E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 12:25 AM   #21
Gatriel

My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1lama View Post
Im excited to hear your feedback!
Me too. Unit cleared customs in Ohio yesterday. Should arrive in Texas Saturday or Monday. Then I get it next Saturday. Will probably install it then.

More of my posts get deleted than anyone elses.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #22
AJ145

My Ride: 330CD, 147GTA, 145QV
I have also ordered this unit too in the UK, I hope to receive next week. I am interested in if it can take a larger USB HDD than 32GB.
I also have to do the centre console modification to relocate the air con controls
AJ145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #23
Gatriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ145 View Post
I have also ordered this unit too in the UK, I hope to receive next week. I am interested in if it can take a larger USB HDD than 32GB.
I also have to do the centre console modification to relocate the air con controls
You and me both. I keep being told on the German forums only 32 Gb, which is a downer, but I am using this for streaming more than anything, so internal storage space isn't that big of a deal for me.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #24
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
I keep being told on the German forums only 32 Gb, which is a downer, but I am using this for streaming more than anything, so internal storage space isn't that big of a deal for me.
I assume they've tried formatting those "too large" external HDDs as FAT32?
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #25
AJ145

My Ride: 330CD, 147GTA, 145QV
I read the (translated) German thread but I did not find a reference to the 32GB limit?

There is a lot of information on this XDA Developers thread regarding similar units: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660662

I just got my unit in, only 3 days shipping from hongkong.

Ive powered the unit via an ATX powersupply
Its lovely,

-Plex works like a charm
-USB HDD works!!!
-Huawei E3131 (enternal antenna) works
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=574

The 32Gb limit is software defined, pretty sure I ve read a post saying larger cards worked but if they dont then is pretty easy to remove the limit, search xda for details of how to (I cant remember).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=911

The 32gb limit is just software defined, it can easily be changed to a 1tb limit, search xda or the AN21-U thread for instructions.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=513

- I have over 80GB of music which I use an iPod classic in my current stereo, I understand that the HuiFei iPod interface is atrocious, and this unit has a 32GB limit with SD cards, so will I be able to use an external hard drive (say a 128GB SSD) plugged into the back?"
As long as the SSD is self-powered and formatted as FAT32, it should be ok.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=478

I cannot find first hand somebody who has it working so I am gambling on it - I have 1TB working with USB ORG on my Nexus 7 and Samsung S3 so it is not an Android/hardware restriction. Hopefully any limits can be removed in software. We will see....
AJ145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #26
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfer View Post
For both my E46 installs so far, I've mounted the nav antenna in the location the BMW instructions give for the official TrafficPro retrofit:

If you remove the instrument console, there's a platform underneath for sit on:

Easy access and no problems with satellite reception.
It will also work when attached to the crossmember directly behind the HU. Nice and tidy with no wiring to route.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #27
Gatriel

Ordered the hotspot for my car today.

I got 3 Gb of 3G data per month, with a WiFi hotspot, 50 startup credit, no activation fee, and 30 wifi modem+router. 10 a month.

Figure its worth it.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #28
SmokeyDP

My Ride: 2001 M3
If you run the GPS wire to where the ABS pump is under the hood you can also attach the antenna on top of your cabin air filter box. It's directly under the small black mesh grill on the hood. I did this with my Sirius XM receiver which seems more sensitive than a GPS receiver and have zero issues.
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #29
Gatriel

As people begin to receive these units, videos start popping up. I'll keep post #3 updated.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #30
Stak0

My Ride: 2005 M3 Convertible
I found this one independently on Alibaba. Ordered and received. But like stupid dumba$$ didn't get the 6m extension. Now I gotta drive for whoknowshowlong with a hole in my dash 'coz I pulled the old one out and I ain't putting it back.
Stak0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:43 AM   #31
Gatriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stak0 View Post
I found this one independently on Alibaba. Ordered and received. But like stupid dumba$$ didn't get the 6m extension. Now I gotta drive for whoknowshowlong with a hole in my dash 'coz I pulled the old one out and I ain't putting it back.
haha bummer! Yeah, I bought the 6m cable, just to discover 2 days ago I do not need it. eBay Kleinanzeigen it goes.

I think I'll be the first e46fanatics member to get this thing installed and post pics/videos.

