E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2002, 04:53 PM   #41
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

My Ride: ASA ACS 3.0 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Not to say this is the case with these, but camera exposure has a huge impact on how bright the lights look in the pics. Taking a longer exposure will make them look much brighter. The only real way to tell how bright they are will be to see them in person.
I agree. I have a 1.3M old sony mavica. plain and simple, no custom exposure settings. so the pix aren't biased. But its best to see them in person.
lilherc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 04:58 PM   #42
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

Quote:
Originally posted by racdyn4you
i had already joined the group buy, but i have just one concern and that is the wiring. i was wondering where everyone hooked it up to. cuz i noticed in the pictures that it was hooked up to the daytime runing lights so the middle one are the only one that lights up. is there any other solution where i can have it on when ever i want? i had the UUC LED version but was never installed. they also recommend something like the parking lights? would that work in my situation? TIA
my DDEs are hooked up to the FOGs, NOT the daytime running lights. So when I turn on my fogs, they turn on. The power is tapped from the Fog connector via extended wire, and the ground is tapped into the ground wire on the day time running lights. Unfortunately, if u tap it the parking light which on the BMWs is also the blinkers, you'll raise the overall voltage on the blinking system. Therefore slowing the over all blinking rate of the turn signals. The other solution is obviously have a On/Off switch installed for it.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:03 PM   #43
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Thanks for the new pics! Are the light boxes mounted to anything or do they just kinda sit there? Also, I wonder how they will be if exposed to any water?
The right light box is tapped to the plastic housing of the intake system. so its secure.
The left light box is zip tied to the frame, so it is also secure, and can be easitly removed if u need to take out ur highbeams for replacement purposes. there arent any weather issues because both boxes sit behind the weather strips of the headlights. and also sits high so water wont puddle up or anything. If there is a chance for water to get to it, it'll be water droplets, which will dry up in engine temperature.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:07 PM   #44
ken330i
E46 Fever God

My Ride: F2 dumped
Send a message via AIM to ken330i
lilherc79,

that was my car that you posted...hehe...herb installed it on friday evening and took some pics of it. i love the kit so much, but with my silvervision on, the amber doesn't blend in with the angel eyes and my xenon fog lights.

question, is it illegal to put white blinkers on? Do you live in orange county? Lets meet up sometimes...
ken330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 01:20 AM   #45
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
Quote:
Originally posted by ken330i
lilherc79,

that was my car that you posted...hehe...herb installed it on friday evening and took some pics of it. i love the kit so much, but with my silvervision on, the amber doesn't blend in with the angel eyes and my xenon fog lights.

question, is it illegal to put white blinkers on? Do you live in orange county? Lets meet up sometimes...

Yeah it's illegal

But do it anyways!
Old 06-16-2002, 01:43 AM   #46
dronell19
JDM - Style

My Ride: is sold
Send a message via MSN to dronell19
Quote:
Originally posted by dronell19
nice

but one thing i don't understand is, how is his kit different to UUC ones in terms of lighting and cable? both use fiber optics cables and 35w halogen bulbs. Why is herb's kit brighter?

and yes UUC/JP kits do have problem with melting fiber endings. I thought I was the only one. where do you hear about this?
Can someone answer my question pls?

Gone but never forgotten; E46Fanatics first Arqray+Strassentech combo
dronell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 02:33 AM   #47
ken330i
E46 Fever God

there are 2 main differences that I noticed of when herb did the comparison while I was at his place. other kit has a smaller metal case(box) which gets hot faster and the fiber optic ring down at the bottom center of the ring turns yellowish unlike herb's kit stays consistent white all across the ring.

another advantage of herb's kit is that his box is silver not METAL. this tells you that herb's kit has a better quality. i have seen it with my own eyes, trust me
Old 06-16-2002, 04:49 AM   #48
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

Another thing may have to do with the construction of the actual ring. Herbs ring is made more meticulously than the UUC one. you can fell the difference when you touch the notches behind the ring. the way their made affect the way light is refracted in the ring, which in turn gives it a better more balanced lighted ring.

Ken, you're from OC? yea we can meet up sometime. or just goto one of the brunches and meet up with everyone else! if u have AIM, you can messsage me. SN in profile.

Last edited by lilherc79; 06-16-2002 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:59 AM   #49
The Jake

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CiC
you can get these kits on eBay, too. They're calling them 'demon eyes', though if you have questions you can ask the seller. I bought a set because they work with the bi-xenons. OMZ is the guy you want.

As for why they're brigher: From what I see from the photos, the fiber optic ring has more closely spaced "ribs". Hence there are more of these ribs, and a greater area that emits light. Just my theory.

