door locks are crazy - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2003, 08:10 PM   #1
MIAMITOPAZ

My Ride: Rieger323CI
Send a message via Yahoo to MIAMITOPAZ
door locks are crazy

I've had this problem for over a year now and i cant take it anymore.

when i walk up to my car and remote unlock it i hear a click but nothing opens... ok i use the key i get in no problem. I go to open the passenger door, i pull the handle nothing happens. I push the unlock button, click, click and nothin happens. If a passenger wants to get in... guess what, they have to jump over my seat to get.

This problem happens to me about 50/50 of time i use my car and its getting to be really annoying.

I take it to the dealer and they work fine-- they think im crazy-
someone told me it might be the accuators and that if one is bad it fools the other one, is that true?i've noticed the car thinks that i have open it so my gas tank stays lock and i have to use the emergency release in the trunk too--this sux

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:52 AM   #2
MIAMITOPAZ

i had to re-phrase what i wrote yesterday

i meant to say when i press the unlock, the car clicks but the actual locks dont release including the gas door, meaning the car thinks i havent unlocked it yet.

could it be 1 main trigger in the car is keeping the whole car from unlocking?
could it be that its stuck, or its defective, remember this happens to me half the time. so if something is broken shouldnt it stay broken and not just work when ever it feels like it?

i dont know what that bad part could be

help plz
Old 09-24-2003, 07:54 AM   #3
Tommy_hf

My Ride: '03 ci
miamitopaz,
I have the same problem, but just a bit less often than you. I took it to the dealer and they found the central locking computer at fault. It sent varying voltages to the doorlocks, sometimes too little , causing the doors to stay shut whil you can hear a click.
It's an expensive sucker though... 350-400 bucks.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:51 AM   #4
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
yeah expensive which means it will be hard to get replaced.

If you have a responsible service department who cares about your safety and the possibility of god forbid you getting in an accident and getting locked in your car, then they will replace it. If you have a greedy one who looks out for the BMW bonus for not repairing items under warranty, you have a uphil battle.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy_hf
miamitopaz,
I have the same problem, but just a bit less often than you. I took it to the dealer and they found the central locking computer at fault. It sent varying voltages to the doorlocks, sometimes too little , causing the doors to stay shut whil you can hear a click.
It's an expensive sucker though... 350-400 bucks.
KevinJ_2k1_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 08:29 AM   #5
MIAMITOPAZ

Unfortunatly i've been out of warranty for some time. i took the extended warranty at the dealer (which has never covered anything btw) its not bmws'.

questions is = I've been reprting this problem since i had warranty but they never figured out what is was, since they have the complain in record does that help me in any way?

or the complain doesnt hold anything once the (original)warranty is over?

-----------------------------------------------
if someone doenst pick up this question on this thread i'll probably post this ques. on a new one - sounds like someone might have been thru this kind of warrant issue before.

help me if you know anything-- thanx
Old 09-25-2003, 10:37 AM   #6
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
you should go back to the dealer and

tell them about the central locking system is out of wack. say
you have been in while you were under warrenty. that they didn't look into this possiablity. see if they will check it out for you. give your car advisor a 10.00 spot. that makes very thing work smooter. see what they say can't hurt to try.
bobm3
Old 09-25-2003, 10:43 AM   #7
gmhl10
Resident CF Whore

My Ride: '05 A08 M3
Send a message via AIM to gmhl10 Send a message via MSN to gmhl10
Damn...
I got my 2002 325i brand new from the dealer and I have this problem too!
I'm afraid that if I take my car in about it, they will blame my aftermarket alarm system on the electrical problem.
However, my friend has the same problem on his 2002 325i, and he has all the OEM electronic equipment...
Maybe we should go together one day. :tongue:

gmhl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:33 AM   #8
BMWNA
BMW NA Customer Relations

My Ride: BMW
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon, or if you prefer, you can call us at 800-831-1117.

BMW NA Customer Relations
BMWNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:58 AM   #9
MIAMITOPAZ

GREAT
Old 09-30-2003, 12:42 PM   #10
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Man,

I have the same problem. It is not 50/50% though. It is more like 33% of the time. I went to my dealer and told them about the problem and they think I was CRAZY and/or STUPID.

The service rep was trying to show me how to operate the unlock/lock door features on my car and remote. I was mad that they though that I was THAT dumb.

Anyhow, I finally convinced him to take a look at my car. He came back and said, "Sorry nothing on the fault codes and therefore there is not a problem." He said this while implying that the problem was all in my mind. I was mad!!!!

Anyhow, I am glad that I am not the only with this problem
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 01:13 PM   #11
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
dude...

we're having the same problem all around the world..

my car too refuse to get opened with remote...(but lock are ok as the alarm)

dealer said (after using with modic) that the problem is the key...(in fact he tried to re-initialize it, but with no succes)

why this is happening ???? i didn't saw any "best before..." in the back of the key....

and I can't give the fault to the b.shop that let the battery out of charge for 2 days.........
Old 09-30-2003, 02:33 PM   #12
JRobUSC

My Ride: 2005 X5 4.4i
Send a message via AIM to JRobUSC
I had that happen to me, dealer replaced the actuators under warranty.

Haven't had the problem since, though the driver side lock sometimes only opens halfway and you have to hit the unlock button again to get it to work. If it keeps up I'll take it back in again.
Cold Weather Package
Rear Climate Package
Navigation
Premium Sound
Heated Wheel
Park Distance
Xenons
JRobUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 03:22 PM   #13
gokcer

My Ride: 323Ci Sports Package
Since I bought my car, I have the same problem and I cant replicate at the dealer it happens in cold days and after car washes that my key will not LOCK the car. The problem is I always have to visually check if doors are locked since there is no visual indication from a distance.

Everytime I took it to dealer they cant replicate it and now I am coming to end of my warranty. I am afraid it is gonna go kaput and i am gonna have to pay for it.

A

Bright-Red 323ci 5sp. Sports + Premium + Homemade K&N intake box. --> DIY Instructions
Also for single fanatics try My 100% Free dating service - TownsBestSingles.com
New House Tool 4 in 1 Mortgage & Tax Savings Calculator for home buyers
gokcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 03:23 PM   #14
gokcer

My Ride: 323Ci Sports Package
Am I crazy or the BMW NA reply is a little weird? How are they gonna get in touch with you, they don't know who you are!

Bright-Red 323ci 5sp. Sports + Premium + Homemade K&N intake box. --> DIY Instructions
Also for single fanatics try My 100% Free dating service - TownsBestSingles.com
New House Tool 4 in 1 Mortgage & Tax Savings Calculator for home buyers
gokcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 03:32 PM   #15
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
mine's not as bad, but it's still a problem...33% of the time.

passenger locks will sometime not unlock at all. Click once to open my door, it unlocks. Click a second time to open all doors, I have no luck. Then i go inside and hit the unlock button. Nothing. I have to manually open the doors with the handles.

ofcourse, it happens when I'm using the remote. Never happens to my wife, and I'm afraid i'll look like a fool at the dealer as well

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 03:59 PM   #16
agaean325ci

My Ride: 2002 325CI
I had that problem once. The dealer tells me the remote doesn't take batteries. I told them the problem and they told me something about getting the key reprogramed. I have the Keyhole cover sitting in my glove compartment and am afraid to put it on, incase I have this problem again.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:50 PM   #17
e46shift
F22C1

My Ride: '00 c230k & '04
Quote:
Originally posted by gokcer
Am I crazy or the BMW NA reply is a little weird? How are they gonna get in touch with you, they don't know who you are!

Super Soft Rims
e46shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 04:53 PM   #18
Mpowered
Crazy Boy

My Ride: 02 M3
Send a message via AIM to Mpowered
maybe pm?
Old 09-30-2003, 05:16 PM   #19
MIAMITOPAZ

well i figured the same thing, they dont know me all they got is my email.

i took it upon myself to call that number- the lady told me to check first with my dealer since its a technical issue. I said ok, now at least i am better informed (thanx to the fanatics). i believe it IS the central locking system its the only thing that makes sense.

My only issue is that my dealer will think that im the crazy one (again) and not want to take this problem further. i wonder if going to a different dealer would be a good idea.

how ever you put this IS a safety issue. If no one can get out of my car in an emergency it could be fatal.

I'll keep you guys up to date and i hope my dealer will take care of this issue for me. If any of you guys got any suggestions let me know. Wish me luck
Old 10-02-2003, 08:09 PM   #20
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
any updates?
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote