E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 AM   #21
drake79

My Ride: Volkswagen Caddy
Hi all Dynavin Fans!

Love new Dynavin and cant wait to buy one. But have few questions:

1. Is it possible to load TomTom as default navigation? I live in Poland and TomTom is unbeatable here.
2. Is it possible to change default language of unit (to polish for example)?
3. What sort of applications we can expect in Apps icon on main menu, Spotify will be much expected.

Regards
drake79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #22
SmokeyDP

My Ride: 2001 M3
This thing looks awesome. If there was a Spotify app for it I would be all over it.
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #23
SmileyMike

My Ride: 325ci convertible
Hi Jeff

I am intending to buy an N6 for my E46 convertible and have a query which I could do with your thoughts on before I do.

My car has the bog standard Business CD radio with conventional speakers (i.e. no Harmon Kardon, or the like). It also has the factory CD autochanger mounted in the boot (trunk). All working A1.

Quite some while back, I picked up a second-hand Dynavin D99 and fitted it. Fitting was straight forward plug and pray. Whilst the Dynavin worked as expected, it had the unfortunate side effect of totally draining the battery, to the degree that the car would not start if left standing for more than 48hrs. Despite some extensive trouble shooting I was unable to resolve this problem, so I eventually gave up & removed the Dynavin and replaced the stock radio.

Once the stock radio was back in place, the battery drain problem disappeared. I therefore concluded that the Dynavin was faulty and disposed of it.

The one thing I didn't think to try during troubleshooting was disconnecting the factory CD changer, and I am now wondering if this may have been the cause of the problem. I was aware that Dynavins are not compatible with the factory CD changer in the sense that they don't communicate with it, but should I have unplugged the changer itself to avoid it drawing power unexpectedly?

Last edited by SmileyMike; 07-10-2014 at 08:51 AM.
SmileyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #24
pish180

My Ride: 02' M3
Send a message via AIM to pish180
That video was extremely useful! Thanks!!! That's pretty much answers all my questions about responsiveness and the navi usability.

My only outstanding questions are:

1. Does it support HD Radio?

2. How is the Radio Reception in comparison to the D99?
It would be nice to hear from someone who had issues with the D99 to upgraded to an N6 and see their experience. Looking at the video this looks like a MUCH more refined piece of hardware and software than before. As in they took some time and effort and money to invest into their product.

Thanks,
Brian

<-----:::::::::===================== =======================:::::::::----->
pish180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #25
jon-k

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyMike View Post
Hi Jeff

I am intending to buy an N6 for my E46 convertible and have a query which I could do with your thoughts on before I do.

My car has the bog standard Business CD radio with conventional speakers (i.e. no Harmon Kardon, or the like). It also has the factory CD autochanger mounted in the boot (trunk). All working A1.

Quite some while back, I picked up a second-hand Dynavin D99 and fitted it. Fitting was straight forward plug and pray. Whilst the Dynavin worked as expected, it had the unfortunate side effect of totally draining the battery, to the degree that the car would not start if left standing for more than 48hrs. Despite some extensive trouble shooting I was unable to resolve this problem, so I eventually gave up & removed the Dynavin and replaced the stock radio.

Once the stock radio was back in place, the battery drain problem disappeared. I therefore concluded that the Dynavin was faulty and disposed of it.

The one thing I didn't think to try during troubleshooting was disconnecting the factory CD changer, and I am now wondering if this may have been the cause of the problem. I was aware that Dynavins are not compatible with the factory CD changer in the sense that they don't communicate with it, but should I have unplugged the changer itself to avoid it drawing power unexpectedly?
I am thinking it was likely a defective D99. Leaving the cd changer unplugged should not cause battery drain. I also had a cd changer in the trunk unplugged from the head unit (though i have completely removed it now) and it did not cause any problems.

Last edited by jon-k; 07-10-2014 at 03:25 PM.
jon-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #26
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake79 View Post
Hi all Dynavin Fans!

Love new Dynavin and cant wait to buy one. But have few questions:

2. Is it possible to change default language of unit (to polish for example)?
3. What sort of applications we can expect in Apps icon on main menu, Spotify will be much expected.

The stereo has many language options but Polish is not one of them....the nav program though can be had in most any language.

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyDP View Post
This thing looks awesome. If there was a Spotify app for it I would be all over it.
Spotify is an iOS/android app....I cant imagine that kind of thing being developed for a small niche product like this....Dont get carried away with the app stuff, I doubt its going to be what you are thinking.....if I had to guess I would say its probably more like traffic, weather stuff, more oem type things (see new audi connect for instance) not like android or iOS apps. My assumption is that its an open ended part of the GUI so that they can add functions down the road without having to revamp the entire system. The basic hardware is there but what they are going to do with it remains to be seen.

Keep in mind you can run spotify, pandora, stitcher, etc... on your phone and you will hear the audio through the car speakers and can control the track forward/backward from the unit or steering wheel controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyMike View Post
Hi Jeff

No, something else was wrong there with your old unit or installation, the CD changer should not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pish180 View Post
That video was extremely useful! Thanks!!! That's pretty much answers all my questions about responsiveness and the navi usability.

My only outstanding questions are:

1. Does it support HD Radio?

2. How is the Radio Reception in comparison to the D99?
It would be nice to hear from someone who had issues with the D99 to upgraded to an N6 and see their experience. Looking at the video this looks like a MUCH more refined piece of hardware and software than before. As in they took some time and effort and money to invest into their product.

