Prefacelift LED Foglight Bar DIY - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2017, 12:31 AM   #1
YoungBuck4

My Ride: 1999 328i e46
Prefacelift LED Foglight Bar DIY

Like everyone else, I wanted to add LED and HID lights to my car to give the exterior a refresh. I am in the process of installing the Halos and HID projectors and bulbs with the Miromoto kit from The Retro Source. I love the look of the bar style and pre facelift look so I wanted to update my fog lights to match the rest of my lighting but ran into a problem; nobody makes LED fogs for pre facelift cars that are the bar style. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and make custom housings for my LED foglight bars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front b4.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	672793

Name:	Side b4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	672801

I disassembled the OEM foglight assembly and fitted my fog bars into the housing. Fog bars came with brackets that I screwed into the top of the foglight housing.

Name:	Front lense.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	672809

They were a little too long to have them squared forward properly so I cut out a rectangle with my Dremel tool on the lenses so that the individual LED bar could show through.

Name:	Painted Housings.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	474.1 KB
ID:	672817

I sprayed the back of the housing, the reflectors, with black paint to blend into the background and also because they would no longer need to reflect the old halogen bulb.

Name:	Front Finished.JPG
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	672825

I sanded down the lenses so the cuts would be smoother and prepped the lens for painting. Then, I spray painted the lenses filler primer and then a top layer with black Plastidip.

Name:	Sealed.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	672833

I sealed the lenses back to the housing with silicone to secure it and create a seal (doesn't really need the seal because the LED bar is sealed)

Name:	Front nl.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	672841

Name:	Front NL 2.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	672849

Housings reinstalled on my car

Name:	Front Lit.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	672857

Lights on

Overall, I am pleased with the results because it cost me $60 ($50 for Miromoto LED bar and $10 for paint/primer) for led fogs. The light output of these lights are incredible and clear. They are almost too bright so I will stick to using these on the back roads Hopefully in the future I can go back and create a whole new fiberglass housing that looks a little better. I didn't do that in the first place because I am a college student on a budget and live in an apartment where space for crafts are limited.
YoungBuck4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, foglights, led foglights, pre facelift