E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #81
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
How do you know they didn't have a perfectly good reason to detain and/or arrest him?

Do you know what the cops saw? Do you know what they heard from other people? Did they have a complainant?

Someone has alleged that he broke up a fight. Did he really? If he did, did he use excessive force in doing so? Maybe a dude down the block has been severely beaten and told the cops that this 400 lb dude is the one that beat him.

The fact is, you don't know dick about what happened, except what's seen on the edited video.

And WTF are you talking about "didn't appear he was resisting arrest"? Look at the video, starting at 1:19, the cops try to cuff him, he pulls his hands away, turns away, backs away, says "don't touch me". That's resisting arrest. Plain and simple.

You don't know if he was being placed under arrest, or just being detained for further investigation.

They don't have to read you your rights before detaining you, or before cuffing you.

Know your rights.
were you number 99 in the video? getting all riled up in hur!!!
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #82
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Post is reporting he head a heart attack, and over 30 arrests

http://nypost.com/2014/07/18/man-die...during-arrest/

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #83
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Times too

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/19/ny...rest.html?_r=0
Quote:
Mr. Garner, who had been arrested on about 30 prior occasions, according to a law enforcement official who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Facts developing

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #84
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post

lol what a fatass
Old 07-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #85
cntrvrsy

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
It's a taught tactic. You can easily find dozens of videos of unconscious suspects being yelled at to stop resisting. There is a reason they yell it.

Was the choke hold legal? Per policy use of force? Reasonable?

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancis...t?oid=2760005#

Until there is accountability and police are sued from their pensions and personal accounts instead of taxpayers... this will continue

Criminal or not, I wonder how this bit is going to play out.

Quote:
In 1993, then-Commisioner Ray Kelly banned the use of chokeholds by officers, the New York Times reported.

More from a 2004 NYPD Patrol Guide:

"Members of the New York City Police Department will NOT use chokeholds. A chokehold shall include, but is not limited to, any pressure to the throat or windpipe, which may prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...6pLid%3D503701

more on the choke hold ban here.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #86
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
from a 2004 NYPD Patrol Guide:

Plain clothes cop is going to be charged for sure.
Family will settle out of court for millions (paid for by taxpayers) after signing a no fault statement on police.

Officer that killed him will get smacked on wrist and some stern training after his paid vacation.
Job secure, pension secure, qualified immunity and nothing will change. Officer Safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 07-18-2014 at 05:11 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #87
217Bimmer

Quote:
Family will settle out of court for millions (paid for by taxpayers) after signing a no fault statement on police.

Officer that killed him will get smacked on wrist and some stern training after his paid vacation.
Job secure, pension secure, qualified immunity and nothing will change. Officer Safety.
yes, i'm sure you'll have thousands of people lining up to be police officers if you can be held personally liable.

if you screw up at work can someone sue to recoup that money personally from you? no
Old 07-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #88
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post

if you screw up at work can someone sue to recoup that money personally from you? no
Depending on the screw-up, they can. If you're out driving a delivery van and work for IBM, and you run someone over, they can sue you personally along with your employer. In fact, I'm pretty sure they have to name you as a defendant in order to get to your employer.

As a practical matter, the employee isn't going to wind up with any real liability, but he can still be sued personally.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #89
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
yes, i'm sure you'll have thousands of people lining up to be police officers if you can be held personally liable.
Sounds good. The hundreds that apply will be far more honorable

Quote:
If I break company policy and or the law with my actions?
Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #90
217Bimmer

Quote:
Sounds good. The hundreds that apply will be far more honorable

If I break company policy and or the law with my actions?
Absolutely
and that differs from the police how? can they not be fired and sued? will that not stop people from suing the police dept and city?

would your firing not stop someone from suing you or your company?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #91
ONEinc_StephenK

My Ride: Nothing but BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Breaking ATF laws for starters.

Drug possession, tax evasion, etc.

He has a record. He is a criminal.

He gets paid by your taxes to not work, but he can hang out on the street and sell illegal stuff.

That does not bother you?

Lost all internet respect for you dude. What you witnessed on video is straight murder.
ONEinc_StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #92
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Apparently that's all it took. The duration is rather irrelevant at this point.
Did the coroner say he died due to being choked?

