenience opening” mode, if the soft top storage box is
retracted (“space saving” feature).
with all due respect that's rubbish and I think you'll find many e46 vert owners will agree, also the lock/unlock has to be pressed 3 times to open close the roof.

roof close remotely video


roof open remotely video
__________________
It's a ragtop thing....you wouldn't understand
E46DrEaMeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
ModBargains III
Sponsor
 
ModBargains III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: La Habra, CA
Posts: 1,063
My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46DrEaMeR View Post
with all due respect that's rubbish and I think you'll find many e46 vert owners will agree, also the lock/unlock has to be pressed 3 times to open close the roof.

roof close remotely video


roof open remotely video
Correct. You can program the key fob to remotely close and open the windows and softtop. Since I also reprogrammed to one touch unlock all doors, I only have to press and hold the unlock button twice. This is a 2 minute programming job. Just plug in and check the box.
__________________

Sales | Sales@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330
We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
allikanbe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 13
My Ride: 2006 330Ci Convertib
I stand corrected. I took my E46 to the local autohaus today and they hooked it up to the computer and now the roof opens and closes with the key.
Thanks.
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #10
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member
 
DropTopKingM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 8,570
My Ride: All German
I had this feature unlocked like Modbargains said.. To be honest I really stopped using it after the 1st month. It got kinda old after a while.
__________________
..George..
..Is now Alpine White/Cinnamon...

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^

Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 07-03-2014 at 11:39 PM.
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use