E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2003, 12:42 PM   #1
Tenchi
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist

My Ride: 330i, 535i
Send a message via AIM to Tenchi
Suspension Problems

I think I am having suspension problems but I am not sure. here are some symptoms that I am having:

1) car rides rough, expecially over the tinest of bumps

2) when going over medium bumps at low speeds, there is a loud thunk that reverberates throught the cabin

3) at high speeds on the highway (90-100) the car feels like its shaking

4) taking tight corners, I can feel the steering wheel vibrate

5) whn slowly going over spped bumps, the steering wheel moves a lot more than it used to.

Now, I did take the car in but they said that they cant duplicate the problem. Anyone have an idea whats wrong?
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:53 PM   #2
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Could be your control arm bushings. Do you have aftermarket stuff installed?

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
Tenchi

Quote:
Originally posted by tim330i
Could be your control arm bushings. Do you have aftermarket stuff installed?

Tim
no...completely stock.

U know what....control arm bushings.....on my 2000 328 I had similar problems and thats what they replaced. But the dealer said they could not find anything wrong
Old 08-21-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
Could be front control arm bushings...which could explain some the steering vibration.

Overall, it sounds like some sore of suspension issue...how do your rear shock mounts look?
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 01:53 PM   #5
Tenchi

Quote:
Originally posted by vinnymac
Could be front control arm bushings...which could explain some the steering vibration.

Overall, it sounds like some sore of suspension issue...how do your rear shock mounts look?
I havent looked at the rear shock mounts yet since the car is still at the dealership. What should I look for specifically?
Old 08-21-2003, 02:11 PM   #6
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Sounds like front control arm bushings and ball joints. I found that even the "upgraded" control arms have crappy ball joints and bushings so don't think that your new control arms will last for the life of the car.

Ed

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 02:15 PM   #7
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
Quote:
Originally posted by teamdfl
Sounds like front control arm bushings and ball joints. I found that even the "upgraded" control arms have crappy ball joints and bushings so don't think that your new control arms will last for the life of the car.

Ed

I agree with Ed. The "upgraded" E46 control arm bushings are nothing to write home about. I'm on my 3rd pair...the 1st pair lasted less than 10k miles and the 2nd pair lasted less than 2k miles...who knows how long my current bushings will last...hopefully, I can get them changed out right before my warranty expires.
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 02:20 PM   #8
dboffa
Like school on a Sunday...

My Ride: mezzi pubblici
Bushings are going on all three BMWs in my family right now. I hear it happens to everyone.

ALPACA CLUB - 11/10/03

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to determine if they are genuine."
Abraham Lincoln
dboffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:45 PM   #9
Tenchi

Well, I talked to the service advisor, and asked him about the control arm bushings....his response. There is nothing wrong with your car even though it vibrates as if I had a pair of 2000 watt speakers pounding away in the back.

I have an appt with another dealer on the 4th. Sucks cuz they give out toyota camry's as loaners.