E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2003, 10:02 AM   #1
BmW4Ever330ci

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Unbelievable GAS consumption (EXPENSIVE)

I cannot begin to comprehend how much gas these bimmers can eat up in such a short amount of time. I am a daily driver and tend to drive my car everywhere from work to the mall to my friend's house. I would estimate that my drive to work is less than 15 miles roundtrip and after that, I just sometimes drive out to have a bit of fun. However, I noticed that I have to "refill" the tank almost every 6-7 days. When I fill up a full tank, the tankometer reads 285 miles or so. However, I don't feel that I've driven 285 miles in a week.

Is anyone else in this type of situation? Where you have to refill your tank on average 4 times a month..... plus, I use Chevron Techron Premium (suggested by dealers and other bmw novice) which is all so EXPENSIVE. A full tank would cost over $30 easily.

Therefore, I'm not sure if it's due my car being fairly NEW which tends to consume much more gas rapidly or are all bmws like this or I just drive way too MUCH.
BmW4Ever330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:07 AM   #2
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
sounds like your doing alot of city driving and not much highway.. I know i get TONS better gas mileage when i'm doing highway driving...

Also to double check your gas mileage.. just reset your trip odometer right after you fill it up and see what it says next time you have to fill it up..

Gas mileage will also vary depending on how you drive.. if you drive more spiritedly and are heavy footed and take off from every light.. you'll definetly eat thru gas quicker..

~T|/\/\
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #3
Foxy UK

My Ride: E46 330Ci Sport
Wow.. 30USD for a tank full???
I know it sounds like I'm moaning but when I tell you it costs around 74USD to do the same over here (UK) .. I'd happily move over the pond just to drive the beast more...
Foxy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:14 AM   #4
gokcer

My Ride: 323Ci Sports Package
Really? I have 323ci I get 26-28MPH in city and 32-36MPH highway. I think it is a great gas milage especially highway. It is actually better then most 4cyclinder cars

Bright-Red 323ci 5sp. Sports + Premium + Homemade K&N intake box. --> DIY Instructions
Also for single fanatics try My 100% Free dating service - TownsBestSingles.com
New House Tool 4 in 1 Mortgage & Tax Savings Calculator for home buyers
gokcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:16 AM   #5
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxy UK
Wow.. 30USD for a tank full???
I know it sounds like I'm moaning but when I tell you it costs around 74USD to do the same over here (UK) .. I'd happily move over the pond just to drive the beast more...

When my friends start to B|tch about gas prices i just tell em basically what you just said..

But it still can get annoying when you get used to paying one price and a week later its almost a dollar more a gallon..

~T|/\/\
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:17 AM   #6
Sparc_it

My Ride: 2001 330ci Sport
Send a message via AIM to Sparc_it
I have a 330ci and I have no idea where you are getting your numbers from. Maybe there is a leak in your gas tank. I use BP (Amoco) Ultimate and I only spend about $25 a tank and can get about 350 miles before my next fill up. My tankometer thing reads about 380-400 when I fill up....that changes when I haul ass everywhere
Old 08-11-2003, 10:18 AM   #7
ILLCOMM
like ma bell, i got the...

My Ride: 911 GT2
Quote:
Originally posted by gokcer
Really? I have 323ci I get 26-28MPH in city and 32-36MPH highway. I think it is a great gas milage especially highway. It is actually better then most 4cyclinder cars

my 330i zhp gets ~20mph since i got it
Old 08-11-2003, 10:26 AM   #8
gokcer

My Ride: 323Ci Sports Package
From Florida to Phill I actually made 520 miles with full tank. It first read 548miles when i filled it up.

Bright-Red 323ci 5sp. Sports + Premium + Homemade K&N intake box. --> DIY Instructions
Also for single fanatics try My 100% Free dating service - TownsBestSingles.com
New House Tool 4 in 1 Mortgage & Tax Savings Calculator for home buyers
gokcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:27 AM   #9
BmW4Ever330ci

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Yup...... $30+ for a FULL TANK due to the cost of a gallon being $2.11 average these days. And plus, it's somewhat a disadvantage to live in such an expensive city when your wage is constant while the cost of living appreciates every year.

I guess I am also at fault because I drive my car so frequently and at local streets. The freeways are always a mess and traffic can stall for hours so I choose the local way to commute to work.

My only solution: garage the damn thing! but wait.... It's the "ultimate driving machine" and I love to drive it so much. I don't think I have the will to. Oh well, just fork up the $$$$.
BmW4Ever330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:39 AM   #10
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
try these things to save gas millage

stay away from the sport mode.
make sure you tires are the right lbs of air.
don't drive with your air condition on.
make sure your air filter is clean.
no jack rabbit starts.
don't keep the car idling when talking in car. before you get out of it.
all of these things can save some gas millage.
bobm3
Old 08-11-2003, 10:50 AM   #11
CptPinoy

My Ride: 2002 SG M3
welcome to my world.

i fill up just as much as you do and a little bit more. i fill up every 4 to 5 days. i also put chevron supreme every time and it is expensive. full tank is about 30 bucks. i commute to work and its about 50+ miles round trip. it sucks big time. although i do get about 20+ miles/gallon on my car and about 310+ miles for a full tank.

