Topped off coolant with a bottle of Aquafina. Any problems with that? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 12:39 AM   #1
B694515

My Ride: 325i
Topped off coolant with a bottle of Aquafina. Any problems with that?

Changed my thermostat last week and added a gallon of coolant. Today checked the coolant level and it was a little low. I didn't have any coolant left and no distilled water so I used a bottle of Aquafina.

The bottle says purified by reverse osmosis. Don't know what that means but do some of these water bottles have minerals or anything like that?

You think 16oz is not a big deal right?
B694515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:39 AM   #2
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Shouldn't be a big deal. About the same as if you had just put in tap water I think.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 AM   #3
Silverdogz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Totally fine. Maybe check the system for leaks tho.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Yea it's not distilled water

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Aquafina is Pepsi's branded water. It is sourced from tap water. I believe they add minerals to it during purification. You'd be better using your own tap water after it's been boiled.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/aquaf...ory?id=3428260
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by B694515 View Post
Changed my thermostat last week and added a gallon of coolant. Today checked the coolant level and it was a little low. I didn't have any coolant left and no distilled water so I used a bottle of Aquafina.

The bottle says purified by reverse osmosis. Don't know what that means but do some of these water bottles have minerals or anything like that?

You think 16oz is not a big deal right?

No issues at all.

A good strategy is to buy two gallons of coolant. The car holds 11 quarts, if empty, and wants a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. You can add a full gallon of coolant, and another gallon of water, this will give you 8 quarts, and odds are that the system isn't empty when you start, so it should be filled with 8 quarts. Now, open the second bottle and pour half of it into the first bottle, then fill both bottles with water to give you two gallons of 50/50. The reason you do this is because straight coolant is actually cheaper than the premix that you get at the store. You now have 8 quarts of 50/50, or very close to it, in the cooling system, and 8 more quarts in jugs on the shelf that you can use to top the system as you need to. Since you have 8 quarts in an 11 quart system, there's a good chance that you might need to top up your cooling system, and you have plenty of pre-mix for the job.

TIP
I like to leave the top hose disconnected from the radiator and pour coolant directly into the engine block through the top hose. Fill until coolant comes out of the inlet where the top hose is supposed to be connected. Coolant will flow into the block, then into the radiator, and into the expansion tank and will eventually spill out, stop pouring when this happens. You will have filled the engine block enough that the process of bleeding the system goes very easily. Coolant flow from the expansion tank into the radiator and then into the engine block is tedious because the hose that passes coolant from the tank to the radiator is very small and you can get the expansion tank filled but the engine block is nearly empty, and bleeding the system is a difficult task.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
B694515

My Ride: 325i
Thanks for the info. Good stuff.

How important is it to add the coolant while the car is on a slight incline? I have a flat driveway and I filled and bled the system properly but after a few days I noticed the level dropped slightly. Would it have been better to fill it while it was inclined?
B694515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
You should always work on your car on a flat surface, but an incline such as exists in a residential driveway (that's not for a house on the side of a hill) should not pose any problems for measuring the contents of any of the various tanks that hold fluids.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote