E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Replacing factory sound deadener......what to use?

Under my speaker try below the back window there is some black material, hard, and chipping. I believe this to be some sort of sound deadener or vibration dampened. I would like to replace it and go to some length to make my car quieter than it already is. My goal is to eliminate road noise and I would like advice on a product that does that.

Why I posted this is because I have opinions ranging for 2006 up till 2014

Some say dynamat is a joke and sound deadener is useless

Some say you don't need as much as everyone uses.

Some line their whole car with hundreds of dollars of second skin products in 3 layers.

And......I don't know jack about any of it so I don't know who to believe or what is the correct route. All of this for some chipping sound deadener......I don't even know what that's made out of.

Here is the stuff on the doors

What is this stuff......some kind of foam.......soft and flexible-

And this stuff.....it's ripped in 2 behind the battery cable
When moved it crumbles.....not the same as the stuff on the door. Seems heavy and asphalt based

Crumbles-

Stuff on the door seems like the same as above but in better shape and not as stiff.

-

And we've all had the back seat bottom out. There's the same stuff that sits on the floor

And this here.....different than all the others
It's the one I want to replace first. It's 1/8 thick and cracking....the black stuff on the edge.
And what's this yellow stuff
i
chipping away-

What is all this stuff and where can I get better than oem replacements that are of quality and kill road noise. I want the car quiet but I'm not lining the entire thing in dynamat.

Here's the car I need some wide railroad track to run it at this point. I think this is the best time to take care of soundproofing.

-

Last edited by glhx; 08-20-2014 at 03:38 AM.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
toy4to

My Ride: 2004 M3 AA Gen6 1.5
Use any sound deadender of your choice, and follow up with 1/8inch ensolite or volara on top. The ensolite/volara helps out a lot.

Last edited by toy4to; 08-20-2014 at 10:13 AM.
toy4to is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
glhx

What about the butyl based second skin damplifier pro and the Dynamat extreme. Here's what I've read and learned.
They are cld with butyl rubber and a foam backing.
They absorb vibrations mostly
Second skin said to cover the car 80% with damplifier and 100% in luxury liner
Others have said only 25% of every panel needs to be covered to absorb vibrations.
How much road noise do these vibrations contribute to the whole picture. From what I've read on forums....some say these certain vibrations don't amount too road noise much and I should cover the car in 100% ccf which does deflect road noise.
The manufactures say.....use both.....put down the butyl and then the ccf with mlv.

I just want to get what's actually needed and not drink manufactured Kool aid

The ensolite is ccf as well as the volara.

I think the car from the factory has butyl rubber

Last edited by glhx; 08-20-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
most people would look at some of the pictures of sound deadening i've done in my cars and think i'm crazy. then i tell them that it wasn't even for a sound system and they look even more confused. i'm a freak about rattles, creaks, squeeks, etc...so i've done some pretty wild builds, not for bass control, but instead for road noise, wind noise, tire noise, drivetrain vibrations....

i've used most of every single product out there and the one company i'll vouch for over and over again is Second Skin. their line of Damplifier is definitely in a different league. their foil is extremely thick and instead of having to use 2-3 sheets of cheaper stuff to achieve desired deadening or thickness, Damplifier Pro only requires a very small amount. at one point, i had almost 10 different mats sitting side by side to one another so i could inspect the differences first hand and the Damp was definitely worth more (which is usually why it costs more than the competition).

i've also used both their Overkill (and pro) and Luxury Liner and created awesome results. i cut the mufflers off of a car i had and in the city it sounded aggressive but at highway speeds the drone between 60-70 mph was unbearable. i pulled the back seats out and threw a layer of Damp (regular, not even pro) down under the bench and a small amount into the trunk and followed that with a layer of regular, non pro Overkill. i put my interior back in, went for a ride and discovered that the money i spent on the muffler delete was wasted because my car was quieter than it was even when it was stock. it was an unbelievable night and day difference. i honestly did not expect it to be that extreme and had i known it would've muted my exhaust completely, i probably wouldn't have put that layer of Overkill in and maybe not even done as much coverage with the Damplifer.

i'm in no way affiliated to Second Skin but i do like to help people out and when it comes to this, do it right the first time and just get a a quality product.
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
glhx

Sounds great. I'm going to go with that and we are after the same result. I want quiet , and bmw is already the most quiet car I've ever owned. I've already done most of the per maintenance and now I want some upgrades. Like avin avant

That being said.......what would you recommend from second skin and where would you recommend it. I know I will go with b stock damplifier and probably some luxury liner.

Last edited by glhx; 08-20-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhx View Post
Sounds great. I'm going to go with that and we are after the same result. I want quiet , and bmw is already the most quiet car I've ever owned. I've already done most of the per maintenance and now I want some upgrades. Like avin avant

That being said.......what would you recommend from second skin and where would you recommend it. I know I will go with b stock damplifier and probably some luxury liner.
wow, sorry i never responded. choosing what to use and where to use it really depends on your budget. a layer of damp will make a difference on it's own so you could start with that and see how you like the results. i've done both the inner and outer skins on my doors (as well as a removable panel to cover the opening for the window regulator), entire floor going partially up the firewall, rear seat area above gas tank, both rear inner wheel tubs, inner and outer skin on the quarter panel, roof, trunk, underneath hood panel, etc....

i've done too much stuff to be able to tell you what will make the biggest difference but doing the wheel wells and backs seat floor area is a great place to start. it cancels noises from both the rear wheels as well as the exhaust. anything that keeps noise from going inside the cabin is the goal.
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote