E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2003, 03:54 PM   #1
XX

My Ride: '01BMW330Cic
Question Convertible Speed Sensor disable?

Any convertible 2001+ owners out there disable their speed sensor on their convertible top?

i.e. the top doesn't stop retracting or closing at a certain speeds.

not like i want to drive 50 while trying to put the top down, but it would be nice to go 10, instead of having to go 3mph.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
XX

Question

bump
Old 03-22-2004, 06:50 AM   #3
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: 2.8-M52TU'ed Vert
there are modules that allows you to do that....
just plug 'n play..
but i dont' remember the brand or link...
Old 03-22-2004, 07:30 AM   #4
SteelBlueXI

My Ride: BMW
For a minute I thought this was another "How do I disable my speedometer so my odometer stops working" thread.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:27 PM   #5
XX

cool, so there is hope

any ideas of where i could search it?
Old 03-27-2004, 12:55 PM   #6
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

here you are fellaz......

www.slk-module.de

Old 03-27-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

but...

50 Km/h module is only available for e36....

now that we found the stuff, the question is " may I retrofit the e36's mod. into my e46????"
Old 03-28-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
XX

sweet! thanks! I dropped them an emial inquiring abou the availability for the e46. I like that one touch feature as well. If i hear anything i'll post their answer.

meanwhile, i think the more people that ask the question, the more interested they might become in expediting the development of one if they haven't already.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:38 PM   #9
XX

The folks at that website wrote me back and state that they can not sell to U.S. for "liability" reasons

any other ideas?
Old 03-29-2004, 05:49 AM   #10
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

strange

anyway i e-mailed him,
he said that e36 speed unlock module can't be installed in e46 due to the different speed sensors

I now suppose, that the only way to unlock that function is to hack the sensor (after being sure that it could not affect Navi/Bc/ABS/ASC/DSC)

The second module (the one that allows you to open the top by only pressing once the open button into the dashboard) can be "emulated" by installing a sort of timer switch into the circuit

i'm working on it.......
Old 05-09-2004, 06:20 PM   #11
XX

bump
Old 05-11-2004, 07:32 PM   #12
spf1268

My Ride: 325Cic
Post eOpen Drive

Try this website for their cabrio related products:
http://www.carpassionata.com/

eOpen Drive - priced about $122
open/close convertible top at 25 km/h
Never standing in the rain again. With the solution eOpen drive you are able to open and
close the electronic convertible top uo to a speed of 25 km/h.
When it starts to rain you don`t have to go looking for a bridge anymore to keep the car
interior dry.
Protect the interior against wetness. The module works independently from the eOpen
module!
spf1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:17 PM   #13
XX

Sweet! I'll check it out and post what i find out!

has anybody done this mod?
Old 05-16-2004, 09:10 PM   #14
XX

very cool, did not realize there was a group buy going on for this company that offers light mods AND covertible mods:

here's the original thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=Carpassionata
Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
papu84

My Ride: bmw 320d
Smile found a way to do this. The only way i think

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Any convertible 2001+ owners out there disable their speed sensor on their convertible top?

i.e. the top doesn't stop retracting or closing at a certain speeds.

not like i want to drive 50 while trying to put the top down, but it would be nice to go 10, instead of having to go 3mph.
Hello. I also wanted to do this and i finaly did it.

First i tried to cut the ibus wire going to CVM (convertible module). After cutting the wire the buttons of closing and retracting didn`t work any more. The cvm without the ibus wire does not work.

Second i tried to code the CVM module with ncsexpert. No way. the cvm cannot be coded.

Second i think of something. The speed sensor is the abs sensor from the rear left weel. Maybe if i cut the wire of the abs sensor and put a switch i can do this. WRONG. When i press the switch and cut the connection between ABS module and abs sensor i get a error on dash. The abs light is on, the dsc is on. The speed drops to 0, i can retract or close at any speed because actualy the odometer reads 0. The problem is after i finish retracting or closing, i press back the switch but the error doesn`t dissapear untill i cut off the ignition off and on back. So it`s not ok.

I tried putting a relay so that when i press the button instead of the sensor to put in the circuit a 800 ohm resistor. Nothing. The same thing. Error dissapears only after i cut off the ignition.

The only way was to put 4 relays with 4 800 ohms resistors on every wheel sensor so i trick the abs computer to think all the weels are stopped.

I found a simple sollution. Searched the fuse box and found that fuse 56 (if i remember well) a 30 amp fuse is the ABS module fuse. I have started the car and drive with about 30 km.h. In time i was driving i have removed the ABS fuse. I noticed that ABS light, DSC light imediatly went on, and the speedometer dropped to 0. Wile driving i have put back the fuse. After i put back the fuse after 1, 2 sec maximum the abs lught went off.

So what i did is i put a relay so when i press the button, the relay cuts the power to the abs module. It basicly (removes) the fuse when the button is pressed and plugs it back when the button is depressed. I have used a Normaly CLOSE relay that when i power it it interrupt the power of the abs module.

When the abs module is out of power the speedometer reads 0, and i can use the convertible buttons even if i drive my car i don`t have to stop.

I think this is the only way to do it. For the people who want this bad like me hope you find this useful. Good luck.

P.S. i used a relay instead of using a simple switch because i didn`t have a switch that holds 30 amps. I wanted a winy switct that could not hold 30 amps and decided it`s better with a relay. If you want to see pictures of the project and the schematics with the relay i can help u. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	convertible while moving.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	412132  

Last edited by papu84; 08-09-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: forgot somethin
papu84 is offline   Reply With Quote