E46 318i M43 - MAF issues - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
rako92

My Ride: E46 318i M43
E46 318i M43 - MAF issues

Hi all,

I have E46 318i M43 (2000) with a faulty MAF sensor. I purchased a second hand one - BOSCH ending 262062, from a 320d car, only the sensor that I put inside my plastic housing. The issues of my MAF were low RPM at idle (~500), the cruise control did not work, slow acceleration compared to an identical E46, etc.

When I started the car for the first time it did not want to stay on at all, within 2 seconds the engine stops. I read in another forum that in this case I need to 'calibrate' it, by pumping the gas pedal numerous times, at different RPMs. After about 5 mins of this exercise, I depressed the gas pedal and the car stayed on, at about 800 RPM, which was great. I started driving it slowly on the nearby roads, gradually speeding up, changing gears, etc. Within 3-4km it was driving fine all the way up to 4k RPM. So I parked it in the garade last night. The cruise was working perfectly, the car was much more responsive and the acceleration was not as poor as before...

This morning I was going to work and started the car. It was pretty much the same as yesterday evening, as if I did not do any calibration... Except that the engine did not stop this time, but it was really really hard to get it moving, so I did the same exercise again, until I drove away fine. When I finished work - guess what, the same situation... About 5 mins pumping, then driving away, but this time the Check Engine light came up, my tool showed P0171 fault...

I parked the car in front of the house, started INPA to see the values. The Mass Air value was around 8,50kgh in idle, which I think is very low. I took out the plug of the MAF and guess what - the same readings in INPA. So with or without the new MAF, the readings are the same. However, with my old MAF the RPM at idle and acceleration were poor, the cruise control did not work at all. With the new one on or without any MAF, the car worked pretty well.

I am really confused now. Any ideas would be appreciated. The fact that you read that all is also appreciated :-)

Part #s: Old one is F00C 2G2 008, the replacement one I got from the 320d is F00C 262 062.

Last edited by rako92; 12-19-2016 at 04:16 PM.
rako92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
318i, e46, m43, maf