E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
FLBEARCUB

My Ride: '01 325iTA
Revisit-Closing windows with remote

I'm still trying to figure this out.

Do Canadian cars have this feature? I know Europe has it.

Just so there is no confusion, I am talking about being able to close the windows with the remote key in your hand, not in the door lock.

Titanium Silver/Tanin Red Leather

Factory Options
Steptronic - Sport Package - Cold Weather Package - Power Seat Package - Xenon Headlights - HK - Moonroof

BMW Upgrades
M-Tech Aero Kit - Club Sport Spitters - M3 Power Folding Mirrors - 17" M68 BMW Wheels - M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles - On Board Computer - Matt Aluminum Interior Trim - Titan Headlight Trim - Leather Armrest - First Aid Kit - Fire Extinguisher- Spare Gas Can - Warning Triangle - CD Changer

Performance/Visual upgrades
Active Autowerke Supercharger - AA Exhaust - AA Front Strut Brace - Dinan Transmission Software - VS SMG/Steptronic Retrofit - AC Schnitzer Roof Spoiler - DDE GEN-5
FLBEARCUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:51 PM   #2
Clem
Alpha Male

My Ride: Twin Turbo'd Beast
Only Euro models have this feature
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 02:56 PM   #3
truwon
2 point five 3 two 3 i

My Ride: .2000.323i.
Send a message via MSN to truwon
really! those bastards!

but seriously, what button do they use? maybe they hold down the lock button?
Old 08-20-2003, 03:01 PM   #4
FLBEARCUB

Ok, since US dealers are unable or unwilling to code our cars with this feature what if I ordered a Euro Basic Module (uncoded) and had it coded it to my car. Would I get it the function by default?

US Basic module: 61-35-6-914-368 (ETK says for USA cars only)

Euro Basic Module: 61-35-6-923-960

Factory Options
Steptronic - Sport Package - Cold Weather Package - Power Seat Package - Xenon Headlights - HK - Moonroof

BMW Upgrades
M-Tech Aero Kit - Club Sport Spitters - M3 Power Folding Mirrors - 17" M68 BMW Wheels - M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles - On Board Computer - Matt Aluminum Interior Trim - Titan Headlight Trim - Leather Armrest - First Aid Kit - Fire Extinguisher- Spare Gas Can - Warning Triangle - CD Changer

Active Autowerke Supercharger - AA Exhaust - AA Front Strut Brace - Dinan Transmission Software - VS SMG/Steptronic Retrofit - AC Schnitzer Roof Spoiler - DDE GEN-5
Old 08-20-2003, 03:04 PM   #5
stahlgrau
stahlgrau

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Which module is this? Seems like a nice feature to have. Can anyone comment on how this works? One touch and they close, or hold down and they close? My guess would be hold down.
stahlgrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 03:08 PM   #6
Tommy_hf

My Ride: '03 ci
Didn't know USA models don't have the remote AND key function of winding down and up of the windows...
Quite stupid, it costs nothing extra in devellopment to stick the euro parts in USA cars as well. Does it have anything to do with the "if anything goes wrong, even if it's my own fault, I'll sue the factory" nature of the USA?
Like when you close your windows with the remote and a kid gets stuck? Or you opened the windows and some ghetto man jumps in and steals your car?
Strange.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:09 PM   #7
BigFas
Flex UK Style

My Ride: Entry Level Drop Top
Stahguru. Correct, holding down the lock button will close windows, holding down the open button will open the windows.

However, this only works on coupes and saloons, not the verts. AND it's dependant on the software on your car. So if you buy a Euro module, because you dont have the Euro software on your car, it won't work. The function is normally programmed by the dealer and is not a default feature
Old 08-20-2003, 03:09 PM   #8
Straz M3
Rogue Engineering

My Ride: 2008 M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to Straz M3
My Audi has this feature. All windows open with holding the unlock. All windows close with holding the lock button. I dont know why our BMWs dont have it
Old 08-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #9
48yugrac
Banned

My Ride: Is not complete
Tommy, that's exactly why the US doesn't have the close feature from the remote, afraid some one will get hurt and BMW would get sued.
48yugrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 03:15 PM   #10
FLBEARCUB

Tommy_hf: We can open the windows with remote, just can't close them.

BigFas: What if I had the Euro Basic Module coded in Europe on an identical Euro car and plugged into my US car?

Factory Options

BMW Upgrades

Old 08-20-2003, 03:37 PM   #11
BigFas
Flex UK Style

My Ride: Entry Level Drop Top
No such thing as an "identical" Euro car, sure the make and model will be the same, but the coding on the key will be different enough to ensure the software isn't compatible
Old 08-20-2003, 04:24 PM   #12
cerbera

My Ride: 330Ci
The opening and closing of windows and sunroof from the remote is a function that can be programmed on and off by the dealer.

I would think that there is no reason why this feature would require a hardware mod for a US car, the issue being finding a dealer that will do it - you would need to overwrite the software in the control module.

Have a look at http://www.mavericktechnology.co.uk

Click on the BMW CarSoft icon. The package( software plus a serial port to BMW diag plug cable ) is expensive, but some independent dealers here have bought it, and they are a lot more helpful than the main dealer.

I've used this package to stop the rear windows opening automatically, switch on the headlight delay plus checking a number of other things.

The guys at Maverick are considering doing a limited licence version ( i.e. only works with pre-identified cars ) for the home user at a much lower price...but nothing as yet.

You can also read and change any other parameter on the car.

There must be an equivalent to this in the US?
cerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:29 PM   #13
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
How much is expensive?

Is there anything else like this software out for BMWs? I know that you can get VAG software for audis and it is sweet.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:33 PM   #14
cerbera

$6k+

Depends on the options - don't it always....
Old 08-20-2003, 04:45 PM   #15
noBenz

My Ride: 04 325 Ci
Send a message via AIM to noBenz
No NO NO! Euro spec BMWs having the option to close the windows is a huge MYTH! I say this because I received delivery of my car in germany at a german BMW delaership. Granted I thought the same thing that my US spec couldn't close the windows, I asked the guy there if he could somehow put in the german module. He said that no BMWS can close their windows with the key as it is a safety feature. I said yea in the U.S its a safety concern and he replied no even here in Germany. I then later learned about the TUV and all the other inspections german cars must go through and now I understand why even Euro spec BMW's don't have this option.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:51 PM   #16
cerbera

OK....lets be clear

on my car, 2002 330Ci...

If I press the 'open' button on the key fob and keep it pressed for more than 3 seconds, all four windows open.

Then, if I press the lock button, and keep it pressed for more than 3 seconds, the windows close....

I'm NOT imagining it!!

and its in the user manual as well......
Old 08-20-2003, 05:25 PM   #17
KnobbytheRat

My Ride: 1999 323i
Well, mine don't do that, and believe me I tried. It would be soooooo cool if it did, cuz I'm always forgetting to close the sunroof and I have to climb back in, put the key in, turn it to on and close it. Pain in the arse.

But here's a question, how come I cannot unlock the trunk when the key is in the ignition?
Harman/Kardon
Alpine CHA 5634 6-Disc MP-3
Clears
KnobbytheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:41 PM   #18
blkonblk

My Ride: 06/2000 330i ZSP/ZPP
Quote:
Originally posted by KnobbytheRat
Well, mine don't do that, and believe me I tried. It would be soooooo cool if it did, cuz I'm always forgetting to close the sunroof and I have to climb back in, put the key in, turn it to on and close it. Pain in the arse...
silly, just put the key in the door, turn key to lock position, and hold it there until the sunroof closes all the way.

Life is a journey not a destination, so enjoy the ride!
blkonblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 11:03 PM   #19
KnobbytheRat

My Ride: 1999 323i
I'm not kidding, this doesn't work in my car. Even putting the key in the door, turning it to lock position and holding it there. How to enable this?
Harman/Kardon
Alpine CHA 5634 6-Disc MP-3
Clears
KnobbytheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:13 AM   #20
mjmartino

My Ride: '03 325i
Quote:
Originally posted by KnobbytheRat
I'm not kidding, this doesn't work in my car. Even putting the key in the door, turning it to lock position and holding it there. How to enable this?
Do yours open with the key (either holding down the "open" button or manually inserting the key and turning to the open position and holding?) If not, it may not be programmed. Yours is a pre-'01 though, and I'm not sure what it should have. My '03 will close the open windows and sunroof by inserting the key in the lock and turning it to the close position.

It'd be nice to have the ability to close the windows with the remote button though.