Maybe the tomato paste he has for blood threw a meatball clot somewhere due to all the excitement.

We don't know yet. But generally, 10 sec head locks don't kill.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #93
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post

Squeaky clean innocent victim just minding his own business...

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #94
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Anyway now that I've watched the video cause I got home, those officers are ridiculous. Obviously they didn't intentionally kill him and we don't know what happened beforehand. Let's assume he should've been arrested for whatever happened before the video. What were they supposed to do?

If he didn't deserve arrest then this is man slaughter.

Sent from AutomaticDoublePostBimmerApp Potato

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #95
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEinc_StephenK View Post
Lost all internet respect for you dude. What you witnessed on video is straight murder.
Yea, I missed the part where they shot him 12 times and cut off his head.

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
Old 07-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #96
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Quote:
What we witnessed is a guy so ****ing fat that he had a heart attack during a minor physical challenge.

Last edited by Zell; 07-18-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #97
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrvrsy View Post
Criminal or not, I wonder how this bit is going to play out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...6pLid%3D503701

more on the choke hold ban here.
If you can talk, you can breathe. This guy could talk, therefore he could breathe. If they didn't "prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air" then by the language of the manual, they didn't choke him.

If the ME doesn't link the cardiac arrest to the arm around the neck area, this whole "chokehold" discussion is irrelevant.

Quote:
Really? They intended to kill him? And yet they didn't tase him, mace him, billy club him or shoot him?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #98
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Yea, I missed the part where they shot him 12 times and cut off his head.
Give it up, you won't win. Not on this board.

There was a distinct reason that they wanted to arrest him. The percentage of people on this board that hates cops is in line with that of NYC residents in high crime areas.

A person will start rolling a camera and say "the cop just did this....". Next thing you know, the cop is in the wrong. All day, every day.

Too many coward armchair quarterbacks on here. If the situation is so bad, anyone can do something. People can become cops and try to make a small change, try to do the right thing. They won't. No balls and lots of excuses.

The best part about these videos is that a lot of times the cops were rolling well before the idiots with the camera phones were. You will only see that footage in court though.

The guy didn't deserve to die, but he was resisting arrest. Plain and simple. Black and white. There is no gray area.

I don't believe for a second that anyone that speaks out against the police has any idea how hard it really is. Most people wouldn't have the balls to walk through half of these neighborhoods, let alone do it while wearing a cop uniform.

Last edited by accolade; 07-19-2014 at 01:10 PM.
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #99
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
Give it up, you won't win. Not on this board.

There was a distinct reason that they wanted to arrest him. The percentage of people on this board that hates cops is in line with that of NYC residents in high crime areas.

A person will start rolling a camera and say "the cop just did this....". Next thing you know, the cop is in the wrong. All day, every day.

Too many coward armchair quarterbacks on here. If the situation is so bad, anyone can do something. People can become cops and try to make a small change, try to do the right thing. They won't. No balls and lots of excuses.

The best part about these videos is that a lot of times the cops were rolling well before the idiots with the camera phones were. You will only see that footage in court though.

The guy didn't deserve to die, but he was resisting arrest. Plain and simple. Black and white. There is no gray area.

I don't believe for a second that anyone that speaks out against the police has any idea how hard it really is. Most people wouldn't have the balls to walk through half of these neighborhoods, let alone do it while wearing a cop uniform.
Sh*t just got real.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #100
beeemerdude
Banned User

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
I'm an armchair quarterback, but I am no "coward". I call a spade a spade. Check out this jerkkoff (undercover) RCMP cowboy-boot leg-swinging a citizen in the face (on the ground, prone) & lost his cop-job over it due to the local outrage. Guy's face looked liked a pumpkin after, & media rolled with it. Dude got a HUGE (undisclosed) payout from RCMP insurance coffers. RCMP cop charged/convicted successfully for assault/battery. If another local citizen didn't have his cellphone video rolling, the jerk would have got away with it.

edit: ex-RCMP officer perhaps now currently working at McDonald's drive-thru asking people "Would you like that Super-Sized??" LoL.

Last edited by beeemerdude; 07-19-2014 at 02:59 PM.
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote