Fuel Pump Keeps Running - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
XLAWN4SR

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3
Fuel Pump Keeps Running

Let me first lay the ground work.

I purchased my 05 E46 M3 in Nov of 2016 and the car had been sitting for several months and the battery was dead and needed replacing. I made two bone head mistakes that Iím embarrassed to admit. I connected the jumper cables to the battery in the trunk (not under the hood) and hooked the cables up backwards (red to black and black to red), I know what a bone head!

After realizing my bone head mistake the damage was done. I disconnected the cables, then waited a few minutes, connected the cables correctly and the car would turn over but not start. I searched the fuse box and I replaced the #20 fuse, a 20A fuel pump fuse as it was tripped. After doing this, I was able to jump start the car (while still jumping the car incorrectly). After returning home with the new battery installed, I turned the car off and noticed the fuel pump continued to run (the car fan fine). I now must either remove the negative battery terminal connection or pull the #20 fuse in the glove box to make the fuel pump stop.
I then opened the fuse box/relay box under the hood on the driverís side. I removed the block of five fuses and checked the center one, a 20A fuse as research lent me to believe it maybe the issue. The fuse did look a little burnt but after testing it the fuse was fine, I replaced it just to be safe.

Iím thinking maybe I should replace the fuel pump relay next, any thoughts?
XLAWN4SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
XLAWN4SR

Update, I did run a check for codes with the ODB II scanner and found nothing?
Old 05-08-2017, 04:27 AM   #3
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
yep i'd switch it out with the horn relay next to it. very easy to do and troubleshoot. start with the easiest and move down the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
XLAWN4SR

My research lead me to believe the M3 coupe's fuel pump relay was in the trunk on the passenger side near the strut tower, is there more than one?
Old 05-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
XLAWN4SR

Ordered a fuel pump relay from ESC Tuning and it did the trick.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLAWN4SR View Post
Ordered a fuel pump relay from ECS Tuning and it did the trick.

Tags
fuel pump, fuel pump relay