E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
pmachan

My Ride: bmw
Bad ping with Shark

01 330i, 5spd, stock engine.

Let me say first, the car pinged quite a bit stock, before Shark, I was hoping the shark would be a bit richer and eliminate it, not the case.
Its much worse with the shark. Everything works fine, power is fine, response is fine, no codes, fuel economy is normal, it just pings like crazy at part throttle.
I have read that replacing knock sensors can help, but that the ping can return. Be nice to figure out why its pinging and why the factory knock sening system does not catch it?

Thanks
pmachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Fuel is usually the first problem/cause in this situation. Do you run the highest octane (Premium) you can buy ? Also, have you tried switching gas stations, sometimes your local gas station sells bad/crappy fuel.

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
pmachan

Crap, sorry, forgot that detail. Always 91, different stations, never matters.
Also have tried 3 different octane boosters, Lucas, NOS, and STP, none had much affect, the NOS one seemed a *bit* better, but it still pinged.

Going to try Torco next, I use that in my racecar, but its not any sort of long term solution due to availability and price.

....This thing is not a 79 Buick with a smog V8 and a bad tune up, its a modern fuel injected car with TWO knock sensors, you would think, well, that it should not knock..
Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

I feel your pain, your situation sucks.

I have been using the Shark Injector for years, mine works perfectly. Actually I can't remember anyone making a thread like yours discussing "pinging", so it's Very uncommon.

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Llink78

My Ride: 2002 330i
Try taking the car in to undated the dme? i know there have been a few versions out and mine updated a few versions when i went in. i have a 02 330i. might be worth a shot.

234HP/197TQ Just bolt ons :) New Numbers Coming Soon!
Llink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmachan View Post
Let me say first, the car pinged quite a bit stock, before Shark, I was hoping the shark would be a bit richer and eliminate it, not the case.
Its much worse with the shark.
What makes you think that Shark tune makes the engine run richer? Have you look at Shark tune maps, are you a tuner?

Fact is all BMW factory tunes run a bit rich at full throttle, what all commercial tuners do is make them leaner for more power. All these tunes were done when cars first came out and test cars were very low mileage, practically new. Now 13 years later on high mileage engine with dirty injectors and carbon deposit on top of the pistons, these commercial tunes are no longer recommended. Commercial tune will run your engine with more advanced timing and leaner fuel mixture, no wonder why it is pinging.

Quote:
Actually I can't remember anyone making a thread like yours discussing "pinging", so it's Very uncommon.
What is common for people to say is that shark injector brings no power at all. You know why? Because it pings and system retards the timing so you actually don't feel any increase.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post

What is common for people to say is that shark injector brings no power at all. You know why? Because it pings and system retards the timing so you actually don't feel any increase.

Please post Dyno proof that the Shark Injector makes no whp.

Good luck,
Rob43

Quote:
Old 07-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
pmachan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
What makes you think that Shark tune makes the engine run richer? Have you look at Shark tune maps, are you a tuner?

Fact is all BMW factory tunes run a bit rich at full throttle, what all commercial tuners do is make them leaner for more power. All these tunes were done when cars first came out and test cars were very low mileage, practically new. Now 13 years later on high mileage engine with dirty injectors and carbon deposit on top of the pistons, these commercial tunes are no longer recommended. Commercial tune will run your engine with more advanced timing and leaner fuel mixture, no wonder why it is pinging.

I said I had *hoped* the shark may make part throttle a bit richer. The car pinged stock, as I wrote, now its just a bit worse.
I did a seafoam treatment, car has 80k.
I did not buy the shark for the tiny bit of power it provides, but for the added throttle response, as the stock 330 is a slug. It does exactly as advertised.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
pmachan

So, mixed a tank of fuel up to 105 oct, no change in ping at all.
Not sure how that is even possible.

I also logged some data form the obd2 port with an ELM, it all looks fine to me.
Timing does nothing odd.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmachan View Post
So, mixed a tank of fuel up to 105 oct, no change in ping at all.
Not sure how that is even possible.

I also logged some data form the obd2 port with an ELM, it all looks fine to me.
Timing does nothing odd.

OK, you now realize you have a different problem. If no codes are present, here's how I'd proceed:

1) Pull the Shark back out of your Bimmer & drive it for a week to see if you get a different/better result.

If you don't:

2) I'd take your Bimmer to your local BMW dealer & have them Re-flash your ECU. This will take about one (1) hour of labor and will give you BMW's latest software for your Bimmer. Now drive it for a week to see if this fixed it, if it does, re-load your Shark Injector.

Good luck,
Rob43

Quote:
Old 08-16-2014, 02:34 AM   #11
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
If I remember correctly, Shark Injector recommends an aftermarket air intake and 91-95 octane.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #12
-lynel-

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
e46tchtuner OP stated a mix of 105octane did not resolve the issue. neither the shark injector or fuel quality will be the issue. sounds like something physical like dirty or blocked injectors, bad fuel pressure or even hotspots on the pistons though less likely
-lynel- is offline   Reply With Quote