E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #41
Gatriel
Gr Di'

My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stak0 View Post
Yeah, well.. I have no idea either. I guess we gonna find out soon enough.
Well, even if it is a low-level output, then it isn't that big of a deal -- two of these;

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga...=RCA+bare+wire

will solve the problem.

More of my posts get deleted than anyone elses.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:27 AM   #42
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I've no personal experience of HK integration and I'm wary of spreading mis-information, but since no-one else has replied....

I've read HK takes a high level input. But not full-on high level. It's about 5V. The Dynavins have an 'OEM Amp' option which attenuates the speaker level output to suit.

But I strongly recommend that you verify that elsewhere. I'm only repeating what I've heard!
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:20 AM   #43
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfer View Post
I've no personal experience of HK integration and I'm wary of spreading mis-information, but since no-one else has replied....

I've read HK takes a high level input. But not full-on high level. It's about 5V. The Dynavins have an 'OEM Amp' option which attenuates the speaker level output to suit.

But I strongly recommend that you verify that elsewhere. I'm only repeating what I've heard!
If its a 5v input -- seems quite goofy, I bet it would be in the high 5's -- and even without the OEM Amp option, you can cut your voltage by half with resistors run is series. But at this point your harness would start to look super FUGLY. I'd grab a PCB at radio shack with a plastic cover and start soldering.

Essentially with the two resistors, they have to be the same impedance -- but if you power one side of them, and then ground the other, the area between the two resistors has half the input voltage. So you would need 16 identical resistors in total -- so like I said a PCB is the way to go if indeed the OEM amp runs off inputs between 5.5-6.5 volts.

On an side, I received the unit yesterday, but wasn't able to put it in, as the unit was delivered by my mom visiting from the US, and I was a tour guide all day yesterday, and again today -- so tomorrow after work is looking like when its going to occur;

Pics;

So it looks like I have to get a bit creative with the rear plastic mounting bracket as the USB And GPS antenna will definitely prevent me from completely sitting the unit in OEM brackets without modification.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #44
Stak0

My Ride: 2005 M3 Convertible
Whoa. What's that router for?
Stak0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #45
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I like the way you mounted the USB socket in place of the lighter. Neat.
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #46
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Thanks!

I think this part is for a VW or Audi, but scheie egal -- it works great and I'm too lazy to take a dremel to anything.

Router is for the unit. 3Gb of data per month just for my iPhone and this thing.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 AM   #47
hardrivn

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
This thing looks great, few questions to those who bought one.
Do the steering wheel audio and Bluetooth controls work with it?
What about the factory Bluetooth microphone? Anyone try reusing it?
How is the audio in a call for both parties?
hardrivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #48
kayone

My Ride: 320 M Sport Coupe
Is the extention cable required for all E46's?
kayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #49
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayone View Post
Is the extention cable required for all E46's?
No, just ones with Professional Navigation or Business Navigation systems with a "TP Mode" button.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 AM   #50
Gatriel
Gr Di'

So I got it installed and a few things I found;

First, there is a great place for the GPS antenna behind the gauge cluster. Its a flat space with plents of room to access it, and simple to mount with some 3M double-sided foam tape. Remove it with a T15.

And I can confirm that due to USB placement as well as GPS antenna placement, on LHD cars, you have to take a piece out of the back plastic bracket as well as the support bracket behind there. You could use a dremel, but that would be pretty dangerous to do, given the small space. I recommending using a butane soldering iron.

On to what I like (thus far); (After about an hour of use)

1) The price. At half the Avant 2 and AVIC 2 prices with similar featuers -- you simply cannot beat it.
2) The screen looks awesome.
3) Menu options, for the most part are quite good -- and being Android, its fairly intuitive.

On to what I don't like;
1) the OEM built in colors are not a perfect match (think VW Red not BMW Orange). You can chose manual colors and get it exact yourself, but this was a tad annoying.

2) having to modify the bracket to get USB And GPS antenna to fit properly. This is a form fitting unit, and thus it should be form fitting and simply plug and play.

3) FM radio reception is quite poor. After reading around I think this is more the OEM BMW antenna than the unit itself, but it should have come with an antenna adapter (3a) which it did not. I used a Metra 40-EU10 and it was plug and play after hooking powered FM antenna wire.

4) When there is no audio source selected, there is a slight buzzing out of front driver's side speaker. When there is an audio source selected, even with "mute" selected, you can still hear it.

5) I am not sure if this is just my router, but for the first 30 seconds or so, Jellybean keeps trying to mount my wireless router, and there is a sound associated with mounting and unmounting devices. You cannot disable this sound, so for the first 30 seconds there is a "blinging" sound. I can solve this if I simply independely power the router, which I might do.

6) iGo maps do not display at all. Literally nothing. The unit knows my location, but other than that -- zero. I think it has American maps, and the unit is in Germany. I need to talk with Erisin about this to figure out how to fix it.

7) Some apps do not download. It throws random errors, and I have no idea when/how to replicate this.

8) GPS sense time only works if you manually select the correct time zone.

I am going to add this post to the first page, and as I get solutions I will update it there.

Overall - its 65764273357x better than OEM, and the possabilities are awesome. This is a new learning curve for me -- as this is my first interaction ever with a Android based system, so I imagine most of the software issues above would be non-issues if I were better with Android.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #51
Stak0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Thanks!

Router is for the unit. 3Gb of data per month just for my iPhone and this thing.
Oh I see. I'm gonna use my phone's hotspot for that.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #52
Stak0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrivn View Post
This thing looks great, few questions to those who bought one.
Do the steering wheel audio and Bluetooth controls work with it?
What about the factory Bluetooth microphone? Anyone try reusing it?
How is the audio in a call for both parties?
I would like to know that too.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #53
Goodfella.

My Ride: E46M3/E28ETA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
2) having to modify the bracket to get USB And GPS antenna to fit properly. This is a form fitting unit, and thus it should be form fitting and simply plug and play.

6) iGo maps do not display at all. Literally nothing. The unit knows my location, but other than that -- zero. I think it has American maps, and the unit is in Germany. I need to talk with Erisin about this to figure out how to fix it.
How about a GPS tether app? Will that work? There are several on the Google Play Store.

Also, in regards to modifying the "bracket" what exactly are you cutting? I've never taken the OEM headunit out, so I'm not sure what bracket you speak of.

Also where did you buy the unit from? Do you have a link?

Last edited by Goodfella.; 07-22-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Goodfella. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:58 AM   #54
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
I would like to know that too.
So --

Steering wheel controls work, and you can independently program the buttons. The programming of buttons is rather limited, as you are limited to certain functions, but from what I understand there are ways of programming certain buttons to activate specific aps, which is what I want to do.

I am using the Mic that was built into the front of the unit for aesthetic purposes. I don't want to see a non-oem mic anywhere in the car, and because the climate control thing near the sunroof is used, unless call quality is bad I will keep using the mic built into the front of the unit.

I'll post up a link on here, but just google Erisin and their webstore comes right up.

I haven't called anyone with the system yet.

There is a plastic bracket behind where the oem radio goes, as depicted in the photo. Simply take a chunk out of it on the drivers side about the size of a half dollar and it fits perfectly no problem.

I'll address this stuff more later. Work is crazy this week.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #55
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
That's not a "bracket" you took a chunk out of....it's the HVAC airbox....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-23-2014 at 06:03 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #56
SmokeyDP

My Ride: 2001 M3
I guess he doesn't have to worry about his radio overheating in the summer time, or the warm up period in the winter.
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #57
Goodfella.

My Ride: E46M3/E28ETA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions View Post
That's not a "bracket" you took a chunk I out of....it's the HVAC airbox....
That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure.
Goodfella. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #58
AJ145

My Ride: 330CD, 147GTA, 145QV
I see your issue after fitting mine today - the radio is designed for rhd and the angle of the HVAC box only just allows the USB plug to clear as there is slightly more space begins for rhd. LHD will really struggle. Ideally the sockets should be moved up a bit higher or recessed into the unit, or lost the DVD slot and avoid the need for full depth. That aside mine is and working and I'm quite happy with it except:
  • what are the side brackets included for? i couldn't see where they would mount to
  • bottom retaining springs - these don't really hold the bottom in and i had a lot of play when pressing the lower half of the screen. i overcame this by packing out the top with a few washers, but the trim doesn't quite fit correctly

I just need to work on the mounting to see if I can improve it, but it is a massive step up from my previous Parrot Asteroid.

BTW -it reads a 500tb USB HDD fine. In using power amp with fodder browsing and it just works like it should.
AJ145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #59
Stak0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions View Post
That's not a "bracket" you took a chunk out of....it's the HVAC airbox....
I don't like the sound of that.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 AM   #60
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
I don't like the sound of that.
Yeup -- awesome. Well, this is what happens when you get the unit for half price.