E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2004, 04:39 PM   #21
Dalton
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly

My Ride: goes wshh
i personally think that putting LEDs on and having them stay on while you drive around is right up there with those LED windsheild washer jets.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 04:48 PM   #22
BlackChrome
No more E46 :(

My Ride: 2001 3.0L Ci
FYI, halogens only apply to headlight bulbs.
BlackChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:08 PM   #23
fadegs

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Actually a lot of cars, stock, have sidemarkers that are on constantly, they are sometimes referred to as curtesy lights. My eclipse, for example, has constant on sidemarkers. I don't see what's so rice about them nor are they anywhere near the same as windshield washer lights.

Halogens are NOT just for headlights. They refer to the class/type of bulbs that include just about every light bulb used today (besides fluorescent bulbs), so not just headlights, but also, for example, 1156/1157 bulbs (turn signals, tail lights, etc), 194 wedge style bulbs (sidemarkers), your house lamp's bulb, etc. Every light in your car, with the exception of the xenons, is a halogen bulb.

Last edited by fadegs; 01-04-2004 at 05:20 PM.
fadegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:09 PM   #24
Jackboot

My Ride: Bus
If I replace my interior lighting with these LED bulbs, will they glow like the sidemarkers do all the time? That ambient lighting could be nice for the footwells perhaps...
Jackboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:11 PM   #25
Ward

My Ride: 2011 335is coupe
I would get them if they didnt stay on all the time. I like having as few lights on as possible. I wish someone would help me do the thing where I can get my corners disabled too when not blinking.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:16 PM   #26
evoryu

My Ride: 330ci
i just purchased the LED sidemarkers light.

but does anybody know what kind of corners bulbs would match the LED sidermakers??
evoryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:34 PM   #27
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

My Ride: Yamaha R1 + 325i
Since there are several people that have had problems with their side markers turning yellowish/brownish after a while (due to the heat from the bulbs), it may be a good idea to get these to prevent that...

has anyone tried the amber LEDs?
Old 01-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #28
Craig
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
I'd have to agree not a big fan of them staying lit...
Old 01-04-2004, 06:46 PM   #29
Chocaine
--

My Ride: '04 330ci
Is superwhite white like the xenons, or does it have a hint of blue in it?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:54 PM   #30
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

Quote:
Originally posted by Chocaine
Is superwhite white like the xenons, or does it have a hint of blue in it?
i believe that it is just white... no blue in it.

the blue one is mostly white with a hint of blue i think.. maybe wrong though.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:07 PM   #31
WarSong
Obey my dog

My Ride: 2007 Audi A4 3.2Q
Send a message via ICQ to WarSong Send a message via AIM to WarSong Send a message via MSN to WarSong
sounds cool do they still blink?
Old 01-04-2004, 07:22 PM   #32
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

from what i read... they stay somewhat lit when the car is idle, and when you use turnsignal, they blink fine.

i am interested in the amber ones since they are clear when not lit, and legit-amber when lit..... only thing is that i dont want them lit all the time when the car is running that would be lame.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:45 PM   #33
Kamen

My Ride: E462003
do they offer for corner? i dont mind if my corner is lit all the time.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:48 PM   #34
Dalton
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly

Quote:
Originally posted by fadegs
Actually a lot of cars, stock, have sidemarkers that are on constantly, they are sometimes referred to as curtesy lights. My eclipse, for example, has constant on sidemarkers. I don't see what's so rice about them nor are they anywhere near the same as windshield washer lights.

Halogens are NOT just for headlights. They refer to the class/type of bulbs that include just about every light bulb used today (besides fluorescent bulbs), so not just headlights, but also, for example, 1156/1157 bulbs (turn signals, tail lights, etc), 194 wedge style bulbs (sidemarkers), your house lamp's bulb, etc. Every light in your car, with the exception of the xenons, is a halogen bulb.
well yes, some cars, (ie - eclips's, vw's, etc) come with it but im talking about those who dont. Also, the cars that do come with it have what you referred to as "courtesy lights" which are completely seperate from the blinkers. When i made the comment before i meant it as having the sidemarkers, not courtesy lights, lit up all the time.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:51 PM   #35
Dalton
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Nico3k
Since there are several people that have had problems with their side markers turning yellowish/brownish after a while (due to the heat from the bulbs), it may be a good idea to get these to prevent that...

has anyone tried the amber LEDs?
when you have the clear lenses you cant help discoloration after a while. they just get dirty. its not from the heat. my sidemarkers turned a yellowish and i replaced them with some new OEM ones. it cant be the heat because they only blink once and a while when i actually decide to use my blinker (which i dont do all that much)
Old 01-05-2004, 02:35 AM   #36
Nelson
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Alpin weiß ///M
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig
I'd have to agree not a big fan of them staying lit...
As stated, I don't think having a constant bluish LED on looks right... especially on a bimmer...

///M
| eBay mod'ing sUUCks
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 06:40 AM   #37
ILLCOMM
like ma bell, i got the...

My Ride: 911 GT2
if you add resistors none of the extra functions will remain ... the only reason they exhibit all that stuff is that they consume SO much less power than a filament bulb. when the OEM bulb sees the tiny amount of current that ignites the LED it does nothing.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:17 AM   #38
GeoMystic

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
i personally think that putting LEDs on and having them stay on while you drive around is right up there with those LED windsheild washer jets.
I agree! They are sidemarkers and meant to light up while signaling. Being lit all the time will simply annoy and distract the person driving next to you.

2003 330i Mystic Blue - Black Alcantara/Cloth
6 Sp Manual | Performance Package | Cold Weather Package | Silver Cube Trim | Navigation | Bi-Xenons | Moonroof | PDC

OEM Clears - OEM Alarm - OEM TV Function retro - Blaupunkt DVD-ME3 - HD-DICE - DIY Clutch Stop - Silver headlight inserts - M3 Rearview Mirror - OEM ///M Dead Pedal - Euro First Aid Kit - Euro Warning Triangle - 35/20 Window Tint - ECIS CAI - ACS Style Roof Spoiler
GeoMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:27 AM   #39
MIAMITOPAZ

My Ride: Rieger323CI
Send a message via Yahoo to MIAMITOPAZ
i dont know the brand of led bulb you guys are using cause ive had led in my side markers for 3 years and mine never stay constantly on. mine are white (xenon white) with 4 tiny leds in a 194 base. i bought them off of ebay along time ago.

not all led bulbs will stay constantly on, check different brands.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:26 AM   #40
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Re: LEDs in sidemarkers - BEST THING

Quote:
Originally posted by fadegs

- Stays on as long as your lights on
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote