E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #1
Don Juan

My Ride: 2011 X5 35d
Talking Raced a 330ZHP with my 01 330ci...

One of my neighbours has a ZHP 330 (black with black) for a few months now, we were talking about our cars and said his ZHP was faster than any 330 out there. So I said, let's go and see if my car can keep up.. so first we took a curvy turn before the highway (my car has PSS9s and strut bar). His felt a bit behind but hang there. Then I was on the entrance ramp (he was behind me) and we floored it. I started pulling away so I said maybe he is not pushing it. We got side by side (about 40 to 50 mph) and we gave the Ok, he had a about a 1/2 a car jump start on me. Suddently I start passing him and pulling away. About 2 cars in front of him I signaled to drop it (I won't say the speed but it was clear and no cars around) he pulled next to me and gave me thumbs up.So we try again and te same thing happend . We turned around and went back home. He was shock of the way I was pulling on him. he said he redlined the car and shifted as fast as he could. We shook hands and went home to taste my win with a nice lunch my wife made

So to all of you Fanatics, is that ZHP a BS . By reading post here, I know the coupe is faster than the sedan but common pulling away?

His car is stock; my car has UUC pullies,Dinan Stage 2 chip and ECIS intake.

Don Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:33 PM   #2
He and his
name's PHIL

My Ride: is not my sig
Send a message via AIM to He and his Send a message via MSN to He and his
THE ROCKS ARMS ARE HUGE...........dammmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Drive me biach
He and his is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:36 PM   #3
ILLCOMM
like ma bell, i got the...

My Ride: 911 GT2
please come race me.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:37 PM   #4
BigRain
^_^

My Ride: 316i
Sedan is usually faster than coupes in accleration due to lighter body.

I think it's mainly your UUC pullie that's doing the work here. But that's just my opinion.

'02 Ti Ag 4dr : 99% stock
BigRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:38 PM   #5
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
How do you figure that the coupe is faster than the sedan? From my experience they are about the same.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:41 PM   #6
GeoMystic

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
Re: Raced a 330ZHP with my 01 330ci...

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Juan
I know the coupe is faster than the sedan but common pulling away?

What are you basing this insane quote on??

DId he know about your mods? Plus his car still needs to break in.

2003 330i Mystic Blue - Black Alcantara/Cloth
6 Sp Manual | Performance Package | Cold Weather Package | Silver Cube Trim | Navigation | Bi-Xenons | Moonroof | PDC

OEM Clears - OEM Alarm - OEM TV Function retro - Blaupunkt DVD-ME3 - HD-DICE - DIY Clutch Stop - Silver headlight inserts - M3 Rearview Mirror - OEM ///M Dead Pedal - Euro First Aid Kit - Euro Warning Triangle - 35/20 Window Tint - ECIS CAI - ACS Style Roof Spoiler
GeoMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:42 PM   #7
Don Juan

Quote:
How do you figure that the coupe is faster than the sedan? From my experience they are about the same.
Just by reading test reports fromAutoweek,ca& drive,etc. The cupe managed to get abest of 5.7 sec to 60 and a 14.7 1/4mile while the sedans best was 6.1 and 14.9

Old 08-19-2003, 10:44 PM   #8
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:

Just by reading test reports fromAutoweek,ca& drive,etc. The cupe managed to get abest of 5.7 sec to 60 and a 14.7 1/4mile while the sedans best was 6.1 and 14.9
Odd, they have the same engine and as mentioned the sedan is lighter. Hmmm, anyone have a guess on this?

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:48 PM   #9
Don Juan

Quote:
What are you basing this insane quote on??
Hey guys, NO FLAMES HERE. I'm just sharing my personal opinions and test results with his car. He has around 5800 miles. The ZHP only has 10 more horses than my car, a short shift (which I have a SSK) plus my car has an intake (breaths better) and pullies. I was shock to see the results, but the advantage I THINK is minimal between a ZHP and a 330ci. My engine is more broke in (almost 30,000 miles) than his.

That is all. We all have BMWs and I love all of them. I'm not here to trash anyones ride.

Old 08-20-2003, 12:54 AM   #10
Jagiyappohaejo
Owner, E46Fanatic

My Ride: 02 330Ci X5 4.4i,3.0
Good Kill buddy!!
Old 08-20-2003, 12:57 AM   #11
V330xi

My Ride: 2003 M3
Send a message via AIM to V330xi
BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

SOLD : ( I cant belive its gone. Loved it, well, now I guess I get to look on to better things ... hint ,,, M3
V330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 01:25 AM   #12
Double Vanos
Loves cookies

My Ride: 2013 VW GTi
Send a message via AIM to Double Vanos
I hope you beat him with all those mods!

2011 135i 6 speed (Gone and missed)
Double Vanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 01:40 AM   #13
Matthew330Ci
Unregistered User

My Ride: M3
i don't know what gives you guys the idea that sedans are lighter than coupes, but the 325ci weighs less than the 325i and both the 330's weigh the same.

straight from bmwusa.com

325i : 5sp 3219 auto 3309
325Ci: 5sp 3197 auto 3285

330i: 5sp 3285 auto 3362
330Ci: 5sp 3285 auto 3362

Sold: 03 330Ci 5M/SP

Last edited by Matthew78; 08-20-2003 at 02:06 AM.
Matthew330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 01:42 AM   #14
WarSong
Obey my dog

My Ride: 2007 Audi A4 3.2Q
Send a message via ICQ to WarSong Send a message via AIM to WarSong Send a message via MSN to WarSong
Quote:
Originally posted by tim330i

Odd, they have the same engine and as mentioned the sedan is lighter. Hmmm, anyone have a guess on this?

