E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2003, 01:02 PM   #1
e46mtl

My Ride: BMW
Question Subs facing fowards to the seats or backwards?

Hey guys, I'm going to have my subs and amp installed in an enclosure in january, the installer told me that for e46's, it's better to have the subs facing the seats as opposed to the back of the car,so to get more output because the trunk is well sealed? From looking at all the pictures from the sub installs, i see that the majority of the installs are rearward facing so made me wonder. Now what i wanna know is whether or not there is a difference in sound output between facing it fowards or backwards? My friend's e46 had a foward facing sub enclosure, i think it might have been installed improperly, but it raddled and vibrated the seats everytime it was used. Can anyone clarify which is better or is there now significant difference?
e46mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
Tmack99

My Ride: X5 4.4, '05 ///M
i dont drive an e46, but in my 7 series, i have them facing the trunk (not the seats) i have tried both ways and found that this way just sounds better. they always rattle the rear seats but theres nothing you can do really. if i had an e46 what i would do is have them face the seats and when your alone just roll with the seats folded down, i dunno what it would sound like but its just my 2 cents.
Tmack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 02:23 AM   #3
///M PWR 00

My Ride: p truck
I have heard about the trunks being sealed really good also... Maybe you should look into a ported box instead of sealed. That should clear up that issue... You can always drop the back seat a little also... I will have my system in soon so you can check it out, I am in westchester ny
Old 12-12-2003, 02:45 AM   #4
pimpn04coupe

My Ride: some hooptie
my subs are facing toward the front.... i ahve one of my backseats down to let bass into the cabin otherwise there is a huge decline in bass... trust me tell them to build an enclosure thats firing into the cabin... i have heard other installs in a 3 and they dont sound nearly as clean/loud/or proper like mine does
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
rpiano78

My Ride: 2011 Regal Turbo
I dont have much experience w/BMW systems (yet) buy the traditional rule of thumb is to face the subs toward the trunk to achieve what is known as "cabin gain" which is the sound waves being allowed to reflect off of the trunk and back into the cabin i cant completely remeber the technical definition but it has something to do with allowing the soundwaves to expand or something along those lines
rpiano78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:50 PM   #6
Hey-G

My Ride: E46's
but do most sub enclosures that face the back seats cause a lot of vibration? Because I'm pretty sure he doesn't want his back seats to feel like a vibrator on steroids.

any suggestions to make this work? (i'm interested)

or any other input?

anyone have any pics of subs facing inward?

-=It's all about style=-
Hey-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:00 PM   #7
///NYCM3

My Ride: 2001 TiAg M3
Send a message via AIM to ///NYCM3
I have had both setups. The subs facing the cabin are louder, but in my experience not as clear. I chose to have more power and point them towards the trunk. They sound very clear, and hit hard. I removed the ski pass, and that helped a lot.
///NYCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 03:53 AM   #8
iluhdis
Young'n

My Ride: Your Gal
Send a message via AIM to iluhdis
is there really a big difference in the direction? if you face the subs towards the ski pass does the bass not hit as clean?

iluhdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 02:50 PM   #9
snorl3x

My Ride: 00 323ci
face them towards the trunk. never face them to the cabin.
snorl3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #10
iluhdis
Young'n

My Ride: Your Gal
Send a message via AIM to iluhdis
why not?

iluhdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 08:08 PM   #11
PM "Corrupted"
Clem's Padawan

My Ride: 2004 X3
Quote:
Originally posted by ///NYCM3
I have had both setups. The subs facing the cabin are louder, but in my experience not as clear. I chose to have more power and point them towards the trunk. They sound very clear, and hit hard. I removed the ski pass, and that helped a lot.
Agree with you....in fact, I am running tubing through my sub box to the ski pass to accomplish breathing and sound carry to the cabin.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:31 PM   #12
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Facing the subs rearward helps mask the mechanical noise present when some subwoofers are driven by a lot of power. I have yet to put subs in my 330 but I'm pretty sure trunk rattle won't be an issue since the trunk lid is somewhat heavy, but the tool kit might cause some noise. The best way is to try it both ways...the subs...and see what sound the best. If you can reverse the phase of the subs, try it with each combination.

A couple of years ago, I saw a product that was a flexible port. You could ditch the rear speakers and vent the sub box into the cabin that way.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:11 AM   #13
Hey-G

My Ride: E46's
any thoughts on back seat vibration if you were to face the subs into the cabin?

I was told from a professional car audio installer (and by professional I mean show winning/large audio projects) that it is better to face it forward in an e46...

-=It's all about style=-
Hey-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:16 AM   #14
quest330ci

My Ride: M3
I have always faced subs toward the trunk, but I really guess it is personal opinion.
quest330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:33 AM   #15
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I was told from a professional car audio installer (and by professional I mean show w

I guess I'd take the advice of the pro...face them forward. Every car is different and different types of interior materials and distance between the driver and speaker affect the perceived SPL.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote