E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
PhEnX

My Ride: 01 330CI
Standalone tuning?

Is there software for the E46 that can be purchased that will allow you to tune the DME? Not wanting to buy a canned tune or spend $3000 on an AEM Infinity.. There must be another way?
PhEnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:11 AM   #2
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
what would you like to tune? ignition? fuel? what measuring parts do you have for that purpouse?

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
B18c1turboedek

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I'm looking at trying the infinity 6. It's capable of doing the ignition and fuel.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
B18c1turboedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #4
PhEnX

My Ride: 01 330CI
Wanting to tune ignition and fuel have wideband dyno etc...
PhEnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
There is no stand alone ECU available for these cars. You won't be able to get any more horsepower out of these engines anyway in naturally aspirated state.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
JDUTHIE

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Vems, vipec, motec. Ms3.
JDUTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
There is no stand alone ECU available for these cars. You won't be able to get any more horsepower out of these engines anyway in naturally aspirated state.
Once again, piss poor Bad Information.....

Hell, my Shark Injector made over 6 WHP on the dyno. On a E46 328 the Shark will make over 10 WHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUTHIE View Post
Vems, vipec, motec. Ms3.
Yep.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Once again, piss poor Bad Information.....

Hell, my Shark Injector made over 6 WHP on the dyno. On a E46 328 the Shark will make over 10 WHP.

Rob43
Not true. Even if it was. 6 WHP is nothing and would not justify investing $5000 in stand alone system. I can make 6 WHP on any car with running much thinner oil like 0-20w. Once again you with your childish nonsense
Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
Not true. Even if it was. 6 WHP is nothing and would not justify investing $5000 in stand alone system. I can make 6 WHP on any car with running much thinner oil like 0-20w. Once again you with your childish nonsense

I certainly didn't have to do any of the nonsense you're talking about to gain my 6.5 WHP & greatly increased drive-ability. My Bimmer feels completely better on my Shark Injector, and it only cost me $300 at the time.

Thin oil.....LOL

Good luck,
Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #10
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
I am never quite certain whether Haken spreads so much disinformation and abrasiveness to incite fights or whether he really is as misinformed as he has demonstrated. One way or another I am amazed he has not found himself banned.

A tune is entirely useful n/a or otherwise as has been demonstrated time and again.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-26-2014 at 09:12 PM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 AM   #11
daniel_f.

actually i donīt understand why heīs so misleading in the last times. if you take some time and have a look at older threads, one can find that he was a very interested and helpful person.

i really wonder what can happen to a person to become such a grumpy cat

Nevertheless, if i understand OP correctly, heīs searching for tuning software instead of changing his ecu to proefi or similar.

there are at least three different possibilities:

- http://www.bmweditor.com/Home/Product
- if you are familiar with russian language: http://www.autodealer.ru/autoportal/equipment/item/248
- help us progressing: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044719

Last edited by daniel_f.; 08-27-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 AM   #12
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
actually i donīt understand why heīs so misleading in the last times. if you take some time and have a look at older threads, one can find that he was a very interested and helpful person.

i really wonder what can happen to a person to become such a grumpy cat

Nevertheless, if i understand OP correctly, heīs searching for tuning software instead of changing his ecu to proefi or similar.

- http://www.bmweditor.com/Home/Product
- if you are familiar with russian language: http://www.autodealer.ru/autoportal/equipment/item/248
- help us progressing: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044719
Question, Do we know of Anyone who has bought and Successfully used this tuning software for MS43 ?

Rob43

Quote:
Old 08-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #13
daniel_f.

well, it seems to be a "copy" of Chiptuning Pro, it even comes of the same region.

its actually just a damos file with translations for "the everyone" and a nice graphic interface. nothing which canīt be done if a few others would work on MS43, too.

We even have a usefull tuner pro xdf file... it has just to be ordered and reduced to the basic things like ignition, fuel etc.

what iīm really missing is the enthusiasm the mss54 guys have had. they were so few, but they have done it almost completely.

sadly i just have my daily driver which i canīt test that much i would like, so we would made so much progress if some others would chime in and help trying (practical) how things are arranged

Old 08-27-2014, 02:04 AM   #14
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post

A tune is entirely useful n/a or otherwise as has been demonstrated time and again.
Tune is horrible for these engines, safety margin is erased to gain very small peak horsepower of 6hp.

Quote:

Ok so I answered the OP's question and not I am a bad guy? I told him there is none and now you give some links to some useless stuff. Quit spreading disinformation.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #15
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
A standalone won't do much in terms of power unless the rest of the engine has some upgrades. I'm pretty confident that a good tuner (Randy Mueller for example) with access to a GT1 could make the same powerband as Peter and I made with the MS3 - it would just be a lot more expensive getting there and there are some other advantages to the MS3 that made it the right choice for me.

There is nothing particularly magical about standalone engine management. In many cases they use most or all of the stock BMW sensors and are controlling the stock BMW actuators (such as for the VANOS). The stock DME, when tuned correctly, can control all of those I/O to the same ranges as a standalone, so logically why would it make more or less power? The stock computer is fast. This isn't the 80's with dog-slow computers that can't adjust things finely enough or fast enough.

The reason we went to the Megasquirt is because there are very few people who know the DME well enough to tune it correctly, and they charge a pretty penny to do it. The MS3 is much easier to work with and gives you some options that a stock system doesn't - like a flex fuel sensor if you want to run ethanol, the ability to delete the MAF sensor, the ability to run a cable throttle body, etc.

I disagree with the statement that "tune is horrible for these engines, safety margin is erased..." We just haven't seen it to be true. In naturally aspirated trim, these engines are really resistant to pinging. They don't heat the fuel much (i.e. unlike a Miata) and they're not sensitive to too much ignition advance - we've never experienced preignition on my M54. They're insensitive to fuel mixture - we've played with this a lot and found that from "too lean" to "too rich" doesn't change power very much at all. And we've done all sorts of wacky things with the VANOS trying to find the sweet spot and not run across any problems.

In summary, are there standalones available for these engines? Yes.
Do they make more power than a professionally, custom-tuned DME? Not really.
Do they have other advantages over a stock DME? Definitely yes!
Does tuning an otherwise mostly-stock engine eliminate any safety margin? Not at all.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SoloII///M; 08-27-2014 at 05:19 AM.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #16
jared_wiesner

Very well put solo.

As a side note, I am very curious about that bmw editor software.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-27-2014 at 06:22 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #17
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
I always go back and forth on this platform... whether there's real interest or if it should be left to run its course as TunerPro freeware.
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
jared_wiesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth1 View Post
I always go back and forth on this platform... whether there's real interest or if it should be left to run its course as TunerPro freeware.
I think there is enough interest that you could make a decent amount of money off of it smooth.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #19
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
I think it'd be a fun project. Editing, flashing, and logging all in one. It doesn't need to be expensive to be good.
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #20
daniel_f.

You know what i think of that idea

Would be awesome if it could handle an wideband/egt input and overlay that to the logging.