E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2002, 03:57 PM   #1
Hitman

My Ride: 323Ci Exec
Arrow How to remove the trim near front window?

Hi,

I'm not sure how it's called what I want to remove, but I'll try ro explain. I'm replacing a carkit but the microphone is placed on the drivers side left of the front window (where it says "airbag") and left of the visor. Is there a DIY manual somewhere on how to remove this? I think the wire runs underneath there to the radio.

TIA!
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:10 AM   #2
Hitman

Sorry to kick this thread, but I really could use an answer to my question (read: I'm desperate). Does anybody know how to remove the fabric so I can remove the wires and put in a new microphone?)

(if nobody knows an answer I'll just rip it open I guess :sad:... j/k)

TIA!
Old 06-19-2002, 01:21 AM   #3
mcabr
Just Marinatin'

My Ride: Chikatetsu
just rip it off

YOu have to pry gently. All those pieces bend but you have to be careful because that airbag is in that piece. I would start from the top near the roof if I was you. Just bend a little and a little more until you can see how it works. If you break the piece then no worries the panel is only 27 bucks. If you screw the airbag then you are out some dough. Just be careful. I would if I were you just get some professional help if you are feeling uneasy about it.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:42 PM   #4
Hitman

Re: just rip it off

Quote:
Originally posted by mcabr
YOu have to pry gently. All those pieces bend but you have to be careful because that airbag is in that piece. I would start from the top near the roof if I was you. Just bend a little and a little more until you can see how it works. If you break the piece then no worries the panel is only 27 bucks. If you screw the airbag then you are out some dough. Just be careful. I would if I were you just get some professional help if you are feeling uneasy about it.
Thanks for the info, just what I needed. I really had no idea where to start, but I'll be carefull and it should work out fine.

Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2002, 03:55 PM   #5
wkay

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Re: How to remove the trim near front window?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hitman
Hi,

I'm not sure how it's called what I want to remove, but I'll try ro explain. I'm replacing a carkit but the microphone is placed on the drivers side left of the front window (where it says "airbag") and left of the visor. Is there a DIY manual somewhere on how to remove this? I think the wire runs underneath there to the radio.

TIA!
Hard to decide what you're referring to - headliner? A-pillar trim? Have you got a picture? Nothing on my car says Airbag. In both cases you need to pull up that inside trim piece that runs around the edge of the door openings, BMW calls it a mucket. If you get into the A-pillar where the airbag is located, disconnect the battery first and make sure the key is out of the ignition when you do it.
wkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 04:01 PM   #6
Hitman

Re: Re: How to remove the trim near front window?

Quote:
Originally posted by wkay

Hard to decide what you're referring to - headliner? A-pillar trim? Have you got a picture? Nothing on my car says Airbag. In both cases you need to pull up that inside trim piece that runs around the edge of the door openings, BMW calls it a mucket. If you get into the A-pillar where the airbag is located, disconnect the battery first and make sure the key is out of the ignition when you do it.
I think what I mean is indeed called the A-pillar (just learned the term today ). The microphone is located near the ceiling on the top edge of the A-pillar. Thanks for the tip of removing the key when disconnecting the battery. Why isn't that in the manual?
Old 06-20-2002, 09:05 PM   #7
wkay

Try this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	5680  
Old 06-20-2002, 09:42 PM   #8
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
make sure your hands are clean so you don't stain it...
Old 06-21-2002, 01:54 AM   #9
Hitman

Excellent! Thanks for the manual wkay, where did you get this from? And indeed a good tip JetBlackE46, I'd probably kill myself if I left black fingerprints all over the light fabric.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:58 AM   #10
chrisbbb

My Ride: 99 328I
Send a message via ICQ to chrisbbb Send a message via AIM to chrisbbb
I would like to know where the manual pics came from as well. Please fill everyone in.............
chrisbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 05:40 AM   #11
The Jake

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CiC
I'm interested in the same info as it pertains to the convertible. We don't have that little strip that hides the screws. its one solid plastic piece.

Jake
The Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 02:19 PM   #12
wkay

Quote:
Originally posted by Hitman
Excellent! Thanks for the manual wkay, where did you get this from? And indeed a good tip JetBlackE46, I'd probably kill myself if I left black fingerprints all over the light fabric.
From the BMW service manual - TIS CDRom. Fyi, I had a fingerprint on my headliner, took it off with K2R. Headliner looks like new.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:30 PM   #13
wkay

Quote:
Originally posted by The Jake
I'm interested in the same info as it pertains to the convertible. We don't have that little strip that hides the screws. its one solid plastic piece.

Jake
Procedure for convertible-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1-copy.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	5726  
Old 06-21-2002, 04:21 PM   #14
The Jake

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CiC
wow. awesome thanks.
The Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 08:20 PM   #15
luckster

My Ride: 2002 325i
wkay,
Those instructions are great! Where can you get a BMW service manual?? Is it on a Cd Rom? Would you be interested in sharing with the rest of us?
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 10:03 PM   #16
wkay

Quote:
Originally posted by luckster
wkay,
Those instructions are great! Where can you get a BMW service manual?? Is it on a Cd Rom? Would you be interested in sharing with the rest of us?
BMW Service CDROM