E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
syl3ntforce

My Ride: E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to syl3ntforce
Looking to supercharge or turbo need advise to get the car ready

Hello All,

Looking for advice on what to do.

Im looking to either supercharge or turbo charge my M3. Its a 2003 and it has 130,000 miles on it. I was going to get the turbo or supercharger around wintertime to have the car ready for next summer.

So far im trying to gather up what i need done on the motor to be safe. I know i have alot of miles but the motor is pretty clean. I am going to change rod bearings and small gasket leaks very soon was quoted $1500 for rod bearings and oil pan gasket change.

Few things is how much will it cost to do either?
I know prices vary but a estimate is better than not know how much ill be spending.

Also i was quoted around 8500-9000 for a ESS VT2-525 supercharger installed. Is that good price?

I don't plan on selling the car since I've decided to keep it now, but i would like a power increase and NA can only get me up to 400 possibly so boosted is the way to go since I'm looking to sit comfortably at 500+ hp.

Please help me out. Im trying to get everything fixed or maintained before i decide to boost my M3.

Thanks in advance

318i>328i>328i>EK Civic SI>328ci>328xi>E46 M3

syl3ntforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
Hobbit382

My Ride: 99-328i 00-323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by syl3ntforce View Post
Hello All,

Looking for advice on what to do.

Im looking to either supercharge or turbo charge my M3. Its a 2003 and it has 130,000 miles on it. I was going to get the turbo or supercharger around wintertime to have the car ready for next summer.

So far im trying to gather up what i need done on the motor to be safe. I know i have alot of miles but the motor is pretty clean. I am going to change rod bearings and small gasket leaks very soon was quoted $1500 for rod bearings and oil pan gasket change.

Few things is how much will it cost to do either?
I know prices vary but a estimate is better than not know how much ill be spending.

Also i was quoted around 8500-9000 for a ESS VT2-525 supercharger installed. Is that good price?

I don't plan on selling the car since I've decided to keep it now, but i would like a power increase and NA can only get me up to 400 possibly so boosted is the way to go since I'm looking to sit comfortably at 500+ hp.

Please help me out. Im trying to get everything fixed or maintained before i decide to boost my M3.

Thanks in advance
I'd go with the maximumpsi kit hands down. its a little more expensive but well worth it.
Hobbit382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
syl3ntforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit382 View Post
I'd go with the maximumpsi kit hands down. its a little more expensive but well worth it.
Any idea what its cost would be around? ive never dealt or knew anybody with their kit. any idea on how it is?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Davconelectric

My Ride: Mainly cars
https://maximumpsi.com/product/e46-m...o-kit-stage-1/
Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
I got my VT2-525 + subframe reinforcement + value adjustment for 8300 installed. That was this spring in Chicago by an ESS approved vendor and installer. Super good deal.

Last edited by morningisbad; 06-03-2015 at 07:30 PM.
morningisbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
morningisbad

Had a 3rd party dyno it after the install.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1075483
Old 06-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
syl3ntforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
I got my VT2-525 + subframe reinforcement + value adjustment for 8300 installed. That was this spring in Chicago by an ESS approved vendor and installer. Super good deal.
wow why did i quotes so much dam. How much was the supercharger if you dont mind me asking?

I was quoted about 10-11 to do the supercharger and rod bearings i feel like i got over priced a bit

Old 06-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
morningisbad

Quote:
wow why did i quotes so much dam. How much was the supercharger if you dont mind me asking?

I was quoted about 10-11 to do the supercharger and rod bearings i feel like i got over priced a bit
Supercharger + install was 7000. 1000 for subframe and 300 for the valve adjustment. I believe ESS was running a special on the 525 last winter when I got the quote from them.

Also had them plugs, packs, rear springs and a few other things. The only recommendation they had was the fuel pump, but that was replaced a year ago.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
syl3ntforce

Quote:
Supercharger + install was 7000. 1000 for subframe and 300 for the valve adjustment. I believe ESS was running a special on the 525 last winter when I got the quote from them.

Also had them plugs, packs, rear springs and a few other things. The only recommendation they had was the fuel pump, but that was replaced a year ago.
dammit i might wait to see if they have another sale going on. Im also looking at just buying the turbo parts myself and installing them myself im trying to find out what i might need replaced on the motor since i have 130k on it, or if its even worth it to boost at this point

Old 06-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
morningisbad

Quote:
dammit i might wait to see if they have another sale going on. Im also looking at just buying the turbo parts myself and installing them myself im trying to find out what i might need replaced on the motor since i have 130k on it, or if its even worth it to boost at this point
Mine is at 104k. I highly considered buying an S85 M5 and selling my M3. But there are just so many things I love about my M3. It feels like home. Decided to go supercharged instead. I only put about 6k miles a year, so I figure I've got many many years left with it. And with as much as I've got in it now, selling isn't really a good option haha
Old 06-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #11
vsvahia007

My Ride: E46 M3 02 Vert

Last edited by vsvahia007; 06-10-2015 at 10:51 AM.
vsvahia007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #12
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

Exclamation

If you want 500+ WHP you can go with our Prima Plus Kit and we can also include the WPC Treated Rod Bearing Upgrade w/ ARP Bolts for under 8k Shipped.
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #13
syl3ntforce

Quote:
Mine is at 104k. I highly considered buying an S85 M5 and selling my M3. But there are just so many things I love about my M3. It feels like home. Decided to go supercharged instead. I only put about 6k miles a year, so I figure I've got many many years left with it. And with as much as I've got in it now, selling isn't really a good option haha
Same here I was looking at a few e60 M5 but then realized i have to much money invested in my M3 and i dont think i can let go of it anymore. I'd be happy with a supercharger to keep up with the m5's and m4's since i love the way my car looks and drives already its just the hp i want to change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral@ActiveAutowerke View Post
If you want 500+ WHP you can go with our Prima Plus Kit and we can also include the WPC Treated Rod Bearing Upgrade w/ ARP Bolts for under 8k Shipped.
thanks for the info on your kit and rod bearing upgrade ill be in touch if i decide to go with an AA kit