E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
El Gato Liso

My Ride: BMW NOTHING.
Vortech Blower...getting more boost/power

Hi!

My blower system is running just great and gravy in my e46 330. I get bored fast and thought about something to do over the winter.

I am entertaining the idea of bringing my 6 psi setup to perhaps 9 psi, so hopefully someone who has done this before can chime in with insight.

I currently have a 6 psi 3.66" pulley. I am looking to bring it to about 2.62"-3.25" (whatever is offered on the Vortech website). I have also considered other things such as an intercooler setup if I am seeking out 9 psi. I am currently running 30# injectors, but will probably change it to 42#.

I am hoping to hit about 400hp/325tq to the crank (going on the dyno in a week or 2 to figure out what i currently have). Since the blower has a smooth increase in power as opposed to a turbocharger having, figuratively speaking, an on switch of power and therefore more engine stress, would it be necessary to put in stronger head studs and a thicker headgasket to lower the compression? Also, would intercooling be necessary at that boost level? I read that intercooling can have opposing effects on super charger boost or something like that?

thanks for the help
El Gato Liso is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
cosmos328Ci

My Ride: 328Ci -M54B30 on E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
Hi!

My blower system is running just great and gravy in my e46 330. I get bored fast and thought about something to do over the winter.

I am entertaining the idea of bringing my 6 psi setup to perhaps 9 psi, so hopefully someone who has done this before can chime in with insight.

I currently have a 6 psi 3.66" pulley. I am looking to bring it to about 2.62"-3.25" (whatever is offered on the Vortech website). I have also considered other things such as an intercooler setup if I am seeking out 9 psi. I am currently running 30# injectors, but will probably change it to 42#.

I am hoping to hit about 400hp/325tq to the crank (going on the dyno in a week or 2 to figure out what i currently have). Since the blower has a smooth increase in power as opposed to a turbocharger having, figuratively speaking, an on switch of power and therefore more engine stress, would it be necessary to put in stronger head studs and a thicker headgasket to lower the compression? Also, would intercooling be necessary at that boost level? I read that intercooling can have opposing effects on super charger boost or something like that?

thanks for the help
Who is tuning this setup for you?

The following are good to go:
Head studs
Head gasket
Compression Ratio

Intercooler would be beneficial for the extra boost, you will loose some boost but take that into account when deciding on your new pulley size. (Bigger is not always better than the one that complements the system you are running)

Before and after dyno.

All the best.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
dbarton62

My Ride: 04Z4R VF 9.5PSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
Hi!

thanks for the help
I am running a vortech with 3.6 pulley right now.
Bought a 3.33, 3.25 and a 3.125 to try over the winter. Start with small gains and work up.

Looking to be at around 8 lbs and still be safe with my tune as is, it runs rich at the moment.

An MFI is another option should the AFR,s get too lean.
dbarton62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
how about no intercooler and running meth injection? Get a bigger tank in the trunk feeding your windshield wiper reservoir. Frank Smith has a tune for the M3 that if meth stops spraying it vents at 6psi but when spraying runs 9psi. If you could get tuned like that you'd be $
Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
Just because the air fuels are still on the rich side, does not mean it's safe to keep upping the boost. Your ignition timing will need to be modified to the VE and boost change. You can certainly still detonate and damage a motor regardless of air fuel ratio. You really should retune.

03 Carbon Black X5 4.4 - Parts Hauler/Daily

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
dbarton62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
Just because the air fuels are still on the rich side, does not mean it's safe to keep upping the boost. Your ignition timing will need to be modified to the VE and boost change. You can certainly still detonate and damage a motor regardless of air fuel ratio. You really should retune.
Thanks for the input.
Small steps like I said

The OP was looking for opinions/ comments on whether he would need an intercooler running 9#.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Ultrarevparts..._sid=141155680

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:14 AM   #8
El Gato Liso

Bump

My appologies, but thanks for the input!

Feb is around the corner and i am going to start digging into this power boost as well as collecting parts! I actually thought about swapping an s54 in and supercharging it, but As wild as it sounds I am sure it would be more cost effective to stick to my initial plan. I am not looking into meth...just a 'simple' cooling system instead. The Dinan E36 supercharger setup has that small intercooler unit, so I am going to see if i can get my hands on one of those instead of an entire front mounted unit. Thoughts on that?

If i could avoid a cooler setup all together that would be perfect. Of course i dont want to risk anything with increased boost and temperatures. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to run more boost (currently topping out at 6psi) with no intercooling?

Thanks in advance! I am looking forward to this new project!
Old 01-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #9
dbarton62

Check this out
http://store.activeautowerke.com/col...s/supercharger

Another Z4 owner put me on to this.

The idea is you install a small pulley capable of 9-10 psi of boost, a WMI system and a tune.
There is a solenoid operated dump valve that opens at a preset psi, say 6 psi.
There is a "sport" button that closes the dump valve and activates a WMI system that allows you to run the 9-10 psi boost.

Seriously considering this.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
El Gato Liso

Thats pretty badass actually! ^^^. I have s VF setup so i would dount this system being compatible to AA's system

Its seems anything over 8psi should be intercooled. I am also trying to budget the build but spend the money on a supertune! I think my headgasket is fried. I suppose ill just get some studs and and cams while i have the headoff to change the headgasket. I am kinda thrilled to dig more into stage 2!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #11
87Euro

My Ride: 04 330i
Definately intercool it - just remember the 8psi will net around 6psi with a big intercooler, so go for the 10 psi pulley but we aware you might start to get belt slip at the higher rev's with the smaller pulley. 42's and fuel pump would be good to around 480 hp, but bottom end can't handle it so your sfae there running injectors and pump....
Old 01-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #12
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
My thoughts are: Keep it simple.

The moment you start to Completely redesign your current S/C system,...you will run into headaches.

Cams: If you go this route, make sure you buy S/C Cams, not N/A cams.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
do you have 5 speed or 6 speed? If only 5 speed consider getting a 6 speed trans and a M3 rear axle which would give decent gearing advantage and LSD. 3.91 or 4.10's could also be implemented for additional gearing advantage
Old 01-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
dbarton62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
do you have 5 speed or 6 speed? If only 5 speed consider getting a 6 speed trans and a M3 rear axle which would give decent gearing advantage and LSD. 3.91 or 4.10's could also be implemented for additional gearing advantage
^^^ this is a good way to achieve quicker acceleration without playing with the motor
I put a 3.73 from an 08 Z4 SMG in mine. You can feel the the difference SOP.