Thanks,
Brian
No HD, radio reception is tricky in E46s....lots of ways it can go wrong but the new setup eliminates a lot of potential failure points. The units Ive seen and installed so far seem to have solid reception but time and installs in various markets will tell as more as time goes on.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-10-2014 at 05:44 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #27
bu

My Ride: e46330i
i don't see the date on the screen.why?
bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:09 AM   #28
SmileyMike

My Ride: 325ci convertible
Factory CD Autochanger possible cause of battery drain problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-k View Post
I am thinking it was likely a defective D99. Leaving the cd changer unplugged should not cause battery drain. I also had a cd changer in the trunk unplugged from the head unit (though i have completely removed it now) and it did not cause any problems.
Thanks Jon (& Jeff). I thought I was probably just unlucky in acquiring a faulty D99, but it was worth checking just in case I was missing a trick.

What made me ask was that I noticed the autochanger went through what sounded like an initial loadup cycle the instant I reconnected the battery after installing the Dynavin. It belatedly occurred to me that it might have been constantly spinning in the absence of the factory head unit telling it not to.

Time to order up an N6 I think!
SmileyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #29
J&T Distributing

Yeah, could be something odd with the changer as well but I doubt it....you can always unplug it just in case.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #30
Kakalika

My Ride: 325iT
Is it plug and play on an E39 with DSP?
Kakalika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #31
cdgatti

Jon, can you comment on the audio quality - especially in comparison to the stock radio and the kenwood unit you had in there? Are you using aftermarket amps?

PS - I'm from the e90 site!

Last edited by cdgatti; 07-14-2014 at 07:30 AM.
cdgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #32
Haug523

My Ride: Bmw E39 523
What extra do i need to get DAB for this unit?
Haug523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #33
Sschmerge

My Ride: 2004 330i
New to the forum and new to dynavin. Just installed my N6 last week and it's well worth the investment. Everything works as it should, setup and install were really easy and directions were straightforward.

The biggest difficulty (if you can call it that) was the install of the back up camera. The running of the wire is a little tricky into the trunk lid (you have to fish the wire through the cable housing to where the license plate sits). The fit is tight but fished it through with a just bit of effort and some patience.

I have a couple of very minor complaints about the unit itself.

1) as Jeff points out, there is only water and oil temp that shows on the obd2 readout on the unit

2) I wish there were a way to enable Siri for us iphone users with the steering wheel control (I previously had installed soundplicity and was able to control Siri from the control)

3) no satellite functionality (I knew this going in and you can control it from the Sirius xm app) it would just be nice to have the option

Customer service has been amazing by Jeff- he is incredibly responsive and very honest and straightforward with everything. I am incredibly happy with my purchase and would not hesitate on this unit over my previous setup (business radio, sirius xm, and soundplicity Bluetooth unit).

The dynavin n6 definitely is far better than the factory navigation units I have had in previous cars and has the fit of an oem unit. If you are on the fence, I'd say without question, you won't be disappointed if you go for it....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Sschmerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #34
Sschmerge

My Ride: 2004 330i
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1405349507.127317.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	565350
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1405349536.083700.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	565351

Here is a picture of the camera and view from the unit in reverse.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Sschmerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #35
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
Is this running on Windows? I know it has the windows layout but android OS can also be changed to look like that so that's why I am curious. I looked but couldn't find any info.

Last edited by Custom3; 07-14-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #36
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakalika View Post
Is it plug and play on an E39 with DSP?
Thats a subject for somewhere else....but yes, that is the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haug523 View Post
What extra do i need to get DAB for this unit?
You would need the DAB tuner, contact a dealer in your country as we dont have that system here in the US and I dont sell those tuners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sschmerge View Post
New to the forum and new to dynavin. Just installed my N6 last week and it's well worth the investment. Everything works as it should, setup and install were really easy and directions were straightforward.

Customer service has been amazing by Jeff- he is incredibly responsive and very honest and straightforward with everything. I am incredibly happy with my purchase and would not hesitate on this unit over my previous setup (business radio, sirius xm, and soundplicity Bluetooth unit).

The dynavin n6 definitely is far better than the factory navigation units I have had in previous cars and has the fit of an oem unit. If you are on the fence, I'd say without question, you won't be disappointed if you go for it....

Old 07-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #37
jon-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Jon, can you comment on the audio quality - especially in comparison to the stock radio and the kenwood unit you had in there? Are you using aftermarket amps?

PS - I'm from the e90 site!
The audio quality is excellent. There are plenty of adjustments to get the sound tweaked just right. It has been a while since I had the Kenwood in but I would say the audio is on par with the Kenwood (and it was a pretty good kenwood deck). Better than the stock radio. I am not running an aftermarket amp. The rest of my setup is stock (non HK).
Old 07-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #38
J&T Distributing

Jon, are you using the time alignment settings?

Old 07-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #39
jon-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions View Post
Jon, are you using the time alignment settings?
I have not yet experimented with that. How much of an effect does that have? The one concern I have is that if I tweak it to sound better for my listening position will it sound worse for passengers?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #40
J&T Distributing

Yes it will make a MASSIVE difference in your audio quality and if you are not used to listening to a aligned system it may sound weird to you at first but once its dialed it it should sound great.....but as I mentioned in the first post, if you dont know what you are doing it you can really screw things up too!.....but its not something to be afraid of....you wont break anything, wrong settings just sound bad. If you dont like the way it sounds just set it back to 0.

Yes it will be at the detriment to the passengers.

Lets do an experiment. Sit in the drivers seat, in your normal driving position, use a tape measure to get the rough dimensions from the tip of your nose to the center of each woofer. Email me those dimensions and ill make a guesstimate as to what your settings should be and explain what you should be listening for when you dial it in.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-14-2014 at 11:44 AM.