Drop Strut Mounts - Drop Hat alternative - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
HertE30

My Ride: 1989 325is
Drop Strut Mounts - Drop Hat alternative

I've been using this solution for a few thousand miles on my 325xit and it will work for any E46. I must be one of the only people who is doing this so I'd like to share with everyone.

Here's a picture of the stock E46 front upper strut mount.

Here's a picture of the lower strut mount.

BMW Part number 31336775097 from an E90 xdrive.

The E90 xdrive strut mount is about 8mm shorter compared to the E46 mount. All of the studs as well as the alignment pins line up perfectly, the studs are a little longer than original.

The drop strut mount serves the same purpose as a drop hat, both bring the upper part of the spring higher. However the drop hats reduce shock travel, making it easier to bottom out (especially important on an xi like mine.) When you install lowering springs you lose bump travel. Adequate bump travel is important for both comfort and handling. Installing drop hats gets you a bit lower than this solution, but results in further bump travel loss which I certainly don't want.

Last edited by HertE30; 08-31-2017 at 10:57 AM.
HertE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
KCPBMW

My Ride: 325Xi W/Rob43 Susp.
Sorry but gonna totally disagree. Those are a poor value at almost $140 a pair for 8mm of drop. My drop hats cost me $75 for the pair and gave me a measured 14mm drop!
KCPBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:32 AM   #3
HertE30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCPBMW View Post
Sorry but gonna totally disagree. Those are a poor value at almost $140 a pair for 8mm of drop. My drop hats cost me $75 for the pair and gave me a measured 14mm drop!
I paid $66 for the pair for lemforder mounts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
KCPBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertE30 View Post
I paid $66 for the pair for lemforder mounts
I found the $67 price but it's still just a 8mm drop, i paid a few bucks more and got almost double the drop at 14mm. Since these can't work together because of interference, the smart purchase is the drop hats.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
HertE30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCPBMW View Post
I found the $67 price but it's still just a 8mm drop, i paid a few bucks more and got almost double the drop at 14mm. Since these can't work together because of interference, the smart purchase is the drop hats.
Changed my title to drop hat alternative, because sure it's not better than drop hats if your goal is only to lower your car as much as possible. But if someone wants to lower the front of their car that extra bit without negatively affecting bump travel this is the solution.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
KCPBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertE30 View Post
Changed my title to drop hat alternative, because sure it's not better than drop hats if your goal is only to lower your car as much as possible. But if someone wants to lower the front of their car that extra bit without negatively affecting bump travel this is the solution.
I hear you, most guys goals are lowering more than alittle though. I also would have concerns about reducing alot of bump travel if we were talking about a big drop, but we're only talking about a 1/2 inch.