E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
tuscan1205

My Ride: 325CI
Which projector to upgrade to?

In short I am bored with my car, and I'm looking for a new project to work on. I did a quad projector setup in the past with OEM projectors and Morimoto H1s. It was awesome! My biggest complaints though were that the cutoffs never matched up perfectly and the alignment was slightly off. Also I noticed that my OEM xenon projectors were starting to get burnt. I may run quads again at some point but right now I'm just wondering what is a good projector to upgrade my OEM xenon headlights to? I want better output, but I don't want the retrofit to throw any codes or cause electrical problems.
Thanks.

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
tuscan1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
tuscan1205

Some old photos of my previous setup.

Sig for current.

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
Old 07-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yea I added the morimoto's in my highbeam bowls to make them quad but you can't level them higher to match with the oem light (at least in my experience)

For the projectors I would go with the FXR's, unless on the TRS forum they have projectors that can be retro'd the same way and brighter
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
tuscan1205

Not being able to level them is extremely annoying right. This next time around I want to setup to be nearly perfect.

I am really just concerned with the FXRs throwing codes when I wire them up. I have no problem cutting the inner headlight bowls because I kept the black set from the previous retrofit. I was just asking the question because I figure someone might have done it by now (and would've been willing to chime in). I guess I'll call TRS on Monday.

Thanks for the reply!

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
Old 07-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

No reason for any codes since your car is coded for xenon. If you have the bi-xenon option then just wire those trigger wires to the oem wiring and that's about it
Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
tuscan1205

Awesome! Thanks.

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
dinanm3atl

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to dinanm3atl
I've used Morimoto Mini H1 and FX-R. Really happy with both.
dinanm3atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
We actually really like the EVO-X projector - that we sell - for the lows and the basic H1 Mini (also that we sell) for the high beam. if you take apart the mini, you can actually affect the pattern quite a bit.

We do match or beat any advertised price on projectors.
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #9
tuscan1205

So I am finally getting this project started. I just picked up two sets of 2.5" FXR 3.0s.

I am just waiting for the shrouds to get here. I was fine with just splicing into the old high beam wires from my old oem projectors, but I read in a thread that the stock projector actually uses three wires. here is the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitzl3 View Post
Aight guys im back, I went ahead and wired up the bi-xenon shutters today. Luckily im going from oem bi-xenon retro to this so i already had a lot of the wiring done. a quick note, when i got this car it had stock crappy halogens, so all the wiring for this was added. Ok so basically i followed Scott (ScottZHP from bimmerfest) and Sna77's post on how to retro bi-xenon wiring for OEM AL/Bosch projectors using a relay, some wiring, and some oem plugs that plug right into the oem ballast. The link to that thread that i followed is here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...xenon+retrofit . Ok, the only problem with that is, oem bi-xenon shutters use a different system than the FX-R. If you look at an oem bi-xenon ballast there are three wires for the shutter (pull, hold, ground i think). Each of those have a different strength and pretty much isn't enough for the FX-R. So i contacted a buddy of mine over at the forums at hidplanet and he said that the FX-R could be tapped straight into the high beam...ok great im all set. However i want to keep the functionality of the relay setup (basically it works: when my headlights are OFF and i pull the stalk, my HALOGEN bowls flash to pass. When my headlights are ON and i pull or push the stalk the bi-xenon shutter drops). So heres how the relay was wired before the FX-R retro

Pin 85 - tap into low beam +12V (don't cut if off, just tap into it)
Pin 86 - ground
Pin 30 - from LCM high beam to high beam headlight (splice, cut if off)
Pin 87 - to bi-xenon plug on ballast
Pin 87A - to halogen high beam plug

Ok the pin in red is the one im going to change, instead of having that wire go to the bi-xenon plug on the ballast, it goes directly to one of the wires of the FX-R. So my new wiring is

Pin 85 - tap into low beam +12V (don't cut if off, just tap into it)
Pin 86 - ground
Pin 30 - from LCM high beam to high beam headlight (splice, cut if off)
Pin 87 - to FX-R Shutter
Pin 87A - to halogen high beam plug

For the other wire off of the FX-R, the ground wire, i tapped it into the ground of the stock high beam wiring to complete the circuit. Anyways it works flawlessly, just like the oem bi-xenon did.
Any thoughts? I thought there would have to be a more simple way. I know his car is a year older than mine and I guess he actually retrofitted the stock bixenons before upgrading to FXRs.

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM   #10
tuscan1205

Any thoughts?

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM   #11
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Not sure but can't wait it done Someone has a youtube vid with quad FXR's. I ran out of tissues.
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM   #12
tuscan1205

I'll have to find this video.
So far my parts list includes all the stuff in the picture above.

Items not pictured:
- Mountain of sand paper
- pliable pin striping tape so I can paint half of the shrouds black
- primer
- gloss black paint
- old harness for parts from first retrofit
- M stripes for chrome slats in the headlight
- jb weld
- lamin-x clear film for headlights and foglights.

Things still needed:
- The e46 shrouds
- xenon decals from TRS
- new lens for my headlights
- new ballasts for inner lights
- D2S bulbs
- dual action clear coat

I think that's about it. Maybe more to come as this project gets underway.

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci

Last edited by tuscan1205; Yesterday at 07:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #13
tuscan1205

Aside from this project I also retrofitted some Moromoto H1s into my fog light housings. It was kind of a PITA but I got it to work. I also was able to retain the bi-xenon function. On to the pictures.

The fog light retrofit was totally worth it. Soon I'll have the capability to do 6 high beams

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #14
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Jeez so much resin! But bad. ass.

I will try to find that vid for you
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #15
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Old Today, 04:34 PM   #16
tuscan1205

Super bright! Mine should look something like that when it's done.

Just went over to hidplanet and figured out how to wire up the fxrs. I think I'm all set to go. I'll wire the inner projectors up with the switch that controls the fog lights. Will control my 4 high function. I was thinking about it.. I won't be able to do six high all together because my car is programmed to have DRLs. The only way to accomplish 6 high is by having the dealership turn of that function. It would be cool, but I'm not down to spend ~$100.00 just for them to keep my car for a couple hours and click a few buttons.

I'm satisfied with this plan though. It should still be awesome!

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci

Last edited by tuscan1205; Today at 04:36 PM.
Old Today, 06:40 PM   #17
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

In for awesomness