E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #81
Gatriel
Gr Di'

My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stak0 View Post
Ok. So I finally received the 6m extension cable and plugged it into the car cable I yanked out of the oem radio unit in trunk. I powered up the new radio and as far as I can tell it's working. Playing CD right now. The only problem is, that no sound coming out of speakers. Any pointers? I've go HK.
Two things;

1) Sounds like you forgot to power the amp's switched accessory. Check the OEM harness --- is there is a blue or blue/white wire coming out of it that isn't connect to anything? If so, tie that into the red wire on the harness and that will fix your problem.

2) There is a subsetting within the menu to allow you to select various OEM amp options. Check that.

More of my posts get deleted than anyone elses.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #82
Stak0

My Ride: 2005 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Two things;

1) Sounds like you forgot to power the amp's switched accessory. Check the OEM harness --- is there is a blue or blue/white wire coming out of it that isn't connect to anything? If so, tie that into the red wire on the harness and that will fix your problem.

2) There is a subsetting within the menu to allow you to select various OEM amp options. Check that.
Thanks, but it was my own stupidity as usual. The plugs weren't in all the way. It's working now. The hardest part was to get that goddamn extension cable from the trunk to the front. Had to remove back seats and the side panel.
I bought the USB L-adaptor and with it, I didn't have major problem with fitting that thing in even with the GPS plugged in. I just pushed it in really hard. Maybe not the best way but I like it better than burning or filing a hole into my HVAC airbox.
I didn't bother with the radio antenna 'coz I NEVER listen to the radio and I didn't have the extension for it anyway.
I didn't get around to connect it to the Internet or test the GPS yet. I was too goddamn tired doing this thing in Florida heat in the middle of the day. Outside.
BTW, to my ears, it sounds 10x better than OEM. I played some Radiohead from CD and it was absolutely amazing.

The NAVI button doesn't do anything but that might be because I didn't set up anything at all yet.

Steering wheel controls: Volume and track change work perfectly. I didn't test anything else yet.
Stak0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #83
Stak0

Update: Tested a little bit more today. Cannot make the two phone related buttons work. On steering wheel. Maybe I'm missing some sub sub menu in settings but there is not that many settings available in the first place.
Also I can't find where to turn the hardware buttons illumination. I know they work because when I turn the radio on, they'll come on but they'll stay on only for about 2 seconds, then I never see them on again. Annoying at night.
WiFi reception is shitty. I've got much better reception with my phone at the same spot.
I figured out the NAVI button. Had to install iGo from the micro SD card which was already in it.
Works fine but I never liked iGO. I like Google maps and navigation much better but unfortunately I cannot tether my phone 'coz I there's no root for it available yet.
A2DP is flawless. Streamed music from my phone without any hiccups or weird noises. AUX is pointless now.
And again... the sound quality is AMAZING!!!

Last edited by Stak0; 08-10-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #84
Stak0

Another update: Finally had the time to set everything up properly. I yanked out the USB cable from the back because I've got absolutely no use for it. There is a mini USB port on the faceplate I intend to try out as soon as the SATA HDD adapter I've ordered arrives. If it won't work, no biggie. I've found 8GB microSD laying around and what won't fit on it, I'll just BT stream from my phone (with 64GB SD). I just stuck the GPS antenna onto some metal pipe on the right side (A/C?) just out of pure laziness. It works just fine there.
I was quite surprised how well everything, including subwoofer, works with just one cable. Well except for initiating phonecall from the steering wheel button. But that would require some rewiring I'm afraid and I don't need it THAT much.
The only other thing I need to figure out is the button illumination. I can change colors in settings and it changes on the fly but as soon as I'm done changing, the buttons never light up again. Got any ideas? Anyone?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #85
Stak0

One more thing I just realized I've got problem with. I can't find a way how to pair anything else besides my phone. There is no Bluetooth section in Settings.
I've tried to connect my OBDII BT dongle but I can't find a way to pair it.
I hoped the option might be hidden in the "Factory Settings" menu but it isn't.
The pass is 126 btw if anybody needs it.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #86
Stak0

Quote:
One more thing I just realized I've got problem with. I can't find a way how to pair anything else besides my phone. There is no Bluetooth section in Settings.
I've tried to connect my OBDII BT dongle but I can't find a way to pair it.
I hoped the option might be hidden in the "Factory Settings" menu but it isn't.
The pass is 126 btw if anybody needs it.
Ok, nevedrmind that bluetooth. I've upgraded my system to v1.86
and the BT menu magically appeared .

Last edited by Stak0; 08-13-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #87
Epidemike

My Ride: 2004 330i
I wonder, since this is running Android 4.2.2 is there any options to go to 4.3 or 4.4 down the road. I dunno about you guys but having an upgrade path would be a key buying point for me.

Gatriel, can you provide any information on that USB/AUX thing in the cig lighter port? That looks like a nifty and clean.
Epidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #88
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemike View Post
I wonder, since this is running Android 4.2.2 is there any options to go to 4.3 or 4.4 down the road. I dunno about you guys but having an upgrade path would be a key buying point for me.

Gatriel, can you provide any information on that USB/AUX thing in the cig lighter port? That looks like a nifty and clean.
Yeah, I found it on Amazon here in Germany.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I am about to post up a couple videos and do a better write up. Sorry for the delays everyone.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #89
Stak0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemike View Post

I'm thinking about that one too but then... where would I plug my radar detector to???

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...743770888.html
Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #90
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Two new videos posted here;

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...42&postcount=3

Old 08-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #91
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
I'm thinking about that one too but then... where would I plug my radar detector to???

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...743770888.html
You can always hardwire the unit. Above the glove box you can use the flashlight charger wires for power and ground.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #92
Stak0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
You can always hardwire the unit. Above the glove box you can use the flashlight charger wires for power and ground.
I'd probably rather opt for something like that: http://www.amazon.com/MirrorMount-Ra.../dp/B0063N7HZE

But I'm kinda worried about opening that mirror and using its wires.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #93
robuphill

My Ride: 330ci
I have just bought one and now a bit confused....i have the oem nav kit in the boot so bought a 6m fakra cable, as far as i can see this plugs in the rear of the new unit, routes thru the car and then the big connector fits the connector removed from the bm54 unit. Now, does the other smaller connector attach to the canbus box?? How about the radio aerial? Also what about the small free cables that say amp ctrl and brake?? any help appreciated...
robuphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #94
Stak0

Quote:
Originally Posted by robuphill View Post
I have just bought one and now a bit confused....i have the oem nav kit in the boot so bought a 6m fakra cable, as far as i can see this plugs in the rear of the new unit, routes thru the car and then the big connector fits the connector removed from the bm54 unit. Now, does the other smaller connector attach to the canbus box?? How about the radio aerial? Also what about the small free cables that say amp ctrl and brake?? any help appreciated...
Yeah, I plugged the canbus to the cable, you can't get it wrong since it won't fit anywhere else, I didn't worry about those loose wires.
I didn't bother with the antenna because I didn't have an extension for it and I don't care for radio in the first place. So somebody else will have to help you with that.
The point is, it's pretty straightforward plug and play. Plug the FAKRA where it fits and that's pretty much it.
Update your system to v1.99 but leave your mcu file at v1.86. Then your SWC will work and you'll have button illumination as well. (with factory v1.77 I didn't have illumination and BT menu).
Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #95
robuphill

Cheers Buddy!

I have read that you need an antenna adapter, and an extension...ebay is calling i guess unless i stream the radio via bluetooth
Old 08-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #96
Stak0

Quote:
Cheers Buddy!

I have read that you need an antenna adapter, and an extension...ebay is calling i guess unless i stream the radio via bluetooth
Yep. I didn't want to bother with that. I have my phone wifi tethered and I listen to the internet radio or I can BT stream which works perfect and I've got microSD loaded with music and I'll try to plug in 320GB external HDD just for kicks. No biggie it it won't work. I've got a plenty of other options.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #97
Stak0

Now the only thing I'd like to do is to install a reverse camera but if that'll require me to run another wires from the back to the front, screw it. I'm too lazy to disassemble half of my car for $15 POS backup camera.

Last edited by Stak0; 08-22-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #98
robuphill

Dont believe it....installed perfectly, set up how i wanted, then driving along listening to spotify and it just died. Got home and it has power at the back, 12v...tried resetting and unplugging etc....FFS!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #99
Stak0

Quote:
Dont believe it....installed perfectly, set up how i wanted, then driving along listening to spotify and it just died. Got home and it has power at the back, 12v...tried resetting and unplugging etc....FFS!!!
Oh wow. That sucks. There is a huge thread on xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660662). I've read most of it but cases like yours are very rare, if any.
I hope these dudes could help you. Hope you won't have to return it. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:03 AM   #100
robuphill

All fixed....i noticed the filter/fuse assembly on the fakra cable looked shoddy and badly made, cut it out and inserted an inline fuse and lo and behold it works a treat!!

Happy days