E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 12:41 PM   #1
LagunaSecaM3

My Ride: Lsb M3 Named Frita
Send a message via AIM to LagunaSecaM3
I was told led tails wont work, true?

Hey guys, I want to retrofit oem led tail lights onto my 2002 M3 coupe. I sent circle bmw an email asking them for the parts needed. First, they thought I wanted clears but then I told him i wanted Led Tail lights, and gave him my vin number. He says that Leds are only for ars produced after 3/03. My car was produced in 3/02. would it still work if I just buy the oem lights plug them in and flash the ecu at the dealership? Your help would be greatly appreciated, Thank.
LagunaSecaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:43 PM   #2
tommiexboi

My Ride: 328i > 335i > M3 cab
Send a message via AIM to tommiexboi
hmm do a search... i heard of ppl swapping out their old taillights for led's =)

[SOLD] "The OG M Parallel Master" =) ------------------------- [New] 2008 E90 335i "White Monster"

New Pictures 5/22
Window Regulator Write-up (DIY)
tommiexboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
B-M3-W
Banned

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
the ones off the 04 BMW's wont work, sorry man, they are pressure sensitive, (the harder you push the pedal the brighter the lights get), the have alot of extra hook ups in the lights and the braking system, so they wont work, but 03 and down will.
B-M3-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
Har5ha

My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to Har5ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-M3-W
the ones off the 04 BMW's wont work, sorry man, they are pressure sensitive, (the harder you push the pedal the brighter the lights get), the have alot of extra hook ups in the lights and the braking system, so they wont work, but 03 and down will.
The pressure thing apparently has only been set on 2004 cars in the UK...Have the facelift model (2004 model) which I got July 2003 so have the leds on the car. They aren't pressure senstive and when I took it to BMW to have the brake force diplay activated they said that there were only activating certain chasis numbers at a time and mine wasn't up yet.

Anyway that is I what I have heard...apparently the brake force display wasn't put on my car when I got it as it had to pass certain safety tests and now come standard on the cars since it has been approved in the UK.

Anyway my point is..that mine just work like normal lights..so maybe it can be done.

This is what I have gathered...but i could be wrong!
Har5ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:11 PM   #5
Will ZCPM3

My Ride: ///M3
you can get them they just wont have the adaptive brake lighting.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:14 PM   #6
rearviewmirror

My Ride: 03 CB/Cinn M3 'vert
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via MSN to rearviewmirror
You can get them and he has to tell you that they will NOT work for cars produced before 03/03. And when you say, "I don't care, I'll take them anyway", he'll send them to you at a good price and they will work fine on your car. Do a search, there are plenty of LED retrofit cars.. Do a search for my thread.. My LED retrofit experience.

Before you ask a question about OIL, read this!
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:27 PM   #7
SmurfM3

My Ride: 2004 LSB M3
Send a message via AIM to SmurfM3
OR you can search and find a DIY on how th have the adaptive lights light up every time you press the brake. IO think thats a better idea. Brighter all the time. Brake force indication is sorta useless at the point where 0.05% of all cars have it... might as well just have bright brakes all the time.
SmurfM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:34 PM   #8
rearviewmirror

My Ride: 03 CB/Cinn M3 'vert
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via MSN to rearviewmirror
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfM3
OR you can search and find a DIY on how th have the adaptive lights light up every time you press the brake. IO think thats a better idea. Brighter all the time. Brake force indication is sorta useless at the point where 0.05% of all cars have it... might as well just have bright brakes all the time.
That takes cutting wires and and stuff.... in stock form a NON-ABLAS capable car will light up the outter rings all the time when the headlights are on which looks they just won't get brighter under extreme braking.. but who really cares, people in the US can't drive anyway.

Before you ask a question about OIL, read this!
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:24 AM   #9
LagunaSecaM3

My Ride: Lsb M3 Named Frita
Send a message via AIM to LagunaSecaM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-M3-W
Can i still just go to a dealership and order the oem lights even if they are 04 lights will they work in my 02 m3 coupe? Also i dont really mind if the get brighter when i brake harder but can i set them to always be bright and to have the outter led ring always on? Thanks for all your help guys.
LagunaSecaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:49 AM   #10
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS
Question ????

whats with the outer ring stuff....in a non ABLAS car 10/02 builddate, 03 325CI, the outer ring lights on when i turn on the lights? or does it light up when i brake?

whats the scoop with that?
///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote