E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #61
kuksul08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,108
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^ This, if you are cramping after a 5 minute walk you are either doing something wrong or you weigh 400lbs.

If you are cramping you need to eat more calcium and potassium for starters. Also, you need to drink a lot more water. How much do you drink a day?

You also REALLY need to get the right shoes otherwise you will fvck up something important and regret not doing it right. Pumas are not running shoes, you will screw up your knees and ankles if you keep it up.

As was said, core is huge. Work on your core and use it to support your upper body while running. Stay upright, keep your core tight, and look ahead. Watch youtube videos on proper form and compare them to what you're doing.
Alright I will get some running shoes ASAP. I just wanted to see how my existing shoes worked. They're fine walking shoes but don't really have the support for running.

I have no idea why I was cramping. I just suck so badly at it. I also probably ate too close to trying to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
This


OP, why are you running? To get in shape? Terrible idea. Sorry but it is. Distance running is a recipe for making a skinny fat person. You will not build muscle.

Eat right, sleep good, lift weights and do sprint work. Thank me in 8-12 months.
Not really to get in shape, although I would like to get in better shape. The main reason is simply to be able to run. You know, run away from a dangerous situation. Run with my dog. Just another skill like riding a bike or skateboarding or something. Somehow I lack this skill and I think it's kind of fundamental.
__________________

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #62
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: not Illinois
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
if you don't have inferior genetics running will not damage your body. that is a myth perpetuated by people with crappy bodies.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #63
bagher
Registered User
 
bagher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 17,860
My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
if you don't have inferior genetics running will not damage your body. that is a myth perpetuated by people with crappy bodies.
I think the current research suggests anything up to a half marathon is good for your health, Marathons and ultras are extremely damaging to the body and should be avoided.
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #64
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: not Illinois
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
if you don't have inferior genetics running will not damage your body. that is a myth perpetuated by people with crappy bodies.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #65
RossGuy
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 223
My Ride: FBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
if you don't have inferior genetics running will not damage your body. that is a myth perpetuated by people with crappy bodies.
Agreed. I remember some fat bitch told me she doesn't run because it's bad on the knees. Like oh, is that why? Go eat some milk duds and punch yourself in the face.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Shut up and drink your snow from your plastic cup you hungry homeless homosexual.
RossGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #66
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: not Illinois
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGuy View Post
Agreed. I remember some fat bitch told me she doesn't run because it's bad on the knees. Like oh, is that why? Go eat some milk duds and punch yourself in the face.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #67
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Alright I will get some running shoes ASAP. I just wanted to see how my existing shoes worked. They're fine walking shoes but don't really have the support for running.

I have no idea why I was cramping. I just suck so badly at it. I also probably ate too close to trying to run.



Not really to get in shape, although I would like to get in better shape. The main reason is simply to be able to run. You know, run away from a dangerous situation. Run with my dog. Just another skill like riding a bike or skateboarding or something. Somehow I lack this skill and I think it's kind of fundamental.
Dude lift weights and sprint. You'll be just fine for all those situations and you'll build way more functional strength. I may be wrong here but it seems like you want to run because it's easy. And by easy, I mean not lay on the floor gasping for air like some workouts I give people.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #68
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,491
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Alright I will get some running shoes ASAP. I just wanted to see how my existing shoes worked. They're fine walking shoes but don't really have the support for running.

