E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
richardx

My Ride: 2003 330 Ci
Gain Settings for Auxiliary Audio Input on 2003 330Ci w/Nav and iPod

I made an interesting discovery this weekend. I had read a post saying that you could adjust the gain of the auxiliary input by selecting the "SEL" screen when in "AUX" mode. That did nothing for me- but when I push one of the six numbered buttons, I get varying amounts of gain. The code "Px" appears on the display, where "x" corresponds to the number you last pushed. Also, the scrollwheel on my iPod no longer has an effect on the volume. I have a 2003 330 Ci with the navigation system.

I'm having a little trouble figuring out why the scrollwheel initially affected the volume, and doesn't now. I like it better this way, but still. I have the iPod hooked up through the Belkin connector with the line amplifier in the power connector, so I just use the single cable for both audio and power.

By the way, I also bought one of the new iPod mounts from ProClipusa.com. The iPod fits very elegantly into the mount, and there is a ballmount so that you can adjust the angle just like you want it. I got the dashboard mount that attaches, without hardware, to the right of the nav screen. I definitely give it a thumb up, especially compared to the Arkon vent mount I had been using.

Tom
richardx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:04 AM   #2
jjd

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 Cab
If you're using the Belkin adapter, you are getting your sound from the Line Out output of the iPod (as you would through the Dock rather than the headphone jack. The line out is not affected by the volume control, as would be the case with any Stereo component like a home CD player.

I am interested to read your post about adjusting the gain. Were you able to increase it from the setting used when they installed the jack? I find that mine is currently too low so I have to crank up the volume on the headunit. The problem is that the nav voice deafening as a result so i have to turn the Nav voice way down. This means that when I switch to the CD or Radio, the Nav voice is too low...
jjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
richardx

I would have thought the line out would have been unaffected by the iPod volume, but before I played with the numbered buttons, it did change the volume. So I guess I was actually confused with the original condition.

I would guess the default volume would be the "3" setting. I have it set at five right now. I'm still trying to find the right settings so that radio, CD and aux are all balanced, so I don't have to futz with the nav volume when I switch between them. And of course, not all the tracks on the iPod are the same volume- as the levelling option takes far too long during download.

Still, I'm very happy with the current install.

Tom
Old 09-29-2003, 11:23 AM   #4
jjd

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 Cab
I am looking to hard wire mine for power rather than use the Belkin. I have the euro storage box and had the aux in mounted in it. Very neat. I just need the power... I amy try to use the bluetooth phone cabling for power.
jjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:39 AM   #5
richardx

Maybe you could use a dock? Might turn out really cool.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:37 PM   #6
ihaveanevilplan

My Ride: '02 E46 sdn blk/blk
Send a message via AIM to ihaveanevilplan
check out this link. The board has a few people who have integrated the ipod into their car systems, but this one is by far the cleanest and best looking.

http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthr...?threadid=8743

also many people talk about using an FM Modulator instead of the Belkin FM Transmitter because it "feeds the sound into the unit". Can anyone tell me how this is done?
ihaveanevilplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:43 AM   #7
skeemr4

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally posted by jjd
I am looking to hard wire mine for power rather than use the Belkin. I have the euro storage box and had the aux in mounted in it. Very neat. I just need the power... I amy try to use the bluetooth phone cabling for power.
I hardwired mine last weekend...I used the bmwpila to get the aux in capability.

as for power this is what i did...

mine is mounted on my dash, so I tapped into power in the fusebox. I bought a cheap 12v cigarette lighter recepticle thing from walmart and ran it directly to fuse #26 which is a switched 12v power source (garage door opener). Behind the glovebox (if you take the glovebox out) there is a thick brown wire which I used as a ground. I then plugged my belkin charger into the new cig lighter socket, double sided taped everyting up in the glovebox and that was it....My Ipod is powered/charges whenever the car is on.

If you need more details PM me, I can take a few pics if anyone wants...
Old 10-02-2003, 08:50 PM   #8
lonnie_20

My Ride: 2001 Dinan 330ci
Send a message via Yahoo to lonnie_20
can you post some pics or a DYI....would be extremely helpful...thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by skeemr4

I hardwired mine last weekend...I used the bmwpila to get the aux in capability.

as for power this is what i did...

mine is mounted on my dash, so I tapped into power in the fusebox. I bought a cheap 12v cigarette lighter recepticle thing from walmart and ran it directly to fuse #26 which is a switched 12v power source (garage door opener). Behind the glovebox (if you take the glovebox out) there is a thick brown wire which I used as a ground. I then plugged my belkin charger into the new cig lighter socket, double sided taped everyting up in the glovebox and that was it....My Ipod is powered/charges whenever the car is on.

If you need more details PM me, I can take a few pics if anyone wants...
Old 03-24-2004, 09:20 PM   #9
03BMW325CI

My Ride: 2003 325CI
i had the aux input installed yesterday in teh glove box.
i then managed to run the 3.5 jack from the glove box side and run it under the molding all the way inside the euro tray center console.
so inside the tray i know have the 3.5 jack to put into the ipod and i am good.

what i wanna do now is get the belkin auto charger and plug that into the glove bov flashlight adapter using a bmw adapter.
then hook the 3.5 jack inside that and just run the dock connecter like i had done before with the 3.5 jack.

do you think the dock connector is long enough though?

anyone have any other ideas???

03BMW325CI is offline   Reply With Quote