My AC isn't cold - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
Mailbox7

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
My AC isn't cold

Hello! So my AC in my car simply isn't cold. The compressor is on, the climate control is on 3 blue dots and my mechanic states that the pressures are fine (40-45psi low, and 240 High). So I'm not sure what is going on and it is beginning to get really hot out so I want to get this fixed asap and hopefully it's not expensive. Maybe a blend door is sticking? Again, compressor kicks on with no problem. Let me know! Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mailbox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The first step is to determine the temperature of the air coming from the dash vents. A simple digital temp gauge will work.

Let's assume that the temp is indeed higher than it should be. The next step is to determine if the heater control valve is allowing hot coolant into the heater core in the dash. The valve is located on the intake side of the engine compartment on the inner fender. There are 3 hoses on the valve. The one going into the passenger compartment must be cold. If it's not the heater control valve is suspect.

A bit of info: The heater core and the AC evaporator are stacked on top of each other. The air flow is through the heater core and then through the AC evaporator. Why? The automatic climate control (IHKA) in the dash gets temperature data from a sensor on the AC evaporator. When that temperature is too low the IHKA allows coolant to flow through the heater core to prevent the AC evaporator from freezing. The IHKA does this by pulsing voltage to the heater control valve. This valve is open unless it's getting 12VDC.
markusmarkus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Alvinized52

My Ride: E46 323ci / F82 M4
I had a similar intermittent symptom. Also my signal lights would stop working and other weird electrical things would stop working intermittently. My BMW mechanic could not figure it out. Then Finally my instrument cluster completely went out.... so i bought a used one for parts to get the cluster fixed. All of a sudden everything was working perfectly... including the AC. Yeah... I know.

So It could be your instrument cluster...

Follow me on Instagram: @Ste4lthedF82
Alvinized52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
Starvega

My Ride: 323i
If the compressor is working and the pressures are correct, which you're saying they are, then it has to be the blend door.
The other thing you might check is that it's actually refrigerant in the lines and not hot air. My car does this every few years, it'll blow warm air and the lines are pressurized with air. Probably a leak somewhere but it takes like 4 years for it to leak out so I'm not fixing it lol
Starvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Have it looked at by a pro tech.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Mailbox7

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
Okay so today I turned my AC on full blast and the driver side was not cold but cooler while I was driving, and the passenger side was warm? Does this help steer anyone towards other things? Let me know thank you for all the answers

Mailbox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
You might have debris in front of the condenser. Clean it out. You have an air flow problem likely. Also make sure your fans are working.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
The first step is to determine the temperature of the air coming from the dash vents. A simple digital temp gauge will work.

Let's assume that the temp is indeed higher than it should be. The next step is to determine if the heater control valve is allowing hot coolant into the heater core in the dash. The valve is located on the intake side of the engine compartment on the inner fender. There are 3 hoses on the valve. The one going into the passenger compartment must be cold. If it's not the heater control valve is suspect.

A bit of info: The heater core and the AC evaporator are stacked on top of each other. The air flow is through the heater core and then through the AC evaporator. Why? The automatic climate control (IHKA) in the dash gets temperature data from a sensor on the AC evaporator. When that temperature is too low the IHKA allows coolant to flow through the heater core to prevent the AC evaporator from freezing. The IHKA does this by pulsing voltage to the heater control valve. This valve is open unless it's getting 12VDC.

Are you talking about a ship or an E46?!? Sounds more like an M class star freighter.

That is one awesome description of how that system works.

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox7 View Post
Hello! So my AC in my car simply isn't cold. The compressor is on, the climate control is on 3 blue dots and my mechanic states that the pressures are fine (40-45psi low, and 240 High). So I'm not sure what is going on and it is beginning to get really hot out so I want to get this fixed asap and hopefully it's not expensive. Maybe a blend door is sticking? Again, compressor kicks on with no problem. Let me know! Thanks !

I just checked my pressures and they're ~ 20 psi on the low end.

It's 108 today.

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote