Fast Coolant Leak - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW E36 Forum

General BMW E36 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E36 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Stubbornbard

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Fast Coolant Leak

I have a coolant leak that started happening on my 1994 318is Manual.

I'll drive the car around until it warms up and everything is fine, no leaks. I park at an air pump to get some air, leave the car running, and after about 2min, I suddenly get a leak, a leak that would probably empty the system in about 2-3min, very fast leak. It's happened twice while trying to get air in the last couple days. Doesn't seems to start until I let it idle while at operating temp, or drive 15-20min.

The leak isn't visible from the top of the engine, but from the bottom it seems to be coming from the back of the engine on the passengers side. Do you guys have any suggestions on where the leak may be coming from?

I refilled the system yesterday, properly bled it, and was able to drive about 20min then it started leaking out and I almost overheated so I stopped and refilled.

Last edited by Stubbornbard; 09-10-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Stubbornbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
SimSimaz

My Ride: E46 '02
I unfortunately can't give you any advice on that. Had a similar issue on an old Mini I used to have and I think it actually ended up also being a problem with the radiator. I understand you won't want to go to a garage, but it might be the best option in this scenario!
SimSimaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #3
Stubbornbard

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
The leak is actually happening now when it's just sitting and I fill the car with fluid. Which is actually good for diagnosing it. I was able to get under it while it was leaking and have a look around. I can't find out exactly where it's coming from, but looks like it may be around the intake manifold area.

Since it's leaking from that area, and it's happening when sitting without the car being started, does that give any good pointers to what may be leaking?
Stubbornbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I've never worked on a 4 cyl but there is supposed to be a coolant fitting on the back of the head and IIRC it's part of the casting. I think hose #17 connects to it. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_1402