E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
rcflyer2

My Ride: 330xu
valve in exhaust tip

I'm fairly new with my 330Ci convertible and was kinda disappointed on how extremely quiet it is. After reading a few posts about exhaust sound I inspected my exhaust valve or flap or whatever its called inside the right muffler tip and found it to be tottaly stuck closed So I took a metal rod I had laying around and poked it a few times and was able to pry it open its fairly stiff so I decided to leave it in the stuck open position to see if there was a difference, figuring if I didn't like it like that I could spray pee oil on it and free it up to at least to make it work right. It is noticeably louder but not by any means loud. I think I'm just gonna leave it in the stuck open position. throttle response seems to have improved a bit also. Will it harm anything to leave it like that?? thanks Lou II from Niagara Falls
rcflyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:22 AM   #2
bigguy

My Ride: 2001 330ci vert
won't hurt a thing, everyone is doing it.
bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
rcflyer2

thanks Bigguy
Old 07-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
rcflyer2

well so far my car is sounding better and after filling up I find I am getting at least 3 mpg better fuel economy !!!! sweet finally getting over 22mpg up over 25mpg now.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
DavidNathan

My Ride: 2002 330ci 5MT
If you want it louder on a budget, a simple muffler delete will do the trick. It cost me $100, and it sounds great, although it does drone once in a while

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2002 330ci 5mt - 94k miles

"If you aren't driving a stick shift BMW, you're just steering"

If anyone in SoCal wants to join my friends and I on weekend drives, PM me!
DavidNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
rcflyer2

how do you do a muffler delete???
Old 07-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
djsilver

My Ride: '01 330Ci Vert
The valve you speak of has a vacuum hose run to it and is supposed to open when you stomp the go pedal and intake vacuum drops. Being in the exhaust system, they tend to get stuck. Ours has been stuck open since we bought it and just leave it there. If the vacuum hose is cracked or broken it causes a vacuum leak and can affect idle. It can be corrected by plugging the hose.
djsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
E46DrEaMeR

My Ride: 2002 320Cic
sorry don't mean to hijack the tread but can anyone tell me where the other end of the vacuum pipe connects to ?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
rcflyer2

Yeah DJ mine was stuck I had to hit it and pry it open so I will just leave it stuck open for now. It has improved my milage and sounds a bit better toooo. I'm happy with it for now and it was a zero cost improvement. Lou