Stocks for noobs ! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
LowProBimmer

My Ride: 325i 01
Stocks for noobs !

What's up fanatics I wanted to make a new thread on stock investments for rookie investors like me . I am 20 years old I have a stable job and slowly starting a business . Just finished paying off some loans and have extra cash and at 20 yrs old it's hard to keep cash in my bank account so I want to invest in a few stocks . I plan on starting small and as I learn the skill building up to bigger and more long term investments . I've ready some threads on this topic but you guys seem to be more experienced . Maybe you can gives us noobs some tips on how to start smart .
LowProBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
The basics include - stocks are for "after you have funded your retirement, emergency savings, and other savings goals". Until then, index funds give you the diversity needed for a proper investment portfolio with low expenses. My "basics" are covered here and apply to retirement but also other non-short term investments http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1022643

Since you're young, my other advice may be worth reading for you https://jlcnuke.wordpress.com/financ...older-as-well/
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
LowProBimmer

My Ride: 325i 01
Wow this is what I was looking for . Good advice thank you for sure this gives me a better idea on a good start and I see others as well .

I have a question "DRIPS" can I invest in drips stocks this early ? I know that I can easily buy without a broker . I was thinking of this as a long term investment option . Thanks
LowProBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
illuminated

My Ride: '99 S2 M3 | 5MT
An acquaintance of mine and I but money down on Tesla back when it was $40/share.. right now its trading at over $200. Of course this is very much due to the hype of the powerwall. However, I predict that as powerwalls become commonplace in homes, Tesla will begin to become a HUGE player in the energy industry (if you ask me, as instrumental as General Electric). We bought in before the Model S could be seen driving frequently pretty much where ever you live.

F3RN

ISO: Fern green (or otherwise) e36 M3 trunk,
(LTW) spoiler. Pm me

illuminated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
My nephew is 20 y.o., is in the Army and saved up about 50K. Decided to invest in stocks when he got back to the States and lost it all, including investment money from his mom, aunt and uncle-in-law...
Old 05-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #6
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowProBimmer View Post
at 20 yrs old it's hard to keep cash in my bank account
You need to work on that self control first. Individual stocks are dangerous for people like you because you are your greatest risk. I highly advise against buying single stocks, emotions can overcome logic easily.

Save up 6 months of expenses, max out your Roth IRA contributions ($5,500 per year) and come back to this thread when that's done.

Savings first, Long term investments second. Play investments later.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 05-07-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote