E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
How to turn around a lost day

There I was, yesterday, it was 4pm. It had appeared another boring day had come to pass, but then I remembered! I have a motorcycle. Those are made for adventures, no day should be wasted with such means at my disposal. So I got on my bike, bumbled up to the end of my driveway, and contemplated for a minute. Do I go right, to the city, the people, the known? Or left, northwest to the lost coast? I chose left, a decision I'd later be so grateful for.

And now to reap the rewards of my spontaneous trek.

Clipped Ears by k2pilot, on Flickr

Stewarts Point by k2pilot, on Flickr

it was a pleasant reminder that being bored is a completely inexcusable mental state for any occupant of this planet.

Figured I'd post something since everyone's bitching about how slow things are here.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
M3_DU

My Ride: '02 M3
Nice write-up. What bike is that?
M3_DU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
E25ci

My Ride: F32 435i
Boredom is a great thing (depending on the person); I find that it inspires creativity and action. Great shots, clearly boredom inspired you. I was driving up the 1 around the same time and greatly enjoyed the scenery that you were able to capture in these photos. Keep up the great work.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
IFX
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: AW //M
nice shots. Take the M and tear up those roads now.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
GDubois

My Ride: BMW
What camera/lens did you use? Beautiful shots.

Congratulations.
GDubois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Nice pics as always bro!

A few years ago i road tripped from San Diego to Eureka. Obviously Eureka was chosen so we could hit the lost coast. One of the most memorable parts of the trip. I see a lot of ocean living in FL, but not like that.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Awesome pics, how did you get that effect in Photoshop?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
How do you take your camera gear around? Backpack?

Epic shots.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #9
k2pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_DU View Post
Nice write-up. What bike is that?
BMW R NineT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E25ci View Post
Boredom is a great thing (depending on the person); I find that it inspires creativity and action. Great shots, clearly boredom inspired you. I was driving up the 1 around the same time and greatly enjoyed the scenery that you were able to capture in these photos. Keep up the great work.
How far north/south did you go? I ventured about 90 miles north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
nice shots. Take the M and tear up those roads now.
You know ever since I got the bike my interest in romping around in cars has diminished considerably. I think my beloved Moop will be living out her days as a perfectly polished hangar queen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
What camera/lens did you use? Beautiful shots.
Leica M240 +Summilux 35 ASPH FLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Nice pics as always bro!

A few years ago i road tripped from San Diego to Eureka. Obviously Eureka was chosen so we could hit the lost coast. One of the most memorable parts of the trip. I see a lot of ocean living in FL, but not like that.
Yeah, it's a damn cool place. The kings range is said to have the steepest average inclination from the coast anywhere in North America, outside of some place in Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
Awesome pics, how did you get that effect in Photoshop?
What effect? The only effect I really use is "Lifting the blacks", which makes for a more muted/matte image. If you're talking about the bright spot and flare, that's just me taking a photo into the sun.

As for the colors, they all start out as raw image files, so it's a natural part of the processing to pick your color balance, not any different from what the camera does internally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
How do you take your camera gear around? Backpack?

Epic shots.
I just roll with my one camera with the lens mounted on it. It's in a messenger style bag camera bag I've had for a while. I unfortunately can't bring my bigger/nicer leather bag since the straps too long and it falls to my side on the bike.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #10
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Awesome pics. Beautiful bike. My dad's working on his pics, but he just rode his BMW GS from Chicago up to the Arctic Ocean via the Yukon a few weeks back. Think he covered near 12,000 miles when all was said and done.

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CK
BimmerIsMyName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #11
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post

You know ever since I got the bike my interest in romping around in cars has diminished considerably. I think my beloved Moop will be living out her days as a perfectly polished hangar queen!

Same here. I drive the car like once a month. Why carry around a big pile of metal when 2 wheels and an engine is all you need?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:59 AM   #12
k2pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerIsMyName View Post
Awesome pics. Beautiful bike. My dad's working on his pics, but he just rode his BMW GS from Chicago up to the Arctic Ocean via the Yukon a few weeks back. Think he covered near 12,000 miles when all was said and done.
Didn't he do that a while bike? Did he do it again? I recall really liking the thread you had on it last time. It's one of those adventures I plan on doing in my life. And definitely one to tierra del fuego. Not sure if I'd do both in the same trip though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Same here. I drive the car like once a month. Why carry around a big pile of metal when 2 wheels and an engine is all you need?
Yup, I've always said it's just stupid how much mass we have to lug around to transport us puny bags of water. Hopefully in the not too distant future of my life, I'll even have a plane that can fit the bike in it. Then you really can go anywhere.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:26 AM   #13
HardPark'd TT

My Ride: is parked hard.
Send a message via AIM to HardPark'd TT
That bike is sex. Add that to my want list.

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
HardPark'd TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 AM   #14
ride365

I like breakfast in Elk, but that whole area is nice.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arena.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	566988  

Last edited by ride365; 07-28-2014 at 01:53 AM.
ride365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:46 AM   #15
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
When I'm bored I just rub a nut off. You Sir, are lucky.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:57 AM   #16
k2pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
I like breakfast in Elk, but that whole area is nice.

That is too cool man. You can actually see the gravel turnout I took the first photo in this thread! What the hell are the odds? Of all the little turnouts to pull off at.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #17
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Looks awesome man.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #18
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
That settles it. Taking the bike into work today instead of the cage.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #19
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
Didn't he do that a while bike? Did he do it again? I recall really liking the thread you had on it last time. It's one of those adventures I plan on doing in my life. And definitely one to tierra del fuego. Not sure if I'd do both in the same trip though..
Yea, he did it before. Last trip he did he only went up to the Arctic Circle. This time around he went past that and up to the Arctic Ocean. Trip wasn't without issue though. 1 guy in the group didn't torque the bolts on the rear tire enough and sheared all 5 bolt and fvcked up the drive shaft. His bike ended up having to be trailered from the Yukon to Fairbanks (nearest BMW place) to be fixed. Last i heard cost him like $4000 to get it fixed and trailered to Fairbanks from the Yukon. My dad's bike was mechanically fine. Only thing that happened to my dad was a truck tire exploded next to him. My dad was wearing a helmet and all the right gear, but he had the visor up a bit and his sunglasses on and the tire nailed him in the eye (almost like a perfect shot type of thing). My dad ended up having numerous shards of glass and rubber removed from his eye as a result

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CK
BimmerIsMyName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #20
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
OP has some of the BEST shots in the photography thread. Keep it up man!