Jake

Last edited by The Jake; 06-20-2002 at 07:04 AM.
The Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 01:40 PM   #50
ken330i
E46 Fever God

lilherc79,

i m in alhambra. yeah, we can meet up with others for a brunch or something. i have added you to my aim buddy list. let's chat later.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:20 AM   #51
OPTIMO

My Ride: Car
This thread has provided some great entertainment. I am not one of those BF-heads that thinks Jim is a God, but I will defend his kit:

Quote:
but one thing i don't understand is, how is his kit different to UUC ones in terms of lighting and cable? both use fiber optics cables and 35w halogen bulbs. Why is herb's kit brighter?
-One thing I notice from the pictures, and this may not be the case or not....Jim's kit uses 8 strands of fiber (2 per ring), Herbs kit appears to use 4 (but thicker fiber).
-The spec on Jim's bulb is a 12v35w MR-11 SPOT...I'm sure Herb's a quite similar, although I would like to try a 12v45w mr11 spot if I can find a place to order from.
-I don't think Herb's kit is brighter, they appear to be very similar to me. Herb's kit looks nice, but looks a bit on the white side. I personally like the more OEM look of Jim's kit.
Quote:
Herbs ring is made more meticulously than the UUC one
If you say so . You might be confusing the UUC ones with the gen 1 rings, which honestly were pretty crappy. I don't think they get better than the DDE rings, because they are kick ass.
Quote:
other kit has a smaller metal case(box) which gets hot faster
I think the main difference in the boxes is NOT the alleged materials used, but Jim's kit has a splash guard on it. That big metal piece that attaches over it to keep water out. Herb's kit doesn't have this, and to be honest, I've found Jim's kit works better without. Possibly a design flaw, but he was probably just being cautious to those that live in Seattle.
Quote:
and yes UUC/JP kits do have problem with melting fiber endings. I thought I was the only one. where do you hear about this?
Yes, I have melting my fiber a couple times, which sucks. I would like to know how Herbs kit avoids this and possible incorporate this into Jim's kit that I'm using.

I think Herb's kit is pretty nice, but to be honest, I don't like the idea of slicing the dust boot, the 7/8 drill works excellent and look much nicer. Jim's kit also provides protective sleeving and all of his kits NOW include pre-epoxied clips. I don't know what Herb's kit is using, but I saw the mention of epoxy. In Jim's kit, you don't epoxy anything now. The clips are pretty kick ass in my opinion.
Please inform me more of Herb's kit because I'm tired of seeing all this crap on Fanatics and DTM about how this kit is so much better. I just don't see it.
Here's a pretty accurate pic of my DDE install, when I still had black headlight trim (I have silver now)
ftp://68.65.54.118/DDEs/Occoquan/MVC-013F.JPG

Last edited by OPTIMO; 06-20-2002 at 07:36 AM.
OPTIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 07:36 AM   #52
jestr
is bester

My Ride: '02 Steel Grey 325i
Optimo, nice comparison.
jestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 09:17 AM   #53
dronell19
JDM - Style

OPTIMO - you took out the watershield already? any difference?

Old 06-20-2002, 09:27 AM   #54
OPTIMO

Hey Dronell,

I took it off the passenger side and compared it with the driver's side (still has the cover).

I noticed that the box does run cooler, to be honest and I don't think it will burn the ends anymore. It did not change the appearance of the passenger side. My passenger side is not quite as bright as my driver's side (has nothing to do with the watershield). My driver's side is visible in daylight, my passenger side is barely visible. At night they look almost identical, but daytime you can tell a difference (I normally don't drive with mine on during the day, just because it's wired to my fogs). My driver's side fiber might be a little seared at the ends, but the color and output of light is PERFECT in my opinion. I wish I could get my passenger side to look like that. I think a brighter bulb might help, but then again, it might create even more heat. I even re-cut the ends on the passenger side last night to make sure I had perfect mirrored ends, but it's still not as bright as driver's side. The splash guard makes no difference in the output of light.
The ends of the fiber are in an optimal location..the damn passenger side is driving me crazy.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:31 AM   #55
dronell19
JDM - Style

actually.. this is pretty funny because that happens to me, too.. the ring on the low beam lens on MY driver side (YOUR passenger side) is just a lil bit dimmer...

found a good location for the lightbox yet? I notice Herb's instructions direct people to put the lightbox where I put it, between the car-frame and the washer liquid bottle...

Alrite.. I'm gonna run to the garage right now and take those shields out

Old 06-20-2002, 09:40 AM   #56
OPTIMO

Quote:
found a good location for the lightbox yet?
I wish I did. Right now I have it zip ties to a bracket near the headlight. I'm sure you're familiar with the 4 bolts that hold the headlight in. You have your 2 bolts on the stop, the one that's a bitch to get to (you need a long extension) and then the one in the back where the two straight pieces meet. There is a hole for god knows what between the two bottom ones and I have a zip tie running through that hole and secured to my light box. These things are such a headache.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:44 AM   #57
sp330i
Go fast Daddy!

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally posted by lilherc79
Closer.
Are the rings the same size as the aluminum headlight reflector? From this pic, the circumference dimension of the halo does not appear to be the same as the circumference dimension of the headlight reflector housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lilherc79.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	5618  
sp330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 09:15 PM   #58
hua15

sp330i , they are not the same size, but you can just pull the ring apart to make it match the size.
hua15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 09:16 PM   #59
hua15

I setup mine directly to the battery with a wireless remote switch, that way it will be much brighter. And herb just send me a new set of rings, it suppose to make the whole thing brighter too, don't know yet, more work to do.

-Hua
hua15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 10:59 PM   #60
fonzer
E46 FANATIK

My Ride: '05 g35 6MT
hua-
wireless remote? did you got to a shop to get that installed? if so, how much? seems better than running a seperate wire into the cab. any flaws?
fonzer is offline   Reply With Quote