K & N Cold Air Intake System - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 12:31 AM   #1
bmw325m3blu

My Ride: 2002 BMW325i
K & N Cold Air Intake System

Hello E46Fanatics! Does anyone know any good Cold Air Intake Systems for

a 2002 BMW 325i? Has anyone installed a K & N Cold Air Intake System on a

2002 325i E46? If so what model? I have seen a K & N Cold Air Intake

System Model #57-1001. It's a little confusing. Website say's this model will

fit BMW 3 Series E46. Went to Auto Zone to purchase kit, they stated it

it would not fit BMW 2002 325i E46. Unable to reach K & N tech on

phone regarding this. Any help would be much appreciated.
bmw325m3blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:33 AM   #2
alcarazdiego10

My Ride: 2003 325i m56
There few of them price from 200-400

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
alcarazdiego10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:22 AM   #3
Pro325ie46

My Ride: 2004 BMW E46 325xi
But why get rid of your stock cold air intake? Also, k&n 57-1001 is not a cold air intake. Its a short ram intake aka hot air intake.
Pro325ie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:25 AM   #4
Pro325ie46

My Ride: 2004 BMW E46 325xi
If i was you i would get a Dinan D760-0007. About $40 cheaper and way better than that k&n piece of sh*t.
Pro325ie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Don't waste your time and money. The factory intake is fine. You won't gain anything by installing an aftermarket air intake.
markusmarkus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:38 AM   #6
bmw325m3blu

My Ride: 2002 BMW325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro325ie46 View Post
But why get rid of your stock cold air intake? Also, k&n 57-1001 is not a cold air intake. Its a short ram intake aka hot air intake.
To gain more horsepower.
bmw325m3blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
Alvinized52

My Ride: E46 323ci / F82 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325m3blu View Post
To gain more horsepower.
Thats a marketing myth!

Follow me on Instagram: @Ste4lthedF82
Alvinized52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325m3blu View Post
To gain more horsepower.

Get a K&N filter for the factory cold air intake. My intake and manifold temps stay within 20* over ambient using the stock box.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
bendoscopy

My Ride: 02 320Ci (M54 2.2)
From the few track/dyno videos I've seen, BMW's stock air intake outperforms a K&N kit. Mostly due to heat soak.

If you want to do a cold air intake, try something like the video below. But again, the benefits are negligible, unless you are just looking for a throatier sound.

bendoscopy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #10
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Yep. Waste of money. You will actually lose power in daily driving situations.

Save your money, or use it on maintenance instead.

Stock intake produces more power.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #11
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
Yep. Waste of money. You will actually lose power in daily driving situations.

Save your money, or use it on maintenance instead.

Stock intake produces more power.
How dare you, sir. You've taken away this gentleman's joie de vivre.

Seriously, though--don't buy a cold air intake. They're stupid, and almost all of them will rob your engine of power. Some due to bad design, some due to interfering with the MAF reading.

If you really insist on wasting money, buy the BMW Performance intake. It's around $1000, last I checked. But it's guaranteed to not cause any problems.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Glad people are thinking straight these days! I rarely have to type anymore!

Back in the day I was one of the very few (if not the only) fighting intakes. The flak I got for suggesting you'd even lose power. Go check out the old threads. Yikes!

But yup as said, no intakes! Waste of money. The stock one IS the upgrade!
Old 06-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
generalvp

My Ride: 05 330ci
What about the Dinan intake?
generalvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
As usual, just SO much misinformation regarding cold air intakes. Despite their names, they do NOT make power from sucking in cold air. They make it by sucking in your money (j/k). Cold air intakes make power through resonance tuning, just like a header. That said, without dyno proof, I'd not trust any CAI for our cars. Given the variable intake length due to the DISA valve, I think the equation is a little more complicated. Keep in mind, just because one brand does or does not make power, it doesn't mean the same holds true for other brands.

That said, I've never heard of anyone with any make of car making more power with a K&N CAI.

I personally would not install one in one of my cars again. They make a LOT of noise when driven spiritedly. They also turn your car into a 200hp shop vac. You have to be super careful driving through water of any depth, lest you suck water into your engine and hydrolock it. I've had more than a couple friends have this happen. I suppose if I were building another cost no object NA engine, I'd probably pursue it, but I'm not likely to do that again either. Forced induction is far more cost effective.

I think I've heard the Dinan has been proven on a dyno to make a little hp.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #15
Mango
e46mango.com

If your car does happen to make HP with a higher quality aftermarket intake, it will be negligible at best, AND in high RPM while taking away from low rpm. In other words, it'll shift power to where you likely won't use it (assuming you do make more power). It also might maximize gains on one particular small spot and drop flat overall, if averaged out. In other words, don't expect miracles. The story is a bit different on an engine that demands more air. Like S54. And only then you're talking mostly high end designs.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #16
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
OK, here is a much more informed post on the subject:

Quote:
Misinformation here regarding intakes.

Short ram = heatsoak, loss of power, damaged MAF (if over oiled) and more induction noise.

Long tube true CAI (one that goes down into the brake duct = power, very loud induction noise, smoother...less turbulent airflow that can be accurately metered by MAF.

My dinan CAI made 8-10whp on the dyno (on a modified engine, headers/exhaust/tune help it breathe requiring mor air. A stock engine probly will see maybe 2 hp or just more responsiveness.

the stock air box is better than a short ram intake though.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...9&postcount=34

As this poster mentioned, gains will depend upon other mods. An engine is essentially a big air pump and if you don't optimize both ends, gains may be limited. For sure our stock exhaust manifolds are not very effective at scavenging. Just keep in mind that to install most headers involves removing the cats which presents other issues, including polluting which is irresponsible.

[edit] Full thread here:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...an+cai+hp+dyno

Always helps to search. This subject has been beat to death, and largely by people with little to no knowledge of the subject matter, but if you search you can find good information. In this case, someone who has backed up the results with dyno testing.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Last edited by Geo31; 06-19-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #17
generalvp

My Ride: 05 330ci
Reason I asked about the Dinan intake is that I have one and it's essentially using the stock airbox, plus an extra tube routed to the left brake duct for more air. It does make extra noise but my butt dyno can't tell the difference. Money down the drain I supposed. but I do like the look in the engine bay.
generalvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #18
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
My only problem with the Dinan intake is the oiled filter. It's been proven beyond any hint of doubt that oiled filters do poorly compared to the standard cellulose filters. You can find the various comparisons online. Over time I've started to realize just how important air filtration is for the engine.

The cellulose filter is the main reason I like the BMW performance intake so much.

Last edited by lingon300k; 06-19-2017 at 12:47 PM.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #19
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Don't waste your time and money. The factory intake is fine. You won't gain anything by installing an aftermarket air intake.
sorry this is false. factory intake is a compromise of sound muffler, filter media, environment, cost.

even BMW's own aftermarket intake is published by BMW as making more power and torque.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #20
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
sorry this is false. factory intake is a compromise of sound muffler, filter media, environment, cost.

even BMW's own aftermarket intake is published by BMW as making more power and torque.
If you wanted to get "technical" for the sole sake of being correct, then sure I guess you may have a point.

Some airboxes could give you gains, in the same way as simply waiting an hour between dyno pulls could technically give you gains.

Yes, BMW could technically be correct by advertising gains with their intake, but you might compromise by losing power and torque elsewhere. Overall I'd bet the BMW intake does give gains, on average, all over the spectrum--but very small. The meaningful benefit you'd get from such a product would be a nice sporty sound and not necessarily the power. Even then, such a power gain would be imperceptible by feel as it doesn't go anywhere near the threshold needed to feel it at the seat of the pants.