I have no idea why I was cramping. I just suck so badly at it. I also probably ate too close to trying to run.
Cramping is caused by dehydration and lack of appropriate minerals to produce controlled muscle contractions. K+ and Ca+ ion transport is what causes your muscles to contract whether it's voluntary or involuntary movement. Not enough of either and you can get cramping. Also drink more water. When you think you get enough in a day, drink a little more. I drink at least 90-100oz a day, 12 in the morning when I wake up (key, your body is completely dehydrated when you wake up), 32 during the day at work, 12 when I get home before my workout, 16 during my workout, 12 with dinner, and usually 12 before bed.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #69
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Cramping is caused by dehydration and lack of appropriate minerals to produce controlled muscle contractions. K+ and Ca+ ion transport is what causes your muscles to contract whether it's voluntary or involuntary movement. Not enough of either and you can get cramping. Also drink more water. When you think you get enough in a day, drink a little more. I drink at least 90-100oz a day, 12 in the morning when I wake up (key, your body is completely dehydrated when you wake up), 32 during the day at work, 12 when I get home before my workout, 16 during my workout, 12 with dinner, and usually 12 before bed.
You seem to know a decent amount about cramping so I'll ask you. Is it possible some people just cramp more than others. I eat wayyy better than more and workout way more. I go on a 8mile hike with some friends and my quads lock up like a jerk towards the end. Couch potatoes were fine. I eat a lot of bananas, and drink a ton of water so I think it's just something I deal with. Like Lebron.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #70
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: not Illinois
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
You seem to know a decent amount about cramping so I'll ask you. Is it possible some people just cramp more than others. I eat wayyy better than more and workout way more. I go on a 8mile hike with some friends and my quads lock up like a jerk towards the end. Couch potatoes were fine. I eat a lot of bananas, and drink a ton of water so I think it's just something I deal with. Like Lebron.
yes, you and lebron have giant vaginas.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #71
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: not Illinois
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
but serious answer is yes, differs for each person.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #72
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,036
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Everything differs from person to person. Some people have **** knees and joints. Some people never get injured. Others sprain their ankles super easily.


Sent from AutomaticDoublePostBimmerApp Potato
__________________
BMW VIN Decoder

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #73
coco savage
Registered User
 
coco savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CFBMW.org
Posts: 1,361
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGuy View Post
+1

Op, some of us have gone through what you're dealing with. Take the advice and work into it slowly. I'll admit the running classes can be cheesy but it's worth it and they've seen everything.

You might also want to try some vibrams, maybe not for running all the time but lite jogs on a treadmill. It'll help strengthen your feet and help your form as you'll avoid heel striking. Just a thought but they help me after and between runs.

Just be glad you haven't had fallen arches, stress fractures, and fvcked up knees.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
They just got sued over that "strengthen foot claim"
__________________
**LINK:BUY MY E46 Parts**

Random Images


Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #74
coco savage
Registered User
 
coco savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CFBMW.org
Posts: 1,361
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
That's so simplistic as to be wrong.

If you're trying to help OP, you need to actually explain it all.

Static vs dynamic stretching. Cold vs warm vs post stretching.

No Olympic runner goes into their event without having stretched, and their performance is not impeded. So just saying that stretching before impedes performance is .
thank you





Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
+2

OP should stretch after the 5 minute warm up and then after finishing the run. Cold stretching is a bad idea but not stretching at all is also a bad idea.
You say +2 but then say no stretching is bad?
__________________
**LINK:BUY MY E46 Parts**

Random Images


Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #75
bagher
Registered User
 
bagher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 17,860
My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
They just got sued over that "strengthen foot claim"

They settled rather than waste time in the court with retards who can't follow directions. All my minimalist shoes have warnings on them.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
** Removed **
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #76
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,491
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
You seem to know a decent amount about cramping so I'll ask you. Is it possible some people just cramp more than others. I eat wayyy better than more and workout way more. I go on a 8mile hike with some friends and my quads lock up like a jerk towards the end. Couch potatoes were fine. I eat a lot of bananas, and drink a ton of water so I think it's just something I deal with. Like Lebron.
Disclosure, I'm not a doctor so don't take this as medical advice. I'm a mechanical engineer by both education and job, I just have a very good understanding about the science behind muscle (mainly cardiac tissue but it's all very similar) tissue since I work with it from a living. Because of this I can only offer a reasonable guess.

My guess is that you're running out of energy by the end of it. This seems obvious so I'll go in a bit further. When your brain tells a muscle to contract it sends a neurotransmitter to the cell that causes a change in the cell membrane. That change allows the transport of calcium into the cell causing a contraction. This transport is because there's more calcium outside of the cell than inside so it works to balance the levels. Once balance is achieved, the membrane closes and contraction is complete. The potassium is used to transport sodium out of the cell (again level imbalance is used) and maintain a resting potential. There is obviously much much more to it than this but that's the jist of it.