Tim
hmm bmw's web site list both the 330Ci and the 330i at the exact same weight, 3285lbs
Old 08-20-2003, 02:02 AM   #15
Tommyboy

My Ride: 08 335i
Re: Raced a 330ZHP with my 01 330ci...

Quote:
One of my neighbours has a ZHP 330 (black with black) for a few months now, we were talking about our cars and said his ZHP was faster than any 330 out there. So I said, let's go and see if my car can keep up.. so first we took a curvy turn before the highway (my car has PSS9s and strut bar). His felt a bit behind but hang there. Then I was on the entrance ramp (he was behind me) and we floored it. I started pulling away so I said maybe he is not pushing it. We got side by side (about 40 to 50 mph) and we gave the Ok, he had a about a 1/2 a car jump start on me. Suddently I start passing him and pulling away. About 2 cars in front of him I signaled to drop it (I won't say the speed but it was clear and no cars around) he pulled next to me and gave me thumbs up.So we try again and te same thing happend . We turned around and went back home. He was shock of the way I was pulling on him. he said he redlined the car and shifted as fast as he could. We shook hands and went home to taste my win with a nice lunch my wife made

So to all of you Fanatics, is that ZHP a BS . By reading post here, I know the coupe is faster than the sedan but common pulling away?

His car is stock; my car has UUC pullies,Dinan Stage 2 chip and ECIS intake.

BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS SWITCH DRIVERS OF THE CARS AND SEE IF THE SAME THING HAPPENS....
Old 08-20-2003, 02:56 AM   #16
e46boy
call me kev :D

My Ride: '08 Lexus GS460
Send a message via AIM to e46boy
Re: Re: Raced a 330ZHP with my 01 330ci...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommyboy

BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS SWITCH DRIVERS OF THE CARS AND SEE IF THE SAME THING HAPPENS....
that's exactly what i was going to say

my friend which will remain nameless said ZHP does 0-60 in 5.5 which is considerably faster than 330... i guess ur mod makes up the difference

but seriously.. switch car and see

Bye bye E46, hello new car :D
e46boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 03:06 AM   #17
smoke

My Ride: 2002, 325Ci
take it to the track and see which car has the better time, same driver with both cars.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:41 AM   #18
48yugrac
Banned

My Ride: Is not complete
Quote:
Originally posted by WarSong

hmm bmw's web site list both the 330Ci and the 330i at the exact same weight, 3285lbs(sic 3362)
In 2001, the 330i weighed less then the 330ci.
48yugrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:01 AM   #19
ssabripo
Say hello to my lito fren

My Ride: 330ci RIP-->('04 X5)
Send a message via ICQ to ssabripo Send a message via AIM to ssabripo Send a message via Skype™ to ssabripo
Don Juan,

don't worry about it.....WELCOME TO THE CLUB. You have a whole bunch of zelous ZHP owners that want to continue thinking their $3900 "upgrade" is the end-all-be-all of mods, and some others who look at it in paper and read the opinions of the aforementioned owners, and you will see why you get some of the harsh comments you get.

Chek this thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ight=coilovers

a couple of months ago, ILLCOMM was deciding between the 330ci and the ZHP, and people were posting some ridiculous and ignorant comments....it's laughable. I'm glad ILLCOMM got a ZHP, and he seems happy; I just couldn't believe the rationale they were using to "persuade" him.

Since that thread, I have two guys at work that have bought ZHP's.....I have raced both of them, one of them on the track (Morrosso), and it is not even close.... I RAPED THEM, both. We even switched cars just to try it, and my colleague said he wished he would have spent the money on performance mods (he has a tight budget )....... Let's see, that makes the score: my modded 330ci 5, ZHP's 0

Don juan, you will win everytime!! CONGRATS.

PS- Oh, and we met with Steve Pelkey, Sr. Engineering manager at BMWUSA in SPartanburg (he came down to visit Lauderdale Imports, and I just happened to be there for service). He saw my car and congratulated me saying it looked very nicely done. anyways, we talked, and we started conversing about future performance upgrades for 3-series....then I brought the whole ZHP vs my Modded car up...he literally laughed when I told him several BMW owners feel the ZHP will take my car on a race track....

KW Coilovers and RD sways.....vs......ZHP suspension
GruppeM, AA chip, RD exhaust....vs.....ZHP exhaust, 3:08diff; and 10Hp

a retard can see who has the advantage

Last edited by ssabripo; 08-20-2003 at 09:26 AM.
ssabripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:18 AM   #20
GeoMystic

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
Why is there so much Performance Package HATE on this board? Everyone seems to go out of their way to put down and try to outperform the ZHP. You know that these races and comparos are not fair anyway, since none of these ZHP's have been fully broken in yet (by broken in I mean 20,000-25,000 miles) WHen I drive I don't look for 330ci's or 330i SP and try to burn them. I enjoy the car for what it is. I just can't seem to understand why so many people over here trash this package and constantly try to prove it wrong. The AUDI and Benz forums must be laughing there asses off watching you guys abuse yourselves.

2003 330i Mystic Blue - Black Alcantara/Cloth
6 Sp Manual | Performance Package | Cold Weather Package | Silver Cube Trim | Navigation | Bi-Xenons | Moonroof | PDC

OEM Clears - OEM Alarm - OEM TV Function retro - Blaupunkt DVD-ME3 - HD-DICE - DIY Clutch Stop - Silver headlight inserts - M3 Rearview Mirror - OEM ///M Dead Pedal - Euro First Aid Kit - Euro Warning Triangle - 35/20 Window Tint - ECIS CAI - ACS Style Roof Spoiler
GeoMystic is offline   Reply With Quote