E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2003, 09:30 AM   #1
Artan5
life is a *****..........

My Ride: 330ci :) RIP323i
Send a message via AIM to Artan5
Jump starting a bmw

ok how the hell do you jump start a bmw? my battierry died and it like charged itself and i havent had any problems, but how do you jump start your car if the batterie is in the trunk
Artan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:39 AM   #2
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
There are terminal posts under the hood, use them. The manual also has the information.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:41 AM   #3
Artan5

i see the positive one but cant find the negative
Old 12-17-2003, 09:42 AM   #4
MIAMITOPAZ

My Ride: Rieger323CI
Send a message via Yahoo to MIAMITOPAZ
in your engine there's a little black box ( postive battery terminal) open it. and behind it there is a ground terminal that goes to the chassis. clip the jumper cables there.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
Alan L.
TWC Alumni

My Ride: AW M-Sport
On my car.....the negative post is sorta behind the postive inside the area where your DSC pump is located.

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:47 AM   #6
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
^^What he said
Old 12-17-2003, 09:48 AM   #7
Artan5

i checked mine and i found the negative. i have a 99 and i dont have dsc, so maybe thats why its diffrent
Old 12-17-2003, 09:58 AM   #8
freccetta

My Ride: Alfa 159/GSX-R 750
Send a message via MSN to freccetta
even the big bolt that holds your coil/spings is a good negative
freccetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:50 AM   #9
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Is your car a manual? If so, you may just be able to "push start" the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:02 AM   #10
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
damn! I am such a retard!

I jumped my car three times. All three times, I connect the jumper cable directly to my battery in the trunk!

I am such a retard!
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #11
grizzy727

My Ride: 08 m5 + 04 911=845hp
u dont use a negative post on the car that gets jumped--you use a ground
grizzy727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:31 AM   #12
ininfinitum
Super Nintendo Chalmers

My Ride: 330
M3Inline6, did you get the CHP job??
Old 12-17-2003, 11:35 AM   #13
blkonblk

My Ride: 06/2000 330i ZSP/ZPP
Quote:
Originally posted by ADA
damn! I am such a retard!

I jumped my car three times. All three times, I connect the jumper cable directly to my battery in the trunk!

I am such a retard!

Life is a journey not a destination, so enjoy the ride!
blkonblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:40 AM   #14
GeoMystic

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
You should always use the car chasis as ground, not the negative terminal.

2003 330i Mystic Blue - Black Alcantara/Cloth
6 Sp Manual | Performance Package | Cold Weather Package | Silver Cube Trim | Navigation | Bi-Xenons | Moonroof | PDC

OEM Clears - OEM Alarm - OEM TV Function retro - Blaupunkt DVD-ME3 - HD-DICE - DIY Clutch Stop - Silver headlight inserts - M3 Rearview Mirror - OEM ///M Dead Pedal - Euro First Aid Kit - Euro Warning Triangle - 35/20 Window Tint - ECIS CAI - ACS Style Roof Spoiler
GeoMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:43 AM   #15
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
The negative terminal is attached to the frame anyway. So it doesn't matter if you connect to the actual negative terminal or the chasis of the car.

dave
Old 12-17-2003, 11:46 AM   #16
T_DOT_BIMMER

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
just connect the positive (under the hood) to the positive on the other car, then the negitive to the other car...then ground the other negitive to ur car...i think thats how it goes?
Old 12-17-2003, 11:49 AM   #17
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally posted by ininfinitum
M3Inline6, did you get the CHP job??
That process is still frozen due to the state budget. Once that's taken care of, then they'll open the Academy and I'll be all good.

Update however....

Tested for Covina P.D. Got as far as the oral exam, but I didn't pass it. There were a pretty large number of individuals that made it to the oral process in that situation, but there were only 3 positions. It's a difficult process to overcome. I also applied to Upland & Ontario P.D. I work for the Govt., so I may try to lateral into the Sheriff's dept. (see pic ). I have my test 2/3/04!

I also have another outlet. My g/f's boss has a cousin that does the background for LAPD. He said he could get me through that after I take the written/physical. He could use his "pull" to get me through the oral. I'd be doing either L.A./Ontario Airport Customs work. I really don't want to commute, but that's the price I'll have to pay if I want the job.......unless, I get Ontario as my initial assignment.

Quote:
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-17-2003 at 11:51 AM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:54 PM   #18
E28Fiend
Track it

My Ride: '06 M3
Send a message via AIM to E28Fiend
whaaat...you tryin to be the man?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:56 PM   #19
ininfinitum
Super Nintendo Chalmers

My Ride: 330
Wow, seems like you have the job opportunities goin' for ya. Hopefully we'll get out of this deficit soon!

Quote:
Originally posted by M3Inline6

That process is still frozen due to the state budget. Once that's taken care of, then they'll open the Academy and I'll be all good.

Update however....

Tested for Covina P.D. Got as far as the oral exam, but I didn't pass it. There were a pretty large number of individuals that made it to the oral process in that situation, but there were only 3 positions. It's a difficult process to overcome. I also applied to Upland & Ontario P.D. I work for the Govt., so I may try to lateral into the Sheriff's dept. (see pic ). I have my test 2/3/04!

I also have another outlet. My g/f's boss has a cousin that does the background for LAPD. He said he could get me through that after I take the written/physical. He could use his "pull" to get me through the oral. I'd be doing either L.A./Ontario Airport Customs work. I really don't want to commute, but that's the price I'll have to pay if I want the job.......unless, I get Ontario as my initial assignment.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:02 PM   #20
GeoMystic

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally posted by Commander FAT
The negative terminal is attached to the frame anyway. So it doesn't matter if you connect to the actual negative terminal or the chasis of the car.

dave
WRONG, it does matter. Batteries produce highly explosive hydrogen as a byproduct of the charging process. Batteries often explode when the owner is trying to jump start his or her car. The spark from the contact of the last jumper lead can ignite the hydrogen causing an explosion spreading battery acid everywhere.

The way to avoid this is to connect the positive and negative leads to the battery of the donor car, and at the dead battery, connect the positive lead to the battery and then find a place far removed as possible on the frame of the car for the negative lead. This will still spark but it should be far enough away not to ignite any hydrogen coming from the battery.

This is a VERY important and very simple technique to follow when jumping your car. It can save you headache and injury.

2003 330i Mystic Blue - Black Alcantara/Cloth
6 Sp Manual | Performance Package | Cold Weather Package | Silver Cube Trim | Navigation | Bi-Xenons | Moonroof | PDC

OEM Clears - OEM Alarm - OEM TV Function retro - Blaupunkt DVD-ME3 - HD-DICE - DIY Clutch Stop - Silver headlight inserts - M3 Rearview Mirror - OEM ///M Dead Pedal - Euro First Aid Kit - Euro Warning Triangle - 35/20 Window Tint - ECIS CAI - ACS Style Roof Spoiler
GeoMystic is offline   Reply With Quote