E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #61
cannockwolf

My Ride: 330Ci ESS TS2+
ive just bought one and cant see this wire or mention of it so i dont think it applies to the e46
Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #62
SmileyMike

My Ride: 325ci convertible
Re: Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannockwolf View Post
ive just bought one and cant see this wire or mention of it so i dont think it applies to the e46
Sounds promising. I am presuming that the permanent 12v feed is needed by the Dynavin for memory backup purposes. It may be that e90s shut down all power on the main radio harness when they go into sleep mode, whilst the e46s leave a 12v feed still live, so don't need the extra wire.

Nice to hear from someone in the UK. Have you installed your unit yet? If you have, how are you finding it?
SmileyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #63
cannockwolf

havent fitted it yet as my car is in the bodyshop for god knows how long having major surgery, i got one on the recommendation from a member on e46zone who has used enonons (sp?) and he posted a video and i was quite impressed with the speed of the screen and the cohesive displays

see here http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/5...-2#entry807999
Old 07-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #64
stalensnuitje

My Ride: '05 BMW 320D Tourin
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosordie View Post
hello, I'm from Germany (sorry for my bad english) I have in my E46 already a D99+. Well I ordered a N6 which I hopefully get this week.
Now I have two questions, which no one can answer me here in Germany...
Why are displayed in the E46 version only two temperatures in the ODB menu? With the D99+ also the range and the tank level were displayed. there will be an update?

can the progress bar in the ipod mode also ne moved to jump to a Position in a Track?
Since you're a European D99+-user like me (NL), can you please let me know what the FM Radio reception is like? My stock unit works flawlessly, but the D99+ is a disaster in that area When the N6 gives a real improvement, I'll definitely consider re-investing!

Und auf Deutsch: weil Sie auch ein D99+ haben, können Sie mir sagen wie die Radioempfang (FM) vom N6-Gerät ist? Meine Originalradio war perfekt, aber mein D99+ ist leider ganz schlecht Wenn die N6 bessere Qualität gibt werde ich sicherlich bedenken ob ich (wieder) ein neues Gerät kaufen werde.

Vielen Dank im Voraus für die Rückmeldung!
stalensnuitje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #65
Dosordie

My Ride: E46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalensnuitje View Post
Since you're a European D99+-user like me (NL), can you please let me know what the FM Radio reception is like? My stock unit works flawlessly, but the D99+ is a disaster in that area When the N6 gives a real improvement, I'll definitely consider re-investing!

Und auf Deutsch: weil Sie auch ein D99+ haben, können Sie mir sagen wie die Radioempfang (FM) vom N6-Gerät ist? Meine Originalradio war perfekt, aber mein D99+ ist leider ganz schlecht Wenn die N6 bessere Qualität gibt werde ich sicherlich bedenken ob ich (wieder) ein neues Gerät kaufen werde.

Vielen Dank im Voraus für die Rückmeldung!
My N6 arived yesterday.... Nice unit!
Radio reception is bettet then in the d99+ but not perfect. Im still testing...
On iPod Mode, there is no way to jump to a Position
OBC shows only two temperatures, but there can be an Update for more Information.
Dosordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #66
cannockwolf

Quote:
OBC shows only two temperatures, but there can be an Update for more Information.
it can only show what the cabus feeds it, thats all it can get from the e46 the e9x show more apparently
Old 07-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #67
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
My N6 arived yesterday.... Nice unit!
On iPod Mode, there is no way to jump to a Position
Not sure what you mean....but on ipod mode you can scroll the screen, OR use the scroll bar on the right, OR press the keyboard icon at the bottom of the screen to jump to a point in the alphabet....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #68
cannockwolf

does he mean jump to the middle of a track?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #69
J&T Distributing

Quote:
does he mean jump to the middle of a track?
Ah....maybe......Yes that is a current shortcoming of the ipod interface (and a common one among ipod interfaces). Ive talked to dynavin about it and hope that it may gain that functionality in a future software release. The SD/USB DOES currently allow for this functionality so there are options....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-25-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #70
Dosordie

My Ride: E46 330ci
Quote:
it can only show what the cabus feeds it, thats all it can get from the e46 the e9x show more apparently
Ok, but my "old" D99+ in the same car, showed fuel level, distance and so on...
The informations are on the iBus...

Sounds good, that there will be an Update for the iPod Interface (to jump into the middle of a track)
In CD Mode is the same Problem...
Dosordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #71
stalensnuitje

Quote:
Hm, doesn't sound completely satisfactory to me: the D99(+) shows all the info from the OBC (like kms to go before empty tank, fuel consumption etc.). Further, from CANBUS a lot more info can be gained (as I do quite often with Torque and a BT obd2-scanner).

But hey, for me that's just gadget stuff.

My D99 suffers from a randomly non-responsive touchscreen (lasting 5 min to 2hrs), so hopefully my dealer is willing to trade it for an N6 under warranty

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #72
cannockwolf

isnt torque app etc connected through the odbc port though? not just connected to the canbus? or am i getting confused
Old 07-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #73
stalensnuitje

CAN-bus is actually a part of OBD2, but I guess you're right in this area: the Dynavin reads from the on-board computer (screen info between gauges), not directly from the ECU (through OBD2). However, that leaves the first part of my reply valid. The D99 shows "all" OBC info, like this.

Last edited by stalensnuitje; 07-25-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #74
wheelspin

My Ride: 330ci
Hey guys, new to the forum and looking to buy one of these units as it seems the eonon's have too many issues
i have the screen in my 330ci, but without the navigation. Will i need any extension cable? or will it just plug and play?
thanks
wheelspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #75
J&T Distributing

You WILL need the extension cable as the radio wiring is in the trunk in your car.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-26-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #76
spyfish

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Send a message via Yahoo to spyfish Send a message via Skype™ to spyfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions View Post
It's an offset... But you are thinking backwards....the numbers you enter in the delay settings menu are delays on each speaker expressed in centimeters. You will have the most delay on the speaker closest to you. So in your case you would subtract each dimension from 163cm.

So you end up with this:

FL: 72cm
FR: 31cm
RL: 21
RR: 0

Those numbers are a starting point but you will want to get you final number by using your ears. The goal is to create a solid aural image of each musician at a certain point in space on a a perceived soundstage. In a recording there are sounds and musicians to the left, the right, and the center, it's the center that we are concerned with here. Most of the time the drums and primarily the vocalist are in the center. We want to select a music track that has some space in it so we don't want a heavily overdubbed recording with lots of backing vocals....too much noise.

Set the fader to the front so we are only hearing the front pair of speakers. Enter the delay numbers above and put on some music. It should sound pretty good. Then raise one side of the delay settings, say the front left. As you do this you will hear the sound change, it will become hollow, out of focus, kind of a "in a tin can" kind of sound, your front speakers are now out of phase. Then lower the setting, as you pass the correct setting you will hear the sound come back into "focus", the vocals will move to the center of the car and become more solid. Keep going and you will hear it go out of phase again. Now go back towards you original setting again and listen as the music becomes focused again. Somewhere near the number we calculated above you will find the "sweet spot" where the vocals and bass are centered in the car and solid.

Then fade the rear speakers back in a little bit at a time until the sound is full and pleasing but not at the expense of the solid centered imaging. And that's it. Now you can play around with the EQ and other audio adjustments.

Try the above and if you have never hear a time aligned system you might be suprised by what you hear....it's a different experience than you are used to....

Let me know if you have questions....I've been running time alignment in all of my personal cars for....a long time now...
Hi Jeff, this is a good write up on time delay AND setting levels between front/rear (aka fader). As a tip to others, I also do the level setting by staggering my power levels between front and rear. I give the front speakers plenty more power 5-10X more. Now back to why I am writing .... I am curious to learn about time alignment in regards to the E46 speaker configuration. When I was last using time alignment, I placed my tweeters in the kick panels and aimed toward the driver/passenger seats. This equalized the distances naturally, it was very close to the mid in the door and the tweeter was a little closer to being on-axis. The speakers were very close together generally speaking, so the time alignment worked well. My question is this, how well does the time alignment work with the tweeter being farther away from the mid?
spyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #77
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Wow, time alignment!, a real equalizer and 4V preouts!

About time.

Plus it finally looks clean on the interface side of things.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #78
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish View Post
Hi Jeff, this is a good write up on time delay AND setting levels between front/rear (aka fader). As a tip to others, I also do the level setting by staggering my power levels between front and rear. I give the front speakers plenty more power 5-10X more. Now back to why I am writing .... I am curious to learn about time alignment in regards to the E46 speaker configuration. When I was last using time alignment, I placed my tweeters in the kick panels and aimed toward the driver/passenger seats. This equalized the distances naturally, it was very close to the mid in the door and the tweeter was a little closer to being on-axis. The speakers were very close together generally speaking, so the time alignment worked well. My question is this, how well does the time alignment work with the tweeter being farther away from the mid?
On the E46 the distance between the mid and tweeters is minimal....now the mid and the woofer...that difference is larger so Im guessing that is what you are talking about.

In my experience with time alignment the vast majority of the "effect" is heard in the lower and middle frequencies....mostly bass and midbass....think about this, its difficult, if not impossible to hear an out of phase tweeter, but an out of phase woofer is obvious.....

So when you set up these measurements for the time alignment, use the larger door speakers as your measuring point, and then just do the fine tuning by using your ears. Dont worry about the tweeters....there are many other factors that have more effect on them in a car environment.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-28-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #79
spyfish

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Send a message via Yahoo to spyfish Send a message via Skype™ to spyfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions View Post
On the E46 the distance between the mid and tweeters is minimal....now the mid and the woofer...that difference is larger so Im guessing that is what you are talking about.

In my experience with time alignment the vast majority of the "effect" is heard in the lower and middle frequencies....mostly bass and midbass....think about this, its difficult, if not impossible to hear an out of phase tweeter, but an out of phase woofer is obvious.....

So when you set up these measurements for the time alignment, use the larger door speakers as your measuring point, and then just do the fine tuning by using your ears. Dont worry about the tweeters....there are many other factors that have more effect on them in a car environment.
Yes I did mean woofer and mid. I forget that the system is a 3-way in the front. I am used to talking about 2-way where there woofer is the mid. I always found the kick-panel installs sounded better and I am hopeful that time alignment could keep me from going to that extreme.
spyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #80
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish View Post
Yes I did mean woofer and mid. I forget that the system is a 3-way in the front. I am used to talking about 2-way where there woofer is the mid. I always found the kick-panel installs sounded better and I am hopeful that time alignment could keep me from going to that extreme.
Yes, Ive had a couple kick panel systems myself, back before time alignment that was the only way to get anywhere close to proper imaging. But oh man, what a pain in the A$$.....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-28-2014 at 10:38 AM.