E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
kyle808

My Ride: 00 328CI
Please Help! Engine shakes and vibrates at stop light when cold?

Hi I hope someone can help. Just recently my car vibrates and shakes a lot at stoplights in "drive" and the engine is growls louder too. It doesn't do it when I'm in park, neutral, or reverse. It seems like it does this more the first 10 minutes when you drive after the car's been parked for an hour or more. After 10-15 minutes, the vibration and growling goes away. It never did this before and it's very noticable.

Here's some background info, my is 56K miles, just put in brand new Bosch +4 spark plugs, K&N air filter. Stills vibrates and growls. btw, if one of the spark plugs are bad, how do you know?

The only other thing that happened was I almost flew over a big ass speed bump a couple of weeks ago, it was bad enough to warp all four 18" wheels and scratch up the bottom of the front bumper. besides the vibration and noise, the car runs perfectly fine. Could the "little" thing with the speed bump cause something to go wrong. Or is my car just showing signs of normal wear and tear, and i just need to replace something. water pump, air pump, belts???

Any ideas guys? I know I should take it to a dealer, but they probably will charge an unbelievable price or give the old "We can't seem to reproduce any noise or vibration" and send me home.

THANKS A LOT.
kyle808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
getchellad
Living Large

My Ride: 02 330xi, 01 C320,
Send a message via AIM to getchellad
What weight oil are you running in your car? I sometimes run 10W 30 in the summertime when its hot, and I noticed in my bimmer that my engines growls when its cold with 10w, so as soon as it gets cold I go back to the 5w.

When you say growls... is it just not running smoothly... does it sound like valves, or the timings is off.... or are you saying it only does it when its cold out?
Old 11-20-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Sounds like one of the plugs isn't firing.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 06:49 PM   #4
AKAsevo

My Ride: 05 M3 BLK/BLK
Its not the spark plugs. If it were the stark plugs rmp would go up and down in idle, so I doubt its the spark plugs. that much I can say for sure. But I suggest you use some gasoline additive, it might solve it. Go to your dealer ask for the additive and put one bottle in an emply tank and fill the gas right afterwards. Do this about 3 full tanks and it should help.
AKAsevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
justinu

My Ride: 2003 325i
Broken motor mount maybe?
Old 11-20-2003, 08:13 PM   #6
Zamorskii

My Ride: 1991 M5
The simptoms are kinda like you might have a bad lifter, hope not.
Does it misfire?
Old 11-20-2003, 08:28 PM   #7
xS3x
mi casa @ technik

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to xS3x
Old 11-20-2003, 08:35 PM   #8
e46shift
F22C1

My Ride: '00 c230k & '04
maf? dunno

Super Soft Rims
e46shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:42 AM   #9
tonyluvbmw

My Ride: i want an m3!!
Send a message via AIM to tonyluvbmw
maybe its your oil... you havn't change it for a long time?? im just guessing
Old 11-21-2003, 09:13 AM   #10
BMWNA
BMW NA Customer Relations

My Ride: BMW
Iím with BMW of North America, LLC. Iím so sorry to read about this problem with your BMW. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #1-121347156 so that we can help you more efficiently.
If you prefer, you can email us through the Ownersí Circle at www.bmwusa.com.

BMW NA Customer Relations
BMWNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:04 AM   #11
kyle808

Thanks for the replies:

getchellad: I'm using Mobil 1 10W 30, and the last time I changed it was 6K miles ago, planning to change again it this weekend. Actually, i seems like it does it more when the engine is still cold, like the first 10-15 min after parking for an hour or more. Not cold weather wise.

The engine is sounds a lot louder too when I accelerate, that growling noise, but it doesn't do it all the time. It was fine a couple of month. That's why I'm noticing it. Acceleration is not as smooth too.

Zamorskii: What is a bad lifter?

justinu
What is a motor mount?

Sorry, I'm a little ignorant on these engine terms. Thanks for all your help though.

How can you tell if one of the spark plugs are mis-firing? Do you have to take it back out and look at them physically?

AKAsevo Do you have to use the dealer's gas additive or can i just pick it up at most auto parts store. I've been pumping nothing but 93 octane, at Exxon and Shell. The rpm DOES NOT go up and down when I'm idle, actually it's very smooth and quiet when idling.

Like I mention earlier, the engine also makes a loud growling noise when I accelerate from a stop light, in addition to the vibration and growling while braking at the stop light.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:32 AM   #12
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
i had the problem too until it got worse so i towed in, all it was was a $26 coil pack and a $6 spark plug, runs smooth as new now!
Old 11-21-2003, 11:39 AM   #13
justinu

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally posted by kyle808

justinu
What is a motor mount?

Sorry, I'm a little ignorant on these engine terms. Thanks for all your help though.
The motor mounts are what isolate your engine from the body of the car. They're basically a large piece of rubber.

On older cars, the rubber gets hard, and no longer does its job of isolating the engine vibrations from the body, so you get that very annoying vibration while in drive with your foot on the brake.

I doubt that hard worn out rubber is your problem, but there might be a small chance that you broke one of the mounts when you flew over that speed bump, causing the engine to be resting right up against the body, instead of resting against the rubber cushion of the mount.

Last edited by justinu; 11-21-2003 at 11:41 AM.
justinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:31 PM   #14
kyle808

justinu: thanks for the explanation, that was really helpful, I'm gonna jack up my car this weekend and take look and see if there's anything wrong.