E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2002, 01:09 AM   #1
SUP

My Ride: e39
how do u wire two dvc subs to get 2 ohms to the amp

sorry im new at this stereo stuff..

I need help wiring my two xtant x1044 to 2 ohms for my monoblock amp.. can someone help me

thanks
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:21 AM   #2
JawKnee
JawKnee Motorsports

My Ride: Nissan 350Z Track
Send a message via AIM to JawKnee
Assuming that the speakers each have a 4 ohm load, wiring them in parallel (i.e. '+' of speaker A with '+' of speaker B and '-' of speaker A with '-' of speaker B) will yield a 2 ohm speaker load, which is not necessarily what the amp will see. Total resistance for parallel is 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... For a series load, it's simply Rtotal = R1 + R2 + ...

I believe amps that are ran in "mono" mode will actually see half of the incoming speaker load. So if you run 2 4 ohm speakers in parallel, it will again yield a 2 ohm load but the amp will be running at 1 ohm and result in more power (watts) as a result of more current due to less resistance. This is okay if the amp is stable for lower impedances but it will heat up quicker and result in more distortion.

If you want to run it in series, connect one '+' of speaker A to one '-' of speaker B while the remaining terminals (i.e. '-' of speaker A and '+' of speaker B) can be connected to one channel of an amplifier. In the event of running 2 4 ohm speakers in series, it would yield an 8 ohm load but if you run your amp in mono mode, it would see 4 ohms at the amp...

It's been a LONG time since I've been in the car stereo world, so I might not remember correctly.

Perhaps check with Ron or Craig at StreetEffectz, or Jacob NJ...

Good luck!

• '05 Honda S2000 '03 Nissan 350Z Track ('00 BMW Dinan 3)
  • '04 Subaru WRX Wagon ('01 BMW 330i)
  • '04 Honda CBR600RR
  • '05 Honda CBR600RR

• Last edited by JawKnee; 06-18-2002 at 01:25 AM.
    JawKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2002, 01:28 AM   #3
    Craig
    The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
    Rons the man to ask this one too,this ones well beyond my comprehension!!!!
    Old 06-18-2002, 01:33 AM   #4
    brandonlowe
    You can have your E9X

My Ride: 04 Denali XL ; 04 M3
    yeah,the best bet is to series each woofer,then parallel both to amp.
    positive into one sub,wire the neg next to it to the pos of the other coil,then neg back to the amp.repeat for other woofer.
    Old 06-18-2002, 01:33 AM   #5
    SrCsTc
    Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
    Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
    Look here: http://www.maaudio.com/techsupport/b...ubwoofers.html
    SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2002, 01:35 AM   #6
    Choson1
    Owner

My Ride: Keepin' it Real
    Re: how do u wire two dvc subs to get 2 ohms to the amp

Quote:
    Originally posted by SUP
    sorry im new at this stereo stuff..

I need help wiring my two xtant x1044 to 2 ohms for my monoblock amp.. can someone help me

thanks
    Well, you gotta get a pair of 2ohm dvc subs. Wire the two voice coils on each sub in series. Thus you have a pair of subs each at 4 ohms. Then wire the two subs in parallel resulting in 2 ohms to the amp.

Last edited by Choson1; 06-18-2002 at 02:01 AM.
    Choson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2002, 01:57 AM   #7
    vit325
    smooth criminal

My Ride: 2001 325i
    Send a message via AIM to vit325
    sorry, my physics teacher sucked
    Old 06-18-2002, 02:01 AM   #8
    SUP

My Ride: e39
    thank you very much for the help guys

If using Dual 2 ohm coils the total load would be 0.5 ohm.

If using Dual 4 ohm coils the total load would be 1.0 ohm.

If using Dual 6 ohm coils the total load would be 1.5 ohm.

------------------------------------------------------

I have the xtant x1001:
    Specifications
    Number of Channels 1
    Watts per Channel 4 Ohm 1 x 500
    Watts per Channel 2 Ohm 1 x 1000
    Bridged Mono at 4 Ohm n/a
    Module Ports 2-Accessory

and two xtant x1044, each are dual 4ohm's

which would be the best way to wires these up:???
    SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2002, 09:35 AM   #9
    Pro2Know

My Ride: 2000 323i Sport
    Send a message via AIM to Pro2Know
    Brandon Lowe and the other guys are correct. The Xtant woofer you noted is a DVC speaker with (2) 4-ohm voice coils I believe. So according to how you wire each speaker, each one will represent a 2 or 8 ohm load.
    The Xtant 1001 is more than stable at 1 ohm. You didn't hear it from me, but they are safe (with a proper voltage setup and box design) below that, but not much. (4) 8W6 woofers used to be in one of their factory demo cars, which would represent about a 0.75 ohm load, and it performed well.

Back to the wiring, you want a 1 ohm load on the 1001. Parallel each woofer (run a single wire from the positive terminal to the other positive, same with negatives). Do this to each speaker.
    Then run your complete speaker wire from the amp to the box. The amp is a monoblock already, so you aren't bridging the amp, it will see the load you are putting on it, 1 ohm.

Take the positive side of the speaker wire from the amp and connect it to the positive terminal of one sub. Take the negative side of the speaker wire and connect it to the negative terminal of the OTHER sub. After your connections are made, check the final load at the amp with a multimeter, it should read 1 ohms.

Be careful with the Xtant 1001. It is an amazing amplifier, but needs lots of voltage. An extra battery with this amp would be nice. Also, Xtant is particular about this, but you should be this way with all amps, do all of your wire stripping, etc before putting the amp in the car. With Xtants circuitry being exposed with the cover off, it is common to get loose wire strands on the board which will fry the amp. Xtant bitches about this more than anything, as you can see the disclaimer they put in with all new amps.

Let me know if I can help anymore.

Ron
    20% all around/50%-wholewindshield
    <--New Guy, pics to come
    Pro2Know is offline   Reply With Quote