So with the running out of energy thing, reading all the time on here about how you can squat a small house my guess is that your body needs more than the average person in terms of calcium and potassium intake. Larger muscles need more of both minerals in order to function and therefore deplete your body's reserves faster. Also, I'm sure your workouts are great but don't really equate to training for an 8 mile low intensity walk and you're therefore not trained for it. Also, everyone has different behaviors in how their bodies function and use energy. So yes, everyone has a different level of affinity to cramping. You might have a higher one.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 07-16-2014 at 03:06 PM.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #77
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,491
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
You say +2 but then say no stretching is bad?
One should do a short low intensity warm up followed by stretching before doing the real exercise. The exercise should then be followed up with cool down stretching.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #78
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,036
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
They just got sued over that "strengthen foot claim"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
They settled rather than waste time in the court with retards who can't follow directions. All my minimalist shoes have warnings on them.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
They got sued not because their claims were proved false but because they made these claims based on zero evidence.
__________________
BMW VIN Decoder

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #79
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 958
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
You seem to know a decent amount about cramping so I'll ask you. Is it possible some people just cramp more than others. I eat wayyy better than more and workout way more. I go on a 8mile hike with some friends and my quads lock up like a jerk towards the end. Couch potatoes were fine. I eat a lot of bananas, and drink a ton of water so I think it's just something I deal with. Like Lebron.
I'm gonna drop my $0.02 in, as well.

Based on what I've read about your workouts, I think you've done a great job building your fast twitch fibers (both A and B), but you don't describe a lot of stuff that builds slow twitch fibers. When you go on an 8 mile hike (and btw, 8 miles is no joke, that was probably nearly 4 hours?) that's slow twitch exertion, unless the entire thing is like walking up stairs. After several hours of that, it's certainly plausible that the slow twitch fibers in your muscles are overtaxed because they're not used to exertions of that duration. In a sustained lower-intensity exertion like a long hike, the mostly-fast-twitch-muscle mass you've built up doesn't help much.

There's a reason marathoners look the way they do, and sprinters look totally different. I'd bet if we saw you with your shirt off you look a lot more like a sprinter than a marathoner. And I'd also bet that even though you felt crampy at the end, if you took 5 minutes to rest and then had to run 100 yds, you'd smoke the couch potatoes because you'd be able to recruit your fast twitch fibers in that effort.

It's also possible that you don't have the base cardio engine to continually exert yourself for several hours, even at low intensity. But I find that less likely.

Having said all that, I have seen/read about enough elite athletes cramping in various sports, despite terrific sport-specific conditioning and super nutrition and hydration, that it makes sense to me that some people are just a little more predisposed to it than others.
__________________
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
As a juror, do you think the trial was a publicity stunt?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:24 PM   #80
bagher
Registered User
 
bagher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 17,860
My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Disclosure, I'm not a doctor so don't take this as medical advice. I'm a mechanical engineer by both education and job, I just have a very good understanding about the science behind muscle (mainly cardiac tissue but it's all very similar) tissue since I work with it from a living. Because of this I can only offer a reasonable guess.

My guess is that you're running out of energy by the end of it. This seems obvious so I'll go in a bit further. When your brain tells a muscle to contract it sends a neurotransmitter to the cell that causes a change in the cell membrane. That change allows the transport of calcium into the cell causing a contraction. This transport is because there's more calcium outside of the cell than inside so it works to balance the levels. Once balance is achieved, the membrane closes and contraction is complete. The potassium is used to transport sodium out of the cell (again level imbalance is used) and maintain a resting potential. There is obviously much much more to it than this but that's the jist of it.

So with the running out of energy thing, reading all the time on here about how you can squat a small house my guess is that your body needs more than the average person in terms of calcium and potassium intake. Larger muscles need more of both minerals in order to function and therefore deplete your body's reserves faster. Also, I'm sure your workouts are great but don't really equate to training for an 8 mile low intensity walk and you're therefore not trained for it. Also, everyone has different behaviors in how their bodies function and use energy. So yes, everyone has a different level of affinity to cramping. You might have a higher one.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_McGuff

Dr. McGuff claims the body actually needs 7-10 days for the muscle Tissue to fully recover from the trauma of working out and those that do it more often may be doing it to their detriment. He has really interesting theories and videos on YouTube.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
** Removed **
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use