OEM Bi-xenon flicker issue - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #1
alexs.lens

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
OEM Bi-xenon flicker issue

Hello all,

For months now, I have had some flickering issues with my OEM projector bi-xenon lights. Typically, here are a few things that happen regardless of the car moving or not:

-Lights flicker
-Sometimes one will turn completely off, then come back on
-Sometimes one will turn completely off, then signal a bulb out warning on the dash, but will come back on when I switch my lights off and on again.

I have already tried new bulbs. They fixed the issue for a few weeks, but now I am back to the same flickering issue.

Please note: These things happen completely randomly, and the only thing that affects it is if I jerk the steering wheel left or right. This causes them to flicker.

I have searched several threads and the remedies seem to be re-grounding, wiring, or new ballasts.

Any and all help is appreciated. This is driving me mad!

Last edited by alexs.lens; 05-24-2016 at 01:11 AM.
alexs.lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
cs33988

My Ride: 2005 325ci
Interested to see what others have to say here. I had headlight issues and thought they were fixed. I tried new bulbs, swapped ballasts and ignitors, yet none of that solved the problem so I took it to BMW. They replaced the lighting control module but would not guarantee the work because they wanted to replace both headlights, which I declined. The headlight (passenger) works fine except when I make a hard right. Then it flickers and either comes right back or remains off (its about 50/50)
cs33988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
alexs.lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs33988 View Post
Interested to see what others have to say here. I had headlight issues and thought they were fixed. I tried new bulbs, swapped ballasts and ignitors, yet none of that solved the problem so I took it to BMW. They replaced the lighting control module but would not guarantee the work because they wanted to replace both headlights, which I declined. The headlight (passenger) works fine except when I make a hard right. Then it flickers and either comes right back or remains off (its about 50/50)
Did they replace it for free? Also, when I tried new bulbs it worked for about a week, then started doing the same things again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016, 01:35 AM   #4
alexs.lens

UPDATE:

Something I did not mention was that sometimes, the flickering does not happen. Sometimes I can do full 20+ minute drives with no issues. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 06-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
Shadanigans

My Ride: 2004 M3 convertible
Have you tried the brake light ground wire mod? The brake lights have thin ground wires and if you do the mod you solve some of the ground issues these cars have.
Shadanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
cleanZHP

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci ZHP
Having the same issue with mine. About 8 months back i changed my buld and noticed most of the wires were brittle and exposing the bare wire. I soldered some of the wires and taped them with electrical tape. Fixed my problem for a while but the problem is back again and even worse now.
cleanZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanZHP View Post
Having the same issue with mine. About 8 months back i changed my buld and noticed most of the wires were brittle and exposing the bare wire. I soldered some of the wires and taped them with electrical tape. Fixed my problem for a while but the problem is back again and even worse now.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=512469
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #8
cleanZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

The issue is with my passenger side headlight, not my tail light. I have a post facelift Coupe with stock xenon projector headlights.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #9
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanZHP View Post
The issue is with my passenger side headlight, not my tail light. I have a post facelift Coupe with stock xenon projector headlights.
If its just one headlight then it is a different problem then the thread I posted.
If it is both headlights flickering then it is probably the ground in the tail lights.
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #10
cleanZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
If its just one headlight then it is a different problem then the thread I posted.

If it is both headlights flickering then it is probably the ground in the tail lights.

Oh okay, i guess the searching continues then. Thanks anyways
Old 07-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #11
cs33988

My Ride: 2005 325ci
UPDATE:

I thought I would bypass this whole issue by purchasing the Umnitza Projector46's. My intention was to do a complete swap. Get rid of the old headlights and swap in the new ones. I put the P46s in and the angel eyes look great BUT the driver headlight doesnt work now :/ So I used my thinking brain and did the following:

1. Switched the ballasts provided with the P46s: Passenger headlight still on, Driver headlight still off. This tells me that both ballasts are good
2. Completely switched the headlights. Driver side on passenger, Passenger side on driver: Driver headlight wired to passenger works, passenger headlight wired to driver side does not. This tells me that the headlights are in fact operational.
3. Put the driver side headlight back on the driver side. Didnt hook up the passenger side at all. Driver headlight works (turns on) but the indicator in the dash still says that it is out
4. Un hooked the driver side headlight and just put on the passenger headlight. Passenger side works fine.
5. Thought that maybe the draw was too much for my 5 year old battery. Switched the battery, no luck.

Summary: I think that I might have an issue getting the correct voltage/current to the driver headlight. This is odd because this was the headlight that was working when I had BMW OEM headlights. Perhaps the draw of both is too much? I am open to any and all suggestions! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cs33988; 07-24-2016 at 05:49 PM.
cs33988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
Zorro SN

My Ride: 330Ci
Curious, did you get a fix to this issue?
Zorro SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:38 AM   #13
Anubys

My Ride: 2004 IR ZHP
Also curious if you ever found a fix for this issue

2004 330i ZHP
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote