E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements

Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements
Get the latest news and announcements from the site sponsors! To ask a question please use the 'Ask a Sponsor' forum.
Click here to view all the site sponsors and see what they are offering!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2003, 06:41 AM   #21
Yellowmann
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?

My Ride: AA SC Y2K 323i
Send a message via AIM to Yellowmann
Quote:
Originally posted by He and his
dammm this bar look PHAT
Phil, I thought you want to be Better hurry and get on the list.... we all know your addicted too

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Yellowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:46 AM   #22
steel_grey02
Banned

My Ride: is stock
wow the cf looks amazing.. interesting design though, kinda sceptical on the structural integrity compared to other bars but i dont doubt research and development bfp put into producing this strut bar on an awesome looking prodcut
steel_grey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:05 AM   #23
He and his
name's PHIL

My Ride: is not my sig
Send a message via AIM to He and his Send a message via MSN to He and his
Quote:
Originally posted by Yellowmann

Phil, I thought you want to be Better hurry and get on the list.... we all know your addicted too
yeah.......BUT i also told myself I'll never pay more than $300 for a strut tower bar ........my loss i guess:sad:

Drive me biach
He and his is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:24 PM   #24
BFP, Inc.
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: S/C E39 540i
Quote:
Originally posted by He and his

yeah.......BUT i also told myself I'll never pay more than $300 for a strut tower bar ........my loss i guess:sad:
Phil,
We lowered the price on this unit as much as we can for the buy-in. Come on, another c-note isn't too bad!

steel-grey,

I have provided a few links to CF info for you below. In short, Carbon Fiber is much stronger than most metals, with a much higher tensile strength. It is extremely light weight, and has replaced many components in major airplane structures. (if you're a skeptical about CF's structural integrity, don't get on a 777! Check THIS OUT )

This bar of ours is so rigid and well built that you could get in a major accident (heaven forbid), and the bar would survive with minor scratches. It does not flex under load like most aluminum bars; it retains it's rigid position under all loads it will see in a car.

Basic Carbon Fiber info

Interesting article

-Dan

Last edited by BFP, Inc.; 12-17-2003 at 01:28 PM.
BFP, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:29 PM   #25
BFP, Inc.
Past Site Sponsor

Several people have asked about the different bases and plating, so I thought I would quickly go over them...

1) all of the bases are aluminum

2) The anodized bases (far right and left) are not shiny like most anodized pieces you see, because they actually ended up looking a little bit cheap in our opinions. These have been sandblasted using a very rare method to preserve the anodization while giving it the matte finish.

3) Nickel plating us commonly used to plate handguns (max payne), and resists corrosion. The other two bases won't corrode, but the nickel plating is much more scratch resistant and durable. The process to nickel plate is also more expensive, hence the up-charge. It is an electrodeposit (positive/negative charge) process, wheras the anodization is a chemical dip.

Old 12-17-2003, 03:38 PM   #26
Quattro4444

My Ride: 99' BMW 323i
Send a message via AIM to Quattro4444
Damn that look awesome!!! Just one question will it fit a 99' bmw 323i? If so I'll order ASAP!!!
Quattro4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:42 PM   #27
BFP, Inc.
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Quattro4444
Damn that look awesome!!! Just one question will it fit a 99' bmw 323i? If so I'll order ASAP!!!
Absolutely Quatro! It fits all E46, though we're testing an E46 M3 today to see if it clears.

Regards,

-Dan
Old 12-17-2003, 07:49 PM   #28
BFP, Inc.
Past Site Sponsor

We just test fitted the bar to an M3 today, and it will not fit in it's present configuration. We are going to work hard over the next week to see if we can reconfigure the kit to work with an M3 in time for the buy. If not, we may offer an extension or reserve the special price to E46 M3 owners.

Also, I would like to post some general answers to the flood of email we have been getting about this bar (and questions on other boards)

1) The bar is completely carbon fiber. It is not wrapped around anything.

2) The bar is made by a company which specializes in government contracted composite work, and the technology used to manufacture the bar is proprietary (i.e. invented by the company making it). It is incredibly rigid, and can withstand a considerable amount more loading than other bars on the market. It is 3x stronger than aluminum, and under loads that it will see, it will not bend even a millimeter. Carbon Fiber is used in many automotive and aerospace applications for just this reason; light weight and strength far beyond conventional metals.

3) The bar is far from just eye candy. It has been load tested, foam core tested on an E46 for tower movement, and completely over-engineered from every perspective. It can tolerate massive amounts of compressive, expansive, and torsional forces, above and beyond what any E46 will ever see. The ends are attached using a proprietary process, and you could probably hang an E46 BY the bar without it failing. (Anyone want to volunteer for that test!?

Regards,

-Dan
Old 12-17-2003, 09:23 PM   #29
Mpowered
Crazy Boy

My Ride: 02 M3
Send a message via AIM to Mpowered
Quote:
Originally posted by BFP, Inc.
We just test fitted the bar to an M3 today, and it will not fit in it's present configuration. We are going to work hard over the next week to see if we can reconfigure the kit to work with an M3 in time for the buy. If not, we may offer an extension or reserve the special price to E46 M3 owners.

Also, I would like to post some general answers to the flood of email we have been getting about this bar (and questions on other boards)

1) The bar is completely carbon fiber. It is not wrapped around anything.

2) The bar is made by a company which specializes in government contracted composite work, and the technology used to manufacture the bar is proprietary (i.e. invented by the company making it). It is incredibly rigid, and can withstand a considerable amount more loading than other bars on the market. It is 3x stronger than aluminum, and under loads that it will see, it will not bend even a millimeter. Carbon Fiber is used in many automotive and aerospace applications for just this reason; light weight and strength far beyond conventional metals.

3) The bar is far from just eye candy. It has been load tested, foam core tested on an E46 for tower movement, and completely over-engineered from every perspective. It can tolerate massive amounts of compressive, expansive, and torsional forces, above and beyond what any E46 will ever see. The ends are attached using a proprietary process, and you could probably hang an E46 BY the bar without it failing. (Anyone want to volunteer for that test!?

Regards,

-Dan
if you send one to me ASAP i will rig it up and demonstrate its strength by using it as a pull up bar. ill post videos on the internet.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:07 PM   #30
Yellowmann
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?

My Ride: AA SC Y2K 323i
Send a message via AIM to Yellowmann
Quote:
Originally posted by Mpowered

if you send one to me ASAP i will rig it up and demonstrate its strength by using it as a pull up bar. ill post videos on the internet.
good one......

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Yellowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:37 AM   #31
BFP, Inc.
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mpowered

Too bad it's winter, or someone could use it for water skiing!

So what, 100 1-handed (with the knuckles facing you) pullups for a free bar?

-Dan
Old 12-18-2003, 10:17 PM   #32
BFP, Inc.
Past Site Sponsor

Ok, we have about a dozen commitments and several payments. Resellers have been hitting us up like crazy for this item, so this will be the only group buy for this item from us, ever, and it is limited to 50 units.

You may see this bar in a few magazines within the next few months. ;-P

Regards,

-Dan
Old 12-18-2003, 10:46 PM   #33
NickACS
BOOM!

My Ride: TWC E46 ETCC WB
Dan-
I emailed you today with pics of my strut tower tops to see if your cf bar will still give me access to these points. Please let me know asap your opinion.
Thanks...
NickACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:51 AM   #34
BFP, Inc.
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by NickACS
Dan-
I emailed you today with pics of my strut tower tops to see if your cf bar will still give me access to these points. Please let me know asap your opinion.
Thanks...
Nick, I have beeb a little behind on email. I took a quick look at the pix, and I think they may work... I'll get back to you later today via email...

--Dan
Old 12-19-2003, 11:58 AM   #35
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
I might buy one, just to sell it later... since the resale will be awsome.. :p
Old 12-19-2003, 12:45 PM   #36
Audioman

My Ride: 97 M3
Hey Dan, any interest in making one of these for an E36 BMW?
Audioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:03 PM   #37
BFP, Inc.
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Audioman
Hey Dan, any interest in making one of these for an E36 BMW?
We were actually just discussing that yesterday. We had originally planned on an E36 version if interest was high enough, and I have had a ton of email asking for it... So we started playing around with our resident E36 M3, and it looks like it'll be easy to adapt the bar to that application...

I will update as we are closer to an E36 solution, which will probably be the first or second week of January. If any E36 people want in on this GB by giving us a deposit (which would be of course refunded in the event we didn't get the bar to work for some odd reason), with the reasonable expectation that they would have to wait maybe a few weeks longer, we're game.

Pricing between the models will be the same.

Regards,

-Dan

P.S. Hey BudMan... I bet you'd get the bar, take it out of it's package, and you wouldn't be able to resist putting it on your car... ;-P
Old 12-19-2003, 01:22 PM   #38
Audioman

Dan, cool thanks for the update. One thing to think of with the E36 is that fitment on a 95 would be different than on a 96+ due to traction control. There are not too many options for us 96+ owners. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:41 PM   #39
BFP, Inc.
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Audioman
Dan, cool thanks for the update. One thing to think of with the E36 is that fitment on a 95 would be different than on a 96+ due to traction control. There are not too many options for us 96+ owners. Thanks.
Pls shoot me a pic if you have a chance. We test fit the bar on our '97 M3 and it seemed to work. Would you mind pointing out which part you're talking about?

Thx!

-Dan
Old 12-19-2003, 02:25 PM   #40
Audioman

Email sent to quatrobar@benferperformance.com

By the way, that bar looks incredible!