There is talk on the German e46 fanatics that the unit as shipping is designed for RHD drive cars, and the FM antenna wire as well as the USB output on the back of the radio make it impossible to install without modifying the black plastic support structure behind the radio.

I'll check and verify this this Saturday, and then post a DIY on how to get around this. Kinda annoying to have to deal with, given the other units don't have this issue -- but still for $300 their junior it seems worth it.

Last edited by Gatriel; 07-17-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #32
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
This is awesome that you are testing it out, and the German fanatics have been using it. But the cheap stuff can allow bad things to happen. One member on this forum bought a low cost Chinese unit that looks no different from yours and smelled an electrical burn. Pulled it out and there were some melted wires that could've caught fire. Everything was supposedly installed and wired correctly. These aren't that hard. Do you have an extinguisher? Just sayin'

AERA Hi-Perf Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

Last edited by BartenderPlease; 07-17-2014 at 09:43 AM.
BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #33
Gatriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartenderPlease View Post
This is awesome that you are testing it out, and the German fanatics have been using it. But the cheap stuff can allow bad things to happen. One member on this forum bought a low cost Chinese unit that looks no different from yours and smelled an electrical burn. Pulled it out and there were some melted wires that could've caught fire. Everything was supposedly installed and wired correctly. These aren't that hard. Do you have an extinguisher? Just sayin'

haha,

yeah, I hope it doesn't burn the car to the ground. If it does, maybe it'll take out my apartment complex.

In all seriousness, Erisin is a company that has been around for a few years and a few generations on the German forums -- and nothing has burned to the ground yet. The largest complaint about the unit right now I am seeing is having to modify the bracket behind the radio to get it to fit correctly.

When I did 12 volt install at CarToys (until my location closed) and then at Circuit City (until they filed Chapter 7) and then Best Buy -- I had to do this all the time to Chevy S10s -- so taking a dremel or a soldering iron to a worthless piece of plastic that no one ever sees isn't that scary for me.

I'll post up some pictures, and videos as I said before. I get the unit on Saturday morning, and will have photos and videos up at Saturday night.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #34
LiquidWater

My Ride: 2002 325i
Does this one's hardware work with other apps? For example the FM radio? I want to get one of these units but I don't like having to use their apps...
Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #35
Gatriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidWater View Post
Does this one's hardware work with other apps? For example the FM radio? I want to get one of these units but I don't like having to use their apps...
IDK. If you make me a list of 3 or 4 free apps I'll glady try it. I am planning on using Waze as opposed to iGo.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #36
Stak0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
haha bummer! Yeah, I bought the 6m cable, just to discover 2 days ago I do not need it. eBay Kleinanzeigen it goes.

I think I'll be the first e46fanatics member to get this thing installed and post pics/videos.

There is talk on the German e46 fanatics that the unit as shipping is designed for RHD drive cars, and the FM antenna wire as well as the USB output on the back of the radio make it impossible to install without modifying the black plastic support structure behind the radio.

I'll check and verify this this Saturday, and then post a DIY on how to get around this. Kinda annoying to have to deal with, given the other units don't have this issue -- but still for $300 their junior it seems worth it.
I ordered the cable yesterday and they shipped it immediately. But it's free shipping so I don't expect it to arrive sooner than in 2 weeks. By then you'll hopefully post your DYI videos and I hope it won't be a total PITA to install.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #37
Stak0

Anyone knows whether there is any installation differences for cars with Harman Kardon?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #38
Gatriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stak0 View Post
Anyone knows whether there is any installation differences for cars with Harman Kardon?
No idea. Is the HK's OEM Amp's inputs high level (already amplified at the head-unit) or low level (not amplified at the head-unit?)

If they are high level inputs -- then you can bypass the factory amplifier with just the regular install.

If they are low level inputs you can build your own harness and integrate the factory amp into the new unit, and if you don't mind running some wire, gain independent control of the sub with this unit as well.

If someone can opine as to which input source the OEM HK amp has, I can answer this question and come up with a "How-to" in the quickness.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #39
Stak0

Yeah, well.. I have no idea either. I guess we gonna find out soon enough.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:33 AM   #40
Goodfella.

My Ride: E46M3/E28ETA
hmmmmmm
Goodfella. is offline   Reply With Quote