i just hope the gas prices go down a bit more but what i'm really concern about is the registration fee tripling or doubling in calli, i'm not sure what it really is though.

cptpinoy
CptPinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:51 AM   #12
Sparc_it

Quote:
Originally posted by BmW4Ever330ci
Yup...... $30+ for a FULL TANK due to the cost of a gallon being $2.11 average these days.
When I filled up yesterday I thought I had it bad...$1.74, I have been used to $1.49....at 1 point in the beginning of the summer it was $1.29 for premium!!!!
Sparc_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 11:13 AM   #13
SST

My Ride: 325i
When I fill up a full tank, the tankometer reads 285 miles or so. However, I don't feel that I've driven 285 miles in a week.

I get that feeling as well. I'll have to find a mileage marker road and test this odometer. It seems that it's reading more mileage than I've actually gone.
I typically average about 15k-18k miles per year which is about 1500 miles per month for 18k per year. I still work at the same place as I have for 10years now and my route is the same, speed for the trip is the same.
I drive for fun the same mileage and I do about as many trips as well and maybe even less. So, I'm having trouble believing that I've averaged 1700 miles per month for the past 2 months of ownership. It doesn't seem right as I know I'm not driving my 325 more than I drove my other cars.
This 325i manual, has the WORST gas mileage and the lowest HP/torque output of my last 3 cars. I'm getting about 20-22.5mpg depending on AC use, with mixed city and mostly highway drivign. My 2000 Mits Eclipse GT was and automatic 4 speed with 205Hp and 205ft. lbs of torque and I got about 22-23mpg (same driving conditions). My 1st generation (1990) Mits Eclipse Turbo 190Hp did about 23-25mpg and even when I modded with a larger turbo and bigger boost pressure I still managed 23-25mpg with roughly 220hp.
My 325i with a 5 speed manual generates 184Hp and gives about 20-21.5mpg. BMW's drive, ride, and handle amazingly. But, their HP/torque output is average to less than, and their MPG isn't that great.
I expected to find much much better mpg when I went shopping for a BMW.

I remember reading that the 3.0 engine not only generates more power than the 2.5 but the mpg was better and emissions are lower. Has this been the reality?

TT
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 11:16 AM   #14
04ragtop

My Ride: 04 330 Cic
You guys must be beating the piss out of your cars to get poor gas mileage like that. E46's get great gas mileage (better than most 6 cylinder cars) when you drive normally. I'm getting about 22 MPG with my 330 including lots of stop an go heavy traffic driving. 27MPG on the highway. If you want to ease up on the fuel consumption then you need to ease up on the gas pedal. Hard to do with a BMW but chose your moments to have fun and you'll get 300+ miles per tank.
04ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 11:17 AM   #15
carguy84
Banned

My Ride: 330i
It's because your car is so new, give it some time and it will get a little better. My MPG went up after the first couple thousand miles. On te highway I get about 30 MPG still even with the blower.

Chip-
carguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 11:20 AM   #16
silver323i

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via AIM to silver323i
I think it mostly has to do with where you are driving. I drive around 70 miles roundtrip five or six days a week and usually end up with between 350-400 miles before I have to fill up (that would make it about every week). Its' only $1.75 for 93 here.
silver323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #17
blkonblk

My Ride: 06/2000 330i ZSP/ZPP
I commute from Oakland to SF 5 days a wk and go for a longer drive of 100-150 miles on the wkend. I average about 300-350 miles with each full tank. City driving is about 20-21 mpg, combined city/fwy 23-24, and fwy at a good pace at about 28.

When you drive around in SF you will definitely get lower mileage due to the hills and stop/go traffic. Do exactly as BOBM3 suggests and you will optimize your mpg.

Another thing, fill up your tank when you're out of the City or try to buy your gas out of SF. I noticed that in SF may be $.10-$.25 more per gallon.

Life is a journey not a destination, so enjoy the ride!
blkonblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:40 PM   #18
Sparc_it

If you can, try and cruise around 75-80mph on the hwy......I found that if I watch my fuel consumption meter thing, i am somewhere around 30-50mpg.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:48 PM   #19
mickey513

My Ride: e46
Re: Unbelievable GAS consumption (EXPENSIVE)

Quote:
Originally posted by BmW4Ever330ci
: When I fill up a full tank, the tankometer reads 285 miles or so. However, I don't feel that I've driven 285 miles in a week.

My friend.....you are complaining???????????? Dude, I only get about 240 miles on a full tank!! And that is with a 13 .5 gallon fill up, about $28! According to the computer on board, I average 17.8 mpg. ****, I'll be happy to your mileage sheesh.....

Oh and my car is a 02 330i with 7k miles.
mickey513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:15 PM   #20
Sparc_it

Re: Re: Unbelievable GAS consumption (EXPENSIVE)

Quote:
Originally posted by mickey513

Dude, I only get about 240 miles on a full tank!!
Good god, how do you drive your car?!?!