E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2004, 08:33 AM   #41
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Got any pics of 'em blinking in the daylight? I'm wondering if they're as bright as the regular bulbs.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #42
Jspeed

My Ride: '01 330i
I don't understand why so many people are disgusted by the side markers coming on with the parking lights. Lighting up the parameters of the car enhances safety b/c it lessens the chance of someone changing into your lane without seeing you at night.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:56 PM   #43
Dalton
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly

My Ride: goes wshh
if they cant see your headlights or rear lights which are like 100000 times bigger, then they shouldnt be on the road...
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #44
MK330CI

My Ride: 2002, 330CI
Whether it's safer or not, I think it looks cool. I have to admit that the windshield washer lights are gay looking, I think that the side markers on a BMW looks good when it stays lit.

So far, within this discussion, I think we have 90% supporters for the sidemarker lights and the rest are oppose to it. Am I right to make such assumptions?

On order: Sport mirrors, new drilled rotors.
MK330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:14 PM   #45
Jspeed

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
if they cant see your headlights or rear lights which are like 100000 times bigger, then they shouldnt be on the road...
There are countless idiots who shouldn't be on the road, but they still are. So what's your point?
Old 01-05-2004, 02:31 PM   #46
fasteddie
INDEED

My Ride: 2OO2 OrientBlue 325i
bleh, if you like em, get em, if not, don't... simple as that... there's always haters on here for EVERY mod.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #47
Squeaky1

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
I got em....I like em....everyone that's seen them like em...If you don't like em...don't really care
Squeaky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:45 PM   #48
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jspeed
I don't understand why so many people are disgusted by the side markers coming on with the parking lights. Lighting up the parameters of the car enhances safety b/c it lessens the chance of someone changing into your lane without seeing you at night.
Ummm, yeah - those are really helping to illuminate the side of the road.

If you like them, that's fine - but they offer no additional safety as you proclaim. Well, maybe people will say, "Hey look at that riced out BMW that has lighting like a Honda" - and thus the added attention will help you avoid accidents.

THEY ARE GAY.
..but if you like them, go for it.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:58 PM   #49
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

My Ride: Yamaha R1 + 325i
i still dont see how they are gay.... a bmw with LED side markers isnt rice.....

hell the 04's have LED tail-light... leme guess thouse look like alteza to you or something?!?!
Old 01-05-2004, 06:02 PM   #50
Chocaine
--

My Ride: '04 330ci
Does anyone know if these leds will fit '04 coupes?

And to each his own, I am sorry if you think they are 'gay'. You are entitled to your opinion and we are entilted to ours, but there is no need to yell that they are gay.
thanks

Last edited by Chocaine; 01-05-2004 at 06:04 PM.
Chocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 06:16 PM   #51
StreetTrixE4six
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 08' 328i E92
Quote:
Originally posted by GordonMurray

If you like them, that's fine - but they offer no additional safety as you proclaim.
he's not referring to lighting the side of the road, he's referring to having a dim light visible on the side of your vehicle making a driver next to you more aware of you. therefore, i'd say that would be an additional safety option.

i'm very curious to try out this mod. i'm not a big fan of sidemarkers staying lit but if they're not annoying bright like the cars i usually see, i may like the way it looks. i'd definitely love to have the other features mentioned that come with swapping for LED's
StreetTrixE4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:46 PM   #52
Jackboot

My Ride: Bus
Quote:

If you like them, that's fine - but they offer no additional safety as you proclaim. Well, maybe people will say, "Hey look at that riced out BMW that has lighting like a Honda" - and thus the added attention will help you avoid accidents.

THEY ARE GAY.
This is the third thread I think that I've noticed you hating on. This forum has a lot of people that do mods to their cars that take it quite a ways from the OEM look. If this really upsets you, consider browsing a different forum or get used to it and shut up.
Jackboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:13 PM   #53
Jspeed

Quote:

THEY ARE GAY.
Maybe you should read my post more carefully. StreetTrixE4six understood what I meant exactly.

For a car travelling right beside you at night, its tail light might be out of your peripheral vision and the front corner light could be blocked by your A-pillar or maybe it doesn't radiate enough light laterally to begin with. A lit sidemarker, if not too bright, would be very effective in reminding you that car's presence w/o distracting you.

It's fine that you chose to criticize this mod in an immature fashion, but at least be open-minded on my objective analysis. Notice I'm not even saying whether I like it or not.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:46 PM   #54
Dalton
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly

My Ride: goes wshh
Quote:

There are countless idiots who shouldn't be on the road, but they still are. So what's your point?
im just saying that i dont think the LEDs will make much of a difference safety wise. i believe its purely aesthetic
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:06 AM   #55
quest330ci

My Ride: M3
Anyone else have more pictures?
quest330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:43 AM   #56
jason330i
moderation in all things

My Ride: 2002 330i
i vote rice.

don't see a difference from this and windshield wiper lights or beneath the car lights...

i'm sure it looks cool, but rice cool.

you sir, are a

Last edited by jason330i; 01-06-2004 at 09:48 AM.
jason330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:00 AM   #57
GeoMystic

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

im just saying that i dont think the LEDs will make much of a difference safety wise. i believe its purely aesthetic
I agree. If anything they are more of distraction to other drivers than a saftey feature. If they are that close to your car then they have a clear view of your front corners or a reflection of it.

If they still attempt to turn into your lane, then a dim lighted led is not going to make a difference at all.

2003 330i Mystic Blue - Black Alcantara/Cloth
6 Sp Manual | Performance Package | Cold Weather Package | Silver Cube Trim | Navigation | Bi-Xenons | Moonroof | PDC

OEM Clears - OEM Alarm - OEM TV Function retro - Blaupunkt DVD-ME3 - HD-DICE - DIY Clutch Stop - Silver headlight inserts - M3 Rearview Mirror - OEM ///M Dead Pedal - Euro First Aid Kit - Euro Warning Triangle - 35/20 Window Tint - ECIS CAI - ACS Style Roof Spoiler
GeoMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:34 PM   #58
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

My Ride: Yamaha R1 + 325i
why doesnt someone just start a poll and vote rice or no rice lol
Old 01-07-2004, 01:05 PM   #59
Jspeed

Allow me to add one more comment.

The safety value of a lit side marker during night time is analogous to a flashing side marker during lane-change/turning. If you argue that you can always see at least one of the front or rear lights, then you would also be saying that the flashing side marker the factory installed was also redundant.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:54 PM   #60
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Quote:
Allow me to add one more comment.

The safety value of a lit side marker during night time is analogous to a flashing side marker during lane-change/turning. If you argue that you can always see at least one of the front or rear lights, then you would also be saying that the flashing side marker the factory installed was also redundant.
Not true....but if that's your logic, why not install running boards from a cargo van and light up the whole road.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote