E46 retro-quik from The Retrofit Source DIY request - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
AvrgeJediMaster

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
E46 retro-quik from The Retrofit Source DIY request

I'm going to be doing this retrofit next weekend, and have been compiling various DIYs from around the various forums. I'd like to put out a request for anyone who's done this recently for tips and tricks, or a redirect to some DIYs that do have photos, since most of the older threads don't have any photos, just instructions. I'll take anything, though I think I've found as much as I can, like the youtube vids and some zhpmafia guides.

And yeah, I know this probably belongs in the lighting forum but that doesn't get as many views as the main forum. Thanks!
AvrgeJediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:50 AM   #2
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
Photobucket really screwed everyone for pictures in diys....
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, poly FCAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap, M56 valve cover

"No, thanks. I'm a vegetarian." Is a fun thing to say when someone hands you their baby.

Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #3
AvrgeJediMaster

Yeah I noticed. Almost anything older than a couple years is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
IIRC it's bolt on.

Remove headlights
Remove lens (front plastic cover) by undoing clips with fingers
Undo headlight adjusters knobs (I think you unscrew them)
Projector housing comes out of headlight housing
Then I think it's like 4 torx fasteners that hold them down and should be direct replacement.

Don't overthink--just do. Some of the simplest headlights out there. Take your time, take pics, and don't fight anything. Be firm but gentle so you don't break stuff.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #5
AvrgeJediMaster

I need to figure out the high beam wiring the most. Especially if I have to solder stuff
Old 08-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
DOT.

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan
Minimal modifications. Did a few of these swaps. Once you have the projector frame out of the housing, you'll have a better idea what to do.

I remember drilling holes through the existing mounts since the retro-quik had a long thread bolt.

For the EvoX-R's high-beam solenoid, I believe they do not have any polarity so I just spliced the old connector and connected it to the EvoX-R's plug.

DOT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
AvrgeJediMaster

Good to know. I think I'll be doing this swap this weekend.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #8
BrettS

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
I'll be doing this in the very near future, too. My kit is in the mail and should arrive from TRS this week. How did your installation turn out? I believe TRS is now using Morimoto Mini D2S projectors. Any difference in how they install?
BrettS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
AvrgeJediMaster

Hey Brett,

The install went well. I started a new job so haven't gotten around to posting a DIY, but I have all the pictures ready haha. Install went fine, biggest issues were removing the plastic housing from the leveler arm and the surrounding housing, as well as attaching the projectors to same said housing. I don't know about the mini d2s projectors, I bought the kit which came with the full size projectors. I'm hoping to get my DIY up by the end of the week.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
891CARLOS

My Ride: 2003 E46 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettS View Post
I'll be doing this in the very near future, too. My kit is in the mail and should arrive from TRS this week. How did your installation turn out? I believe TRS is now using Morimoto Mini D2S projectors. Any difference in how they install?
I'm in the process of doing the same, have the retroquick mini D2S and Angel eyes. It seems this kit comes with a u shape bracket, haven't opened my package but saw a video. My understanding is we only have to mod the bowl for the projector to sit flat. No drilling holes. Will reconfirm once I start this project.

One question I have, hopefully someone can help here instead of opening a new thread. I got a hold of a ZKW bixenon set, housings are trash and want to use my halogen housings. There is a DIY for this but the difference is, it seems they used AL bixenons in to halogens and I'm stumped regarding the ballast/igniter. Inside the ZKW, there is no black box igniter, just the ballast. Connection to ballast is inside the housing and it has 4 plugs (other than auto leveling plug). What are the other 2 plugs connected to? I know it's not the auto leveling since that would make 5 plugs in total. I will find a way to mod the ballast into the halogen housings by the same location it was on the ZKW but wondering if I can just disregard other plugs without issues.

Waiting on this DIY to be posted as well

True Keyless Push Button System
Sports Steering Wheel
Eonon GA5150/Reverse Camera
HID projector retrofit + LED angel eyes
Smoked corners
Smoked LED Tails
Topspeedauto Catless Headers
Innovate LC1
Mtech ll Rear Bumper w/CF Diffuser
Vintage Gold 18" M3 Wheels
891CARLOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
BrettS

I've had my package from TRFS sitting on my kitchen table for a week and haven't opened it yet. I usually want to immediately jump into a project when I do that, and I haven't had time.

Here's a photo taken directly off TRFS's product page of the new projectors and brackets...

891CARLOS, what video did you find?
Old 10-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
891CARLOS

I haven't open my package either, like I said above, I'm having trouble identifying the fourth plug on the ZKW headlights.

Video at YouTube but bracket is different from the picture you posted, this one is much better. I defenitly have to open my package to see what I got.

Sports Steering Wheel
Smoked corners
Smoked LED Tails
Innovate LC1
Old 10-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
891CARLOS

@Bretts have you started?

Im trying to figure out how the bracket has to sit, I assume it'll have to sit flat on the back of the bowl. Quite a bit of trimming is needed:

Does that seem correct?

Sports Steering Wheel
Smoked corners
Smoked LED Tails
Innovate LC1
Old 10-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #14
Zpzp96

My Ride: BMW E46 330i
I am still debating on doing this or getting the rebuilt zkw bowls and use them. This kit is cheaper, but it requires some drilling and stuff I believe.

Zpzp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:00 PM   #15
BrettS

No, I haven't had time to get at it. Maybe this week I'll lay out the parts and see if I can figure out a game plan.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #16
Zpzp96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettS View Post
No, I haven't had time to get at it. Maybe this week I'll lay out the parts and see if I can figure out a game plan.

Please update this thread with many photos on the installation.
Im really debating between this retrofit vs refurbished bowls from someone here.
But I feel like that refurbished bowls are still plastic and will burn at one point vs metal solution with retrofit.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 10-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #17
DOT.

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan
My $0.02 cents, go with TRS retrofit. OE ZKW bowls are plastic and the refinish would still fade or burn after sometime.

I wonder why TRS switched to the mini D2S... Once you have the projectors out you should have a better idea how to mount those. The hardest part for me was removing the projector frame from the housing.

DOT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #18
891CARLOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT. View Post
My $0.02 cents, go with TRS retrofit. OE ZKW bowls are plastic and the refinish would still fade or burn after sometime.

I wonder why TRS switched to the mini D2S... Once you have the projectors out you should have a better idea how to mount those. The hardest part for me was removing the projector frame from the housing.
+1 go with the retrofit. Although new or refurbished bowls be better, these will eventually burn again.

I finished the install but feel like something is wrong. At first, I started trimming as pic above but saw that screw holes would be on the way. Luckily I had just started. I didn't find that trimming was necessary, using oe screws the projector fit fine and was not loose. However, the shroud did not sit flush, I reused oe shrouds. The space between the shroud and projector is not noticeable but it's there. Everything else was fine. I will take pic later this week.

I emailed TRS and they redirected me to ZHPmafia DIY with the older version hardware and said it should be the same, its not. I also emailed lightwerkz and exactly the same info was given.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #19
Zpzp96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 891CARLOS View Post
+1 go with the retrofit. Although new or refurbished bowls be better, these will eventually burn again.

I finished the install but feel like something is wrong. At first, I started trimming as pic above but saw that screw holes would be on the way. Luckily I had just started. I didn't find that trimming was necessary, using oe screws the projector fit fine and was not loose. However, the shroud did not sit flush, I reused oe shrouds. The space between the shroud and projector is not noticeable but it's there. Everything else was fine. I will take pic later this week.

I emailed TRS and they redirected me to ZHPmafia DIY with the older version hardware and said it should be the same, its not. I also emailed lightwerkz and exactly the same info was given.

Yeah I emailed TRS as well and that old DIY with no pictures were their answers.
Please upload some pics and how's the light output? Are they good?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 10-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #20
891CARLOS

I didn't took pics of the process, sorry.

Will take some of finished work and the gap I talked about. Light output was good except I used bulbs included with the used headlights I bought. I ordered new ones from TRS 5500K, haven't put them in.

Sports Steering Wheel
Smoked corners
Smoked LED Tails
Innovate LC1