E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2003, 01:51 AM   #1
menace3054

My Ride: 2008 Altima Cpe
Send a message via AIM to menace3054
Engine Whine when its Cold Out

For about the past 2 weeks ive been hearing a whining noise from my engine. But, the problem is that it only happens occasionally, and usually only when its very early in the morning (cold). Its a loud whine from the engine itself, i tried taking a vid for the audio, but I can never get it to re-make the sound when i need it to. That also presents serious problems with taking it to the dealer. Anyone have this problem? after it heats up, or if its heated i dont hear it...
menace3054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:03 AM   #2
laalala

My Ride: E46 323i
I also hear somthing from my car. I don't know this sound is coming from engine or dash board. Mine sound like rattle noise when car is moving and I step on the gas. I can't really tell where it is coming from....help

Last edited by laalala; 10-06-2003 at 02:39 AM.
laalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 05:22 AM   #3
cerbera

My Ride: 330Ci
This is just a guess....

The whine could be shot bearings on your alternator.

On a cold morning, the car switches on things like heated mirrors and heated rear glass automatically - this is heavy load on the alternator, and if the bearings are worn, you will get a whine. Soon as things warm up, the load switches off.

To check it, try turning on the heated rear glass manually , main beam headlamps and seat heaters as well if fitted and see if the whine starts up.
cerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 06:31 AM   #4
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
i did not know that

i have to try that on my car.
bobm3
Old 10-06-2003, 06:44 AM   #5
cerbera

Bob

I'd hope - as your car's a 2003 - that the alternator shouldn't be worn yet!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:39 PM   #6
menace3054

mines definately not the alternator. its comming from the engine itself, and Im in AZ a cold moring here is 60 degrees, my heated glass doenst come on.. any other guesses?
Old 10-06-2003, 04:52 PM   #7
jun14scr
booo for body roll.

My Ride: 2009 335i.
heated glass is always on..

anyways, when ever i start my carup in the morning and get ready to go... if i dont give the car alot of gas, and try to slip the clutch out, it sounds like my belts are screeching.

it usually hapens when my rpms dip below 1k and im tryin to get in gear.

is that what u hear, a screech?
Old 10-06-2003, 06:25 PM   #8
cerbera

OK - I guess my definition of cold mornings ( UK ) are somewhat different to a cold morning in Arizona.

I know the noise appears to be coming from the engine, but noises like this are very difficult to locate exactly.

Does the pitch of the whine change with engine revs?

Within the engine, the only rotating components are the crank and the cam shafts; I've never heard of a whine from the crank; the cam shaft is chanin driven, so problems here tend to be metallic rattles.

If its not the alternator, then that leaves four possible culprits.

Power Steering pump, a/c compressor , water pump and - if you've got an auto box - torque converter.

To test whether its associated with the power steering, then when you get the whine, stick it hard onto full lock..does the whine get worse?

a/c compressor....turn off the a/c on the climate control, does whine stop.

Water pump - no easy way to fault this; if it is the water pump bearings, then its only a matter of time before it starts leaking. The fact that the whine stops once the car has warmed might point at this as a likely cause.

If you've got an auto box, then the torque converter can whine loudly if its starting to wear, and is cold ( the fluid is more viscous, and converter slip is more pronounced )....but this is the least likely.

To try and identify where the sound is coming from, it can be helpful to use a long shafted screwdriver, placing the blade of the driver on different places around the engine and ancilleries while placing the handle into your ear ( honest, this works! ), the sound is then amplified along the screwdriver and allows you to trace the area that the noise is coming from.

After that....I'm out of ideas......
Old 10-06-2003, 06:55 PM   #9
menace3054

my service tech said, over the phone, that it is most likely the air pump because if it were the water pump it wouldnt go away after a few minutes. But, ive had this car for almost 3 years, im pretty sure I would have heard it before!