M1 Garand - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2016, 01:04 AM   #1
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
M1 Garand

I've been thinking of getting one. I've watched a few videos about them but maybe someone can give me other advice on what to look for? I guess the barrels will blow up? What's the best model for recreational shooting?

Old 12-17-2016, 01:56 AM   #2
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
It was my favorite gun in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. A true one-shot kill in the upper torso or head. In COD2, not so much; I preferred the bolt action Kar98k. Quick iron-sighting the enemy has never been more enjoyable. However I longed for the iconic "PING!" sound as an M1 Garand clip reaches its final round. A sound ingrained in the minds of World War II veterans, forever haunted by their horrific experiences in the battlefield.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:23 AM   #3
billgough

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
I've never heard of the barrels blowing up, the problem with off the shelf commercial ammo is its more powerful than the standard .30 Cal ball ammo of the military, and will bend the operating rod if it's used.

They make a good solution to the problem though, an adjustable gas system

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod20456.aspx

If you are looking at garands, your biggest problems are availability and or price. If you find one for cheap, it's going to be a project. If you find one you like, the price will usually be high.

If you can, bring a 308 caliber bullet or cartridge with you and check the muzzle wear at the end of the barrel. If that bullet goes all the way in, the price better be cheap, because you will be rebarreling the gun.

Btw, nothing wrong with a project gun, a new stock, reparkerize, and new barrel will probably still be cheaper than some of the collectible ones.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by billgough; 12-17-2016 at 03:25 AM.
billgough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #4
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
In the spirit of your new leaders, why not go with a Mosin-Nagant? Can be had for about $300 and skookum as fvck. If you have a Garand budget, you could easily get a PU sniper version.

Of course, there is always that 'ping'....
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

As for ammo, the Garand is popular enough that they make 'special' ammo for it off the shelf if you don't reload. http://www.ammogarand.com/ammo.html is one place, but after the 23rd, they won't ship to CA anymore.

As to what exactly to look for,
http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=11660

Or go full modern:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand-Rifles.aspx

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #5
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon, E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
In the spirit of your new leaders, why not go with a Mosin-Nagant? Can be had for about $300 and skookum as fvck. If you have a Garand budget, you could easily get a PU sniper version.
What's the chooch factor?
Old 12-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
GasKing
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1990 Yugo GVC
M1 Garand

I have a CMP service grade and CMP special grade. Love them, haven't touched them in awhile. Kind of expensive to shoot, nothing you can't handle though.

Last edited by GasKing; 12-17-2016 at 07:35 AM.
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
rover220

My Ride: E61 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I have a CMP service grade and CMP special grade. Love them, haven't touched them in awhile. Kind of expensive to shoot, nothing you can't handle though.

Keep that in the trunk of your Grand National?
rover220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:32 AM   #8
GasKing
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover220 View Post
Keep that in the trunk of your Grand National?

Yep.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #9
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 335d
Quote:
Pics?

Present
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Hobohunter

My Ride: 2017 Focus
I haven't heard of the barrels blowing up, you just need to make sure you shoot the right ammo. I have a '46 Garand and I reload my own ammo. I stick to the lower end of the reloading guide for the gun and use the right grain bullets. Definitely my favorite gun, well worth the buy.
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #11
GasKing
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
It was my favorite gun in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. A true one-shot kill in the upper torso or head. In COD2, not so much; I preferred the bolt action Kar98k. Quick iron-sighting the enemy has never been more enjoyable. However I longed for the iconic "PING!" sound as an M1 Garand clip reaches its final round. A sound ingrained in the minds of World War II veterans, forever haunted by their horrific experiences in the battlefield.

Real talk, I was shooting an ak at the range next to this old Vietnam vet. The guy looked all hot and bothered the whole time and when I asked him whats wrong he said "the sound of an AK still bothers me today". The guy was having a PTDSD breakdown from the AK.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #12
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Quote:
Real talk, I was shooting an ak at the range next to this old Vietnam vet. The guy looked all hot and bothered the whole time and when I asked him whats wrong he said "the sound of an AK still bothers me today". The guy was having a PTDSD breakdown from the AK.

You sure he wasn't having a breakdown from you, brah?
Old 12-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #13
GasKing
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
You sure he wasn't having a breakdown from you, brah?
Maybe if he knew I was a muslim lol.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
rover220

My Ride: E61 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobohunter View Post
I haven't heard of the barrels blowing up, you just need to make sure you shoot the right ammo. I have a '46 Garand and I reload my own ammo. I stick to the lower end of the reloading guide for the gun and use the right grain bullets. Definitely my favorite gun, well worth the buy.

Do you use it for anything related to your user name perhaps?
rover220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #15
Hobohunter

My Ride: 2017 Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover220 View Post
Do you use it for anything related to your user name perhaps?
Nah, too bulky for your average hobohunt. It's a bit unwieldly for carrying around in a city.
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #16
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
OP if you want an M1 Garand get one from the CMP when they start accepting orders again. It will be the best bang for your buck hands down vs trying to get it somewhere else. I got a service grade m1 garand from them and love it. If you plan on shooting it a lot I would spend more money on a nicer grade level as the parts will have more life in them. If you just want it to hang on your wall get a field/rack grade as they are cheaper.

I love my m1 garand it is my favorite long rifle to shoot and I got lucky to get a 1945 springfield armory one. In regards to ammo get the replacement variable gas cylinder plug if you want to shoot modern 30-06 loads so you dont damage the gun, or get garand safe 30-06 ammo. Personally I buy garand safe 30-06 ammo from CMP in bulk.

Unfortunately the vast majority of the CMP garands shipping will be korea era made or refurb. If you really want a pre ww2 or ww2 period garand that is all original be prepared to spend over 1k dollars somewhere else or check the CMP auction site. Good luck
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #17
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Thanks all the feedback, and Bucifer for the links, good reading. I would prefer to have a WII/pre-WII version for the collectible value. There is a garand for sale (sort of) near to me in the 1.1mil serial number mark and purchased from CMP going for $1200. I have no idea what grade it is.

I'm feeling impulsive but I think I'll do a lot of reading before purchasing something.

Last edited by BreakfastBurrito; 12-17-2016 at 07:58 PM.
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:33 AM   #18
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
No you don't.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote