Cooling issues. Can't figure out what the hell is going on - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 AM   #1
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
Cooling issues. Can't figure out what the hell is going on

2002 E46 Touring with 152k on it. Shortly after buying the car the water pump pulley went out so I replaced the water pump and pulley. Other than that I've done expansion tank, upper and lower hoses. Within the past year I started off with a slow coolant leak. Around once every two months I'd get the light telling me low coolant. Eventually it started to become more frequent and now I'm getting it every two days or so. I've been putting water in since at that rate coolant is getting pricey. Yesterday I went out for a drive and got the light. Put some water in and continued on. On my way back I get the light again. Put more water in but about a mile later light comes on again. Couldn't pull over. But then it turns off. It kept doing this. So when I reached home I pop the hood and found one issue. A high pressure steady stream of steam was shooting out from either the bottom side of the upper hose at the expansion tank or behind it, maybe from the radiator. Topped it off with more water and turned in for the night. Today I check the water and it looks fine. Get on the highway to drive about 8 miles away. Coming up to my exit, my temp guage was almost in the red but no light for low coolant. I pull over and pop the hood and steam is shooting out from the same location. I loosened the bleed screw and it was shooting out pressure for a long time. Waited till it stopped, opened expansion tank cap and put water in. But now it fills up then slowly starts going down. Kept filling and it kept going down. Now from the beginning of my cooling issue, I never have seen any water/coolant on the ground. So I kept filling until it held the water to the full position in the expansion tank. Figuring it might be a lot of air in the system, I started the car and loosened the bleed screw half way and nothing was coming out. Cut off the car, removed tank cap and started the car. Level was all the way low and the float/rod was bouncing and knocking around, making me think that the water pump is working. Filled it up again, it held it, started the car and opened the bleed screw and it started bleeding the water out like a fountain. Closed it, put some more water in, start the car and opened bleed screw again and nothing is coming out. I then revved the car to about 2500 rpm and that's when water started coming out the bleed screw. I just tightened it back up and drove it home. Temp stayed where it's supposed to be but I popped the hood and I can hear it under pressure near the expansion tank. Looked under the car and it had spewed out a bunch of water. Put more water in and opened the bleed screw and again nothing coming out. I checked all the known places that's common for an E46 to leak and all looks dry. I checked the lower hose, temp sensor, thermostat, upper hose, expansion tank, and what I can see of the radiator. Oil looks fresh, no milkiness. There's no white smoke coming out the tail pipe. And again as I put water in, it slowly goes down. Say about 20 seconds from full to disappearing in the tank. And besides the water spewing on the ground when I got home, there's never been any other sign of leaks. This is driving me crazy. Could it be the head gasket? Or hopefully the radiator.
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #2
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i, '99 328is
Oh man...did not read...too long and no paragraph breaks!

I don't mean to be an Internet Forum Formatting Nazi here...just trying to point out why no one has responded.

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny/differential service, fuel pump, filter, and relay. Full front end refresh with LCAs and bushings, struts and mounts, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar endlinks and bushings.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The upper hose connection on the radiator is a weak point in the radiator. I suggest you replace the radiator before you toast the engine.
markusmarkus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 300K miles
Find your leak. Don't assume because you did the ET already that it didn't burst again because of another issue.

I read enough to know you have a leak somewhere...and I wouldn't worry about a head gasket quite yet.

Markus is right, though, at 150K if your radiator hasn't leaked yet, it will. I'm on my third. But, do the rest while you're there. See Mango's cooling thread at the top of the General Forum. Read it until you feel cold inside...then you'll be ready to do what you need to do.

Also, I always lick a drop of coolant before working on that system...little ritual of mine. Taste the fluid of the system I'm working on. Odd...but it works for most here.

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
Linx

Yes I've read Mango's sticky but still can't determine my problem. And sorry for not making my post in paragraphs, yes that would of made it easier. One thing I did forget to mention that might matter or might not. When I fill the expansion tank with water it still looks green from the coolant that was in it before. I would imagine with the amount of water I've put in, since I've been using water, the old coolant should of been flushed out by now.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
Starvega

My Ride: 323i
1. Water will boil and evaporate when used alone in a cooling system. That's half your problem.
2. You need to fill it up with the heat on full blast so the heater valve opens up and flows through the core.
3. You have a leak obvious enough that you can see the level dropping, it really shouldn't be hard to find. Did you check the hard pipes under the intake? Maybe put some dye in it and check for leaks with a black light at night.
Starvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
Linx

Starvega no I didn't check the hard lines. Are these viewable from the top or bottom of car or do I have to remove things to check them?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #8
Starvega

My Ride: 323i
You can't really see them, just try to look for coolant puddled beneath the intake.
Starvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Linx

Ok, I did look around there but didn't notice anything. My next step is to do a pressure test. Was going to this past weekend but really didn't feel like laying under the car while the temp outside was 99
Old 06-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
Linx

BTW, does anyone know how much pressure I need to set it to while doing a pressure test? I replaced the expansion tank cap and I don't see the pressure printed on it anywhere
Old 06-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Find your leak. Don't assume because you did the ET already that it didn't burst again because of another issue.

I read enough to know you have a leak somewhere...and I wouldn't worry about a head gasket quite yet.

Markus is right, though, at 150K if your radiator hasn't leaked yet, it will. I'm on my third. But, do the rest while you're there. See Mango's cooling thread at the top of the General Forum. Read it until you feel cold inside...then you'll be ready to do what you need to do.

Also, I always lick a drop of coolant before working on that system...little ritual of mine. Taste the fluid of the system I'm working on. Odd...but it works for most here.
+1

However, I'm at 172k miles and original radiator. All hoses and o-rings have been replaced though. To me your problem sounds like o-ring related since there are no obvious signs of leakage. You can find the part numbers in this section and order them. Just do a search.

And in case you didn't know: a little silicone grease on the o-rings helps the hoses go back together.

Edit: so I read you got steam from the top hose? I replaced the plastic nipple where the top hose connects to the radiator. It had deteriorated inside and the o-ring could no longer seal properly.

I believe it's part #1 in this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0145

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.

Last edited by swordsman11868; 06-19-2017 at 12:21 PM.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
pgib8

My Ride: e46
i couldn't read your whole post because it was hurting my eyes. instead go ahead and read my post(s) and see if that sounds like you: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1128706
pgib8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
BTW, does anyone know how much pressure I need to set it to while doing a pressure test? I replaced the expansion tank cap and I don't see the pressure printed on it anywhere
The stock coolant cap is rated at 2.0 bar, but many use a 1.4 bar or lower.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ap-17111742231

Last edited by BaliDawg; 06-19-2017 at 12:23 PM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #14
Linx

Pgib8 yes there is a lot of similarities here. I haven't got a chance to finish reading the whole thing as I'm at work right now. I got a little past where you gave the compression readings.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #15
pgib8

My Ride: e46
ok, well if it's the same thing, keep your rpms low, try not to drive faster than 50mph because in my case that produced much less gasses and i was able to go longer before the low coolant light came on.
pgib8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #16
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
You definitely have a leak, but opening the bleed screw while the car is running is not how you bleed these things. Steam in the system doesn't cool anything, maybe if your car is parked in a field of four leaf clovers your head gasket is ok, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #17
Linx

Yeah I changed the et a long time ago and bled it correctly then. Just forgot the procedure when I was getting to do it yesterday. I'll try the correct way tonight, though I know my problem is more than bleeding the system
Old 06-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #18
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Do a cooling system pressure test.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #19
Suryateja

My Ride: 325 CI
I had the same problem. Your upper radiator hose is bad. The o-ring does not always seat properly. Get a new upper hose and your set.
Suryateja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #20
Linx

Suryateja I'm hoping you're correct. Because when I did the et I purchased a new aftermarket upper radiator hose. But the end that connects to the radiator wouldn't fit all the way in. So at the time I used my old hose.
About a year later, while driving, I notice steam coming from under my hood. Pull over and find out the head of the plastic bleed screw somehow broke off and there was a tiny hole the coolant was squirting out of. Mind you the bleed screw was new from when I did the et.
Anyways, I happened to have that aftermarket hose in my trunk. It was my only option since I couldn't get what was left of the screw out. When putting on the hose I had to really fight it to get it on. It's been working all this time. When I started having my current problem I would frequently check around that hose and stick my finger on the bottom side of it to see if I can feel any dripping.
Once I figure out my issue I'm going to also replace my radiator and hose. But if it is the hose, as you say, why would my coolant level go all the way down around 20 seconds after filling?