clutch flywhell - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 02:43 AM   #1
glacierXI

My Ride: 330Xi
clutch flywhell

wondering what clutch and flywheel I should get. Can we run the single mass flywheels?
glacierXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #2
Melbowski

My Ride: '03 325Xi
They offer single-mass conversions, but they're not particularly cheap and they are also noisy (they make something in the trans rattle at idle with the clutch out). Are you a 5-speed or 6-speed? You staying OEM power or planning to build? LuK is the OEM supplier and it's what I went with when I swapped in my 6-speed to the 325 with no complaints so far. Their kits include the throw-out bearing as well as the pilot bearing for insanely cheaper than buying from BMW, and you get the exact same parts, even down to the Valeo friction disk. I found RockAuto and Amazon to have the best pricing so I ordered from there. Good luck

'92 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo - 6-Speed Swap/Tein S-Techs/Active Aero Swap/M2 Exhaust/
Forged Internals/Chrome ECU/1000cc Injectors/Supra Pump/Bigger Turbos Soon!

Melbowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
glacierXI

I have a 04 330xi 5 speed. I just watched a pelican video they were talking how the single is better but figured it was diff for the xi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
Renboy

My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
Same for all 5 speed e46's.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
Melbowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
Same for all 5 speed e46's.
All the 5-speeds use the same flywheel, but when shopping remember that the 330Xi uses a different clutch set than the other models. While the flywheel and clutch disk for the 5-speeds are all basically the same, the 330Xi clutch set uses a stronger pressure plate for the additional load of the AWD combined with the 3.0 on the Xi versions.

Be sure to get the correct pressure plate/clutch set for the 330Xi.

'92 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo - 6-Speed Swap/Tein S-Techs/Active Aero Swap/M2 Exhaust/

Old 08-13-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
glacierXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbowski View Post
All the 5-speeds use the same flywheel, but when shopping remember that the 330Xi uses a different clutch set than the other models. While the flywheel and clutch disk for the 5-speeds are all basically the same, the 330Xi clutch set uses a stronger pressure plate for the additional load of the AWD combined with the 3.0 on the Xi versions.

Be sure to get the correct pressure plate/clutch set for the 330Xi.
thanks I think Ill just go with the stock luk dual mass probably but its like 300 bucks more.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:50 AM   #7
SaberLily

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Single mass + unsprung clutch will give horrible rattle. Valeo single mass conversion kit doesn't rattle. Using a lighter flywheel with a sprung clutch kit may cause some rattle, but nothing like an unsprung clutch. I'm not a fan of the dual mass flywheels; added complexity and cost, not worth the benefit.
SaberLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #8
glacierXI

So when doing the clutch do I have to take out the front axles and everything because its awd or does the tranny drop out similar to the other e46s?
Old 09-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
Melbowski

No need to remove any of the axles; both differentials are separate from the trans. It's kind of a pain on the Xi models, but basically: get the car on jack stands, remove exhaust, remove heat shield, remove front and rear drive shafts, remove driver's engine mount and loosen passenger side mount (this will let the engine lean back a bit for better bolt access), drop t-case, disassemble shifter, remove starter, drop trans, replace clutch, and reassemble.

When I did my swap I didn't bother completely removing the drive shafts, I just removed them from the t-case and supported them (my diff bolts were rusty and I didn't want to chance breaking them). You can use a bunch of extensions to get the starter/trans bolts out, but I opted to remove the cabin filter box to remove the starter from the top before removing the engine mount (a 3/8 or proper E-Torx ratcheting wrench on a stick makes removing the starter and top bolts much easier from the top), and if your starter hasn't been replaced yet, now's a great time to do it. Just about everything under there is E-Torx so you'll want to have them ready. If you live in the salt-belt like I do, a torch and PB Blaster will be your best friends, so use them liberally. If your car is quite rusty underneath, it may be a good idea to have a shop do the work as breaking bolts really sucks. (ask me how I know )

I don't know why there are practically no good videos or guides for the Xi when it comes to doing a clutch, but here are some helpful links:

Light Pictoral Guide on the forums

(DO NOT remove the blocking-plate from the pressure plate like he does! It is only to be removed once the clutch is completely assembled/installed! You will Royally F**K your self-adjusting pressure plate and clutch install if you do this improperly!)

To properly install the clutch assembly: Bolt on new flywheel; torque to spec -> remove bolt from end of alignment tool and use alignment tool to put friction disk into place -> place pressure plate onto clutch assembly (DO NOT remove blocking plate yet!) -> bolt on pressure plate; torque to spec -> with clutch assembly fully assembled and torqued to spec you may finally remove the blocking plate -> put bolt back into the end of the alignment tool to pull it out. (This is my recollection, be sure to double-check and follow the service manual.)

As an aside, since you're under there it's a great idea to replace your starter, the driveshaft center support (carrier bearing), inspect/replace the guibo, and change your trans/t-case fluids (Pentosin MTF-LT2 can be ordered at your local O Reilly's). Might as well get them done now so you don't have to rip it apart again in the near future.

Did I mention that it's very important to properly assemble the flywheel and pressure plate? No? Friendly reminder: DO NOT remove the blocking plate from the pressure plate until the clutch is fully assembled and installed! Don't forget to pray to the Bavarian Car Gods that no bolts break, and wear gloves to help limit their lust for blood sacrifice. Hope it all goes smooth for you, and good luck.

Last edited by Melbowski; 09-15-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Clarity; Additional Info
Old 09-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
glacierXI

@Melbowski Thanks so much for the through mini guide maybe I can do this lol.