E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 05:11 AM   #61
hardrivn

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Would something like this prevent the need to cut into the HVAC http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB2-0-A-M-F...item1c194d79d2

Brian M
1990 E30 M3 Sold 2014
2005 330CIC 6sp ZHP
2006 Mini Cooper S
2011 Toyota Venza my Snow and Tow vehicle
hardrivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 AM   #62
Gatriel

My Ride: IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrivn View Post
Would something like this prevent the need to cut into the HVAC http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB2-0-A-M-F...item1c194d79d2

Brian M
1990 E30 M3 Sold 2014
2005 330CIC 6sp ZHP
2006 Mini Cooper S
2011 Toyota Venza my Snow and Tow vehicle
Its already been tried on German version of this site. The problem is the GPS antenna more than anything. If you are more discrete with your soldering iron, you could make the hole the size of Abe's head on a penny and accomplish the same thing. I, admittadly, got a little "trigger happy" when I took out a chunk the size of a half dollar.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #63
Goodfella.

My Ride: E46M3/E28ETA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Its already been tried on German version of this site. The problem is the GPS antenna more than anything. If you are more discrete with your soldering iron, you could make the hole the size of Abe's head on a penny and accomplish the same thing. I, admittadly, got a little "trigger happy" when I took out a chunk the size of a half dollar.
If you just tether gps off your Phone and don't even plug in the antenna would that work? You mentioned the gps couldn't locate you anyway
Goodfella. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #64
Gatriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella. View Post
If you just tether gps off your Phone and don't even plug in the antenna would that work? You mentioned the gps couldn't locate you anyway
I guess you could do that. I did get it to locate with Google Maps, the problem is I have American maps on a unit that is in Germany.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #65
SmokeyDP

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Yeup -- awesome. Well, this is what happens when you get the unit for half price.
Sorry but paying cheaper for a unit doesn't prevent the person from using common sense and hooking up a $9 USB cable to reroute it out of the way.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U00...+degree&dpPl=1
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #66
Gatriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyDP View Post
Sorry but paying cheaper for a unit doesn't prevent the person from using common sense and hooking up a $9 USB cable to reroute it out of the way.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U00...+degree&dpPl=1
Yeah, I mean, fück me --

NVM that the GPS antenna is the problem, even with materially shorter right angle USB cables than the one you posted.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #67
Goodfella.

Quote:
I guess you could do that. I did get it to locate with Google Maps, the problem is I have American maps on a unit that is in Germany.
Quote:
Yeah, I mean, fück me --

NVM that the GPS antenna is the problem, even with materially shorter right angle USB cables than the one you posted.
Did you get a chance to try one of the GPS tethering apps? Maybe if the unit uses the GPS from your phone, rather than the one with the unit, then the unit will think it's in the US.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #68
Gatriel

Quote:
Did you get a chance to try one of the GPS tethering apps? Maybe if the unit uses the GPS from your phone, rather than the one with the unit, then the unit will think it's in the US.
I don't want to teather my phone to this unit. I bought a dedicated hotspot for my car (which I cannot get to automatically turn on with USB power ) and want to use that.

Moreover, the maps are American maps, but the car and the unit are in Germany, so getting the car to think it is in the United States wouldn't help me at all. haha
Old 07-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #69
Goodfella.

OR----does the unit have Bluetooth?

If so, you can tether via Bluetooth, and get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BT-3...=bluetooth+gps
Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #70
Gatriel

Quote:
OR----does the unit have Bluetooth?

If so, you can tether via Bluetooth, and get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BT-3...=bluetooth+gps
Thanks for the tip, but I am going to leave it the way it is. The GPS antenna works great, and while it sucks this is the way it is, I am already thinking about how to solve the problem, and will get around to it -- if I ever experience problems with the status-quo.

Leaking either cold, or warm air behind the dash is peanuts compared to the greenhouse effect that exists with the black dash in the summer.

Thanks for the idea though. Good thinking.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #71
Goodfella.

Quote:
I don't want to teather my phone to this unit. I bought a dedicated hotspot for my car (which I cannot get to automatically turn on with USB power ) and want to use that.

Moreover, the maps are American maps, but the car and the unit are in Germany, so getting the car to think it is in the United States wouldn't help me at all. haha
ahhhh, okay. thought you were in the US.

oops, lol.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #72
hardrivn

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Yeah, I mean, fück me --

Any thoughts on a right angle gps antenna, looks like an MCX connector and they are pretty standard, http://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Extension...ds=gps+antenna
hardrivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #73
Gatriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrivn View Post
Any thoughts on a right angle gps antenna, looks like an MCX connector and they are pretty standard, http://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Extension...ds=gps+antenna
That *might* work. When I was intalling it, the unit would seat without the GPS antenna installed, however as soon as I inserted a bluetooth USB donble, to test depth on the install, we are talking about MAYBE 1/8" clearance.

Even with the right angle GPS antenna it would still need to be trimmed, although materially less than what is currently is. If Erisin recessed the MCX into the unit, then there would be no problems, but alas, they did not.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #74
Stak0

My Ride: 2005 M3 Convertible
Quote:
That *might* work. When I was intalling it, the unit would seat without the GPS antenna installed, however as soon as I inserted a bluetooth USB donble, to test depth on the install, we are talking about MAYBE 1/8" clearance.

Even with the right angle GPS antenna it would still need to be trimmed, although materially less than what is currently is. If Erisin recessed the MCX into the unit, then there would be no problems, but alas, they did not.
What bluetooth USB dongle? I thought bluetooth was built-in?!?!
I didn't receive any bluetooth dongle with it WTF?
Stak0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:44 AM   #75
Gatriel

Oh just an extra I had lying around. I was using it to measure clearances before chopping up the hvac box.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #76
a1lama

My Ride: 330ci
So the bottom line is that the HVAC must be modified to fit this unit? Even with dongles and adapters?
a1lama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #77
Gatriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1lama View Post
So the bottom line is that the HVAC must be modified to fit this unit? Even with dongles and adapters?
Yeah, unless you don't want to use GPS and USB plugs. Then you don't need to modify it.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #78
Goodfella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1lama View Post
seems as though. Although he said it fit without the Bluetooth dongle/gps antenna...so like I said you can use a tethering app, and tether GPS from your phone.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #79
Gatriel

Sorry for the delay all. My mom is visiting me from the US right now, and with showing her around, other than installing this in the car, I just haven't had time for video with it. I'll still make videos showing off the unit after she heads back to the US next week.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #80
Stak0

My Ride: 2005 M3 Convertible
Ok. So I finally received the 6m extension cable and plugged it into the car cable I yanked out of the oem radio unit in trunk. I powered up the new radio and as far as I can tell it's working. Playing CD right now. The only problem is, that no sound coming out of speakers. Any pointers? I've go HK.
Stak0 is offline   Reply With Quote