Tri Fecta ABS, DSC, BRAKE - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
schock3

My Ride: 01 330xi
Tri Fecta ABS, DSC, BRAKE

Hey guys, ive been lurking around for awhile while swapping engines on my 2001 E46 xi, and slowly getting her back to 100%. I rebuilt the entire front end, did the motor, new (used) trans, brakes all around, front axles, etc. Ive done a lot of searching and cant find a straight answer. I have the trifecta of lights on... ABS, DSC, BRAKE in yellow. all fluids are good and topped off. I scanned the car, and its coming up with the right rear sensor is bad. Ordered an OEM one and replaced tonight.. Erased the code.. Still the same problem. If I had a bad abs module would the computer still be able to communicate with it? What would you guys do next? I've dumped a considerable amount of time and money in this car and would like to enjoy it now. It drives so nice.... Just want it to be perfect before I give it to my wife. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
schock3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:07 AM   #2
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Here is a very detailed answer.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=48

Google e46fanatics trifecta if you haven't for a large amount of information.

EDIT: I am not one to work on my car and I am graeful that the guy that does takes great care of it. But yes, I believe it could be the ABS module

Last edited by Hamsocne; 10-07-2017 at 02:10 AM.
Hamsocne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
schock3

Awesome thread. Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
schock3

Followed some instructions based on that thread. I did a pinout Test from the abs module and had no connectivity to the right rear sensor even know it was new. I followed the wires where it came from outside into the car and found that a mouse was the culprit!!!!!! Ate through the two wires and the brake pad sensor wires!!!!! Thanks for that thread. It is priceless info to others with this problem. Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
Nemodogdad

My Ride: '02 BMW 330xi
I have the exact same problem. Traced it back to a mickey mouse job on the wiring harness from frame to the wheel sensor connector in the box. No signal could be bad connections in the clip, and a perfectly good sensor. I'm trying to trace down the part number for the wiring harness from the sensor connect box into the main harness under the rear door as my problem is obvious once I jacked the car up to max height and got a good look an t the previous "repair". Whoever did this work was a real prick, and I'm trying to track him back thru carfax. I too got a new sensor and found the problem when I was trying to neaten up and grease the connector box. Instead of nice insulated rubber line, I has two wires to the blue clip for two inches, then electrical tape, lots of electrical tape to an inch from the frame, where the original line plugs into the rail and the wiring harness. A real **** storm. I may end up trying to solder in new wire if I can get good signal at the blue clip, but prefer to replace it if I can get good info on if I need to use xi specific clip, or can scrounge on off an e90 whick I have found at a local u pull it.
Nemodogdad is offline   